D&D General Your first D&D experiences?

My parents got a new computer in the late 90s that came with a free copy of Baldur's Gate (and The Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time). I played the heck out of that game and still do from time to time.

About a year later a friend introduced my brother and me to 3rd Edition D&D. He was the worst DM who enjoyed torturing my brother's character. It sucked. I only played sporadically over the next 12ish years before jumping into 4th edition with a group that I still play with now.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
My father gave me Tolkien novels as a kid. He was more of a sports guy and didnt really get gaming. One year he bought a box set for my brother and I, but we couldnt really grok the manual. We ended up sticking with HeroQuest for quite a while.

I had a friend who said he would run me through a game finally. This was late 80's. He learned by playing with his step-father. He had this weird notion that you had to play the game and level up as a player before trying to GM. As in, he had some arbitrary real life leveling system. For example he would only run the game for me for so far because his GM level was too low to keep it going. Thats just a fun quirky story about my early D&D experience.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
My friends’ older siblings played a game they called “AD&D” in what must have been like 98 or 99 cause I know they switched to 3rd edition when it came out. So I must have been 7 or 8 at the time, and they were a few years older, probably 11 or 12. My friends and I would overhear them talking about their campaign and it sounded like the coolest game we had ever heard of. They wouldn’t let us play with them, allegedly because it would be too complicated for us, but I’m sure it was mostly because they didn’t want to play with the little kids. Still, we were captivated by the idea, and would work the language we picked up from them into our games of pretend whenever possible. Picture a handful of 8 year olds running around the playground talking about their “prime requisites” and “weapon proficiencies” while they pantomime fighting with imaginary swords.

It wasn’t until 8th grade that I would actually play d&d. I switched schools that year and met one of my lifelong best friends, who had the core rulebooks for 3.5e, and had played before in a summer camp but didn’t know anyone at school who waned to play it with her… Until we met. I read her Player’s Handbook and made a character (an elf rogue) at lunch, and for the next week she DMed a one-on-one game for me over the phone after school every day. I remember that adventure ended after I found a magic wishing well and wished for a magical sword… And an orc or something appeared wielding the sword I had wished for and killed me.

HammerMan

Legend
How did you find D&D?
I was in a book store in upstate NY I was 12 or 13 and I saw the PHB and didn’t know what it was. I bought it and read a bit of “how to play” then waited until my best friend Becky came to see if I wanted to play ball and I told her we could play a game as Samus or Link or Conan or some mix.

We spent at least a month maybe 2 or 3 reading rereading and making characters and leveling them while we tried to just get a group togather.

Then we started world building and over 30 years later we are still world building and makeing characters (her kids do too now)

In the mid-80s a slightly older heavy metal kid ran a handful of sessions for my brother and me with only a rough adherence to the D&D rules. Stats and levels went into the hundreds very quickly. There was a wizard that lived in someone's hair. I had a pair of lightning-charged crystal daggers. Everything used a d6. It wasn't exactly coherent, but my brother and I fell in love immediately. I picked up the red box not long after that and started running my own game. By my estimation, I ran BECMI for about two years before "graduating" to AD&D.

I had played Rifts and 2 different new england LARPs, and one of the players of the Rifts game told me how he wanted to play D&D again... it was 1995 and I had my mom take me to the mall and I found the book store and the RPG shelf and found almost everything was AD&D... I bought a starter box set.
I went home and read it and thought it was similar to RIFTS... then that friend gave me his PHB and DMG to borrow. He then ran me through a single room dungeon then I made a world and he gave me a long list of house rules he said "made the game playable" (I don't think we tried RAW for like 3 years) and the entire RIFTs group got togather and I ran D&D

eyeheartawk

#1 Enworld Jerk™
My first ever game was a GURPS fantasy game at summer camp before the sixth grade.

My first D&D game was an AD&D 2e game where I made a barbarian with a magical loincloth. I remember nothing else about it. Except...

A thing that has bugged me since that very first session. What is happening here? Is this a human pose? Seriously, try doing this in the mirror.

Screenshot 2022-05-16 131231.png

My left arm is now sore from trying to make that pose.

My first ever game was a GURPS fantasy game at summer camp before the sixth grade.

My first D&D game was an AD&D 2e game where I made a barbarian with a magical loincloth. I remember nothing else about it. Except...

A thing that has bugged me since that very first session. What is happening here? Is this a human pose? Seriously, try doing this in the mirror.

View attachment 157184

HammerMan

Legend

View attachment 157184
I think that is a comic book artist. Bending in inhuman ways is kind of a thing for them

Remove ads