Your "Pleasantly Surprised" Experiences (Anti-Heartbreakers)

Zweihander.

I finally sat down and gave it a good look, and I was very impressed with it. Not innovative per se, but it blatantly steals from a number of systems in order to produce something pretty good.

I've paired with a modified Harn (great maps).

innerdude

Legend
Fantasy Flight Games' narrative dice system / Edge of the Empire.

Which is not to say that I didn't have at least some expectation that it would work when I tried it, but the two sessions we got in before the pandemic broke up our group in March 2020 were excellent. I was expecting it to be fun, but was also expecting a lot more choppiness, slowdown, and overall "kludginess" than we experienced.

So overall it very much exceeded my expectations. Once we finish our Tiny D6 / Tiny Frontiers experiment for the next 4-6 weeks, I'm fully expecting to go back to it.

Most things PBTA have no modifier other than the relevant ability score.
Which is to say, a modifier.

Not really convinced by your case here mate. Particularly not that you appear to be basing it on the M*A*S*H RPG I once picked up by accident as part of a bundle lol. Wouldn't be like, my top candidate for convincing people of really anything except "there's nothing so absurd you can't make an RPG out of it!".

Reverting to d100-based tables to simulate what you could just do with 2d6 way faster and easier is magnificently "1985 in gaming" though.

Remove ads