• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Your own personal gaming terms...

genshou

First Post
Nerfbag (n): A PC who rolled really low ability scores, and always has to be given the best magic items just to survive. The PC who rolled the lowest scores out of all the party is always considered a nerfbag, but sometimes there can be more than one.

Ninja (v): To sneak up on a target and drop them in a single blow.

Officer Friendly (n): Any NPC guard who isn't given a name by the DM and isn't hostile toward the PCs.

Boomstick (n): Wand of fireball.

Presto2112

Explorer
"Baby Unicorn" - a term adopted by the group after a character of mine, a gnome fighter rogue name Rinzari, to describe any thoughts of misplaced, unbridled optimism. Once while exploring a huge mansion taken over by an undead priest, we encountered a closed, locked door with an uneven shuffling behind it. The rest of the party was trying to determine what it could be, when my naive gnome piped up, "maybe it's a baby unicorn"

"Make it dead" - replaces "Power Word Kill", "Finger of Death", or any named death effect. "Hey, can you cast 'Make It Dead'?"

Merkuri

Explorer
NiTessine said:
"Happystick". A wand of cure light wounds, used in our Living Greyhawk group. Recently, a cleric of Wee Jas has also acquired an unhappystick, a wand of inflict light wounds.

Hehehehehe, I had to giggle at this one. I don't know why.

Our group doesn't have any of these that I'm aware of. Occasionally my boyfriend and I might refer to somebody pulling a "Trey", which indicates that a character was killed while under DM control because the player is absent. Named after a character in our last game who took around twice his max HP in damage by a monstrous scorpion of sorts (I don't remember exactly what it was). The DM ruled this meant he was reduced to a fine spray.

RigaMortus2

First Post
Natural "x" - Such as rolling a Natural 20, but the x can be any number on the die. When the DM asked a certain player what he rolled, he would always say Natural "whatever" even if it wasn't a Nat 20 or Nat 1. He'd say "Natural 18" and so forth. Then once he added his pluses and such, we called them:

Unnatural "x" - A modified die roll (usually an attack roll). Rolling an 18 on a d20 (would be a Natural 18, see above). When they add in BAB and Str into the equation, assume the sum of the roll is a 24. That would be an Unnatural 24 :)

Ogre's are tactical - Again, the same player once played an Ogre PC (out of Savage Species). Well this player would always run his characters the same, he was all "self preservation". So once his HPs started to drop, he would try and get away from combat (rather than wait for the Cleric to heal him). So we made fun of him saying he was "cowardly". Well, when he played his Ogre character (and did the same "cowardly" move) he tried to justify it by saying that it was a "tactical withdraw" and that "Ogres are known to be tactical" (where he got this I have no idea). So whenever someone tries to justify fleeing, we say "Ogres are tactical".

Critical success - Rolling a Natural 20 on a skill check. I critically succeed at spotting (whether they beat the DC or not).

Critical failure - Rolling a Natural 1 on a skill check. I critically fail at spotting (even if the total bonuses still beat the target DC).

Last edited:

kolikeos

First Post
kenobi65 said:
Cleric Initiative: a lousy initiative roll. Named such because many clerics both (a) have poor initiative modifiers, and (b) seem to frequently compound the bad modifier with a bad die roll.
heck! that is so emphatically true!

Last edited by a moderator:

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Thought of another one:

"Bag it, tag it, and drag it" - shorthand for "clean up the pulpy mess that was recently our fellow adventurer, and take whatever remains we can salvage along with us".

Lanefan

Chimera

First Post
D&Diablo A version of D&D where the players only want to walk around and have things attack them. They're only concerned with killing things and taking their stuff. Nothing more. Period. Monsters are stupid and MUST attack to the death. Plots are for sissies.

Insta-kill Monster Monsters that do too much damage for the characters they're thrown against. From a previous game where the GM thought that an Ogre backed by 4 Orcs was a good challenge for 6 2nd level characters. Ogre = +8 to hit, or >50% chance to hit ANY PC in the party. Average damage (2d8+7) = 16, or more than all but one PC in the group. Hence, a roughly 50% chance to kill any given character in any given round.

Rackhir

Explorer
My original college gaming group used "Prang" for an attack that fails to penetrate one's armor or is defeated by armor. As in "It prangs." Came out of a Runequest campaign, where it was supposed to be the sound that weapons made bouncing off of the bronze armor.

GuardianLurker

Adventurer
Lilied (adj.): From the Bug Bunny cartoons where he staggers around holding a lily before (pretending) to be dead. Used to mean an opponent is within one successful attack of being dead, most especially anything in single digit HP.

Zoom Up (v.): post-combat healing; from a campaign where the GM gave out an artifact that could cast CLW at will.

Belly-button lint (n.): What you find/see on a failed search/spot check.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads