• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Your favourite non-core spells?

gunter uxbridge

First Post
Fly, Swiftt...

Used it to swoop up on a wyvern and wack him with a Wand of Darkness. All we saw after that was a wobbly black orb move off into the distance and crash into some trees. No more wyvern!

My wizard/fighter bodyguard NPC uses Benign Transposition to get me and sometimes other party members out of bad situations. It has saved my skin more than once.

Light of Venya has been VERY useful against undead in our campaign. I used an empowered version of it once against a vampire, rolled a crit (ok in his case) and wound up doing 36d6 of damage with this third level spell. SMOKED'EM!!!

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
Lets see:

Arcane Spellsurge
Dimension Shuffle
Fins to Feet
Holy Storm
Ice Castle
Lay of the Land
Magic Convalescence
Meteoric Strike
Mantle of the Icy Soul
Mordenkainen's Capable Caravel
Stretch Weapon
Zone of Peace

rgard

Adventurer
RichGreen said:
Hi,

I was reading through the spells in Complete Mage this morning and it struck me how many interesting and flavourful (or just plain useful) spells there are in that book: Lightning Leap, Channeled Lifetheft and Fire & Brimstone to name just three.

What spells do you like to cast as a player or DM? I'm hoping to (re)discover some gems in my various WotC and d20 books!

Cheers

Richard

Complete Book of Eldritch Might: Utter Thrall. Who needs familiars or cohorts?

Mr. Beef

First Post
Two just off the top of my head that I like from the Spell Compendium:

Greater Mage Armor - 2 Points more to the Mage Armor Bonus (Making it a +6) and you get it at Caster Level 3.

Mass Mage Armor - Good for helping out party members that have little or no armor. Like other lower level Wizards, Sorcerers and Monks. Who could not use a +4 to their AC at Caster Level 3.

The Lesser and regular Orb spells. You get the Lesser Orb spells at Caster Level One and they make good ranged attacks along with Magic Missile. I really liked the Orb spells when they came out for D&D 3.0 in Tome and Blood and was let down that they were not in the 3.5 PHB.

I'm sure there's more in the Spell Compendium, but I have not looked through the whole thing yet.

Just my 1/4 pound.

Mr. Beef

Eridanis

Bard 7/Mod (ret) 10/Mgr 3
Three spells I use all the time with my wizard:

- Quintelemental Blast (5th level, CBoEM): It's a cone effect (not so good), but you can functionally ignore energy resistance, unless it's resistant to all five types. Metamagic with Purify Spell to remove the problem with nuking your party as well as the bad guys. Caps at 15d6. Strictly better than cone of cold at the same level.

- Orb of Force (4th level, SC): Force damage with no spell resistance, baby! Caps at 10d6 rather than 15d6, but it's worth it at mid-levels.

- Cacophonic Burst (5th level, SC): Fireball with sonic substitution, capping at 15d6.

Others worth having on a scroll:

- Teleport Tracer (CBoEM): Where'd he go? Cast this spell to find out the destination of the last teleport cast in the area.

- Teleport Coordinates Transfer (CBoEM): I've been there, but the sorcerer has not. No problem! Cast this off a scroll, give the other caster your knowledge of the target area, and you'll all (probably) get there safely.

Spells I use all the time with my cleric:

- Revivify (5th level, SC): If an ally has died within the past round, raise him with no level penalty and at -1 hps. It's a touch spell, so you gotta be able to get there first, unless you also cast a quickened...

- Rescue (3rd level, Spells & Spellcraft): Teleport a downed ally (within close range) to your side.

- Halo of Shelter (5th level, Book of Hallowed Might): Create a halo around target that absorbs 5 hps of damage per caster level. Like a proactive Cure Critical or Heal.

There are many, many others, of course. Part of the fun of the OGL!

sjmiller

Explorer
It seems that the spell that I am quite fond of only appears on the WotC website, and I guess it is rather unpopular. Why, I'm not sure, but there you go. It's called Arcane Bolt and can be found here . It's like Magic Missile, but it does 1d6 damage and there's a saving throw for half damage.

Voadam

Legend
sjmiller said:
It seems that the spell that I am quite fond of only appears on the WotC website, and I guess it is rather unpopular. Why, I'm not sure, but there you go. It's called Arcane Bolt and can be found here . It's like Magic Missile, but it does 1d6 damage and there's a saving throw for half damage.

I prefer rolling a d6 to d4+1 too. :)

Bad Paper

First Post
The druid in my campaign loves her sudden stalagmite, and the cleric is never without his wand of resurgence. The wizard throws around empowered orbs of force like they're candy.

Steel_Wind

Legend
Orb of Force is, hands down, the player's offensive spell of choice after fireball (or an acid verson of fireball).

Orb of Force is the ultimate mid-level boss killing spell. With no SR, no save and few common protections or counters to the spell, it is easily the most effective spell when confronting the Foozle of the Day in the Age of Worms.

In fact, I would argue that Orb of Force is so powerful that it is unbalanced. At the level the PCs are at (11th) these Orbs don't miss. Three in a row - together with miscellaneous melee damage - has been enough to take down every "boss monster" so far.

Yes - that's three 4th level spell slots. But Orb of Force ftw is so powerful that a wizard would be a fool not to take it.

Corsair

First Post
For my wizard:
  • Final Rebuke - A non-fort save or die! Yay! Very useful on big scary stupid monsters who otherwise have massive fort saves and enough HP to shrug off damaging spells.
  • Orb of Lightning - The higher damage cap makes it more useful to my Archmage than Orb of Force, and we had been fighting devils for a while (which generally aren't resistant to electricity.
  • Scintilating Sphere - Ditto the devil comment from above. Longer range than lightning bolt as well.
  • Ball Lightning - Like Flaming sphere, but better.

For my druid (may he rest in pieces):
  • Sudden Stalagmite - That's just cool.
  • Bite of the Werecritters - Yeah, I was playing a cheesed out warrior druid. Mainly due to the fact that we had grandfathered in pre-errata wildshape so I kept my monk's belt and stat boosters while wildshaped (since they could be worn by the new form)
  • Arc of Lightning - FZAP!

Remove ads