D&D 5E Your PCs have Character Classes/Levels, and no one else does!

Are your PCs the only creatures in the game world with character classes and levels in those classes

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
In prior editions, many NPCs/creatures had character classes and levels. For example, in AD&D 1E, a sergeant in the guard might be a Fighter 3 or something.

In 5E, creatures don't have classes or levels (typically...?) but might have class features, of course.

So, I was just wondering:

Are your PCs the only creatures in the game world with character classes and levels in those classes???

(or the monster statblock equivalent)
To clarify for the poll, the statblock equivalent would be a "no". For example, if a statblock says a creature is a 9th-level caster, that is not the same as having a class and levels for the poll because they do not have a class.

Last edited:

Yaarel

He Mage
I voted Yes because that is a reasonable premise. People are normal, but the players are superhero-ish.

I feel it depends on the setting.

In some settings everyone has class levels (or the monster statblock equivalent). But in other settings, the player characters are unique anomalies.

In any case, I would happily play in a setting where the players are extraordinary.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
(or the monster statblock equivalent)
To clarify for the poll, the statblock equivalent would be a "no". For example, if a statblock says a creature is a 9th-level caster, that is not the same as having a class and levels for the poll because they do not have a class.

Ondath

Hero
I voted Other, because while most NPCs don't have classes (simply because it would be too tedious to build them that way), they might have class "tags" like the rule WotC introduced in Monsters of the Multiverse: So an enemy spellcaster might not just be a CR 6 Mage, but might have the Wizard tag and be able to trade spells with the party Wizard.

That said, I haven't entirely decided how prevalent people with "classes" should be in my campaign world. On the one hand, using classes as an ordinary descriptor in the fantasy world is nice, but makes PCs to be a dime in dozen (3.5 DMG's "each town of X size has Y NPCs of Z class and # Level" tables come to mind). On the other hand, I've considered making the special status of classed people official (akin to how in Genshin Impact, people with "Visions" are able to wield elemental powers and are canonically special), but it does seem weird thematically.

Yaarel

He Mage
I just meant in the sense of being noticeably more powerful than "normal".

Yaarel

He Mage
It occurs to me. 5e is already is this way.

Normally, only player characters have classes, but NPCs have monster statblocks.

Remove ads