• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Your Second Love

Benimoto

First Post
My friends and I, throughout most of high school, ran a mix of Mechwarrior and Battlelords of the 23rd Century. These days though, my second love is complicated board games. If my gaming group isn't playing D&D, we're playing Catan, or Descent, or Mutant Chronicles.

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
DnD was actually my second love. First was the Battletech miniatures game (which we turned into a Mechwarrior: Mercenaries style semi-roleplaying game).

Then we started playing DnD. It's been the most played of our systems, but I don't think it was ever my favorite. It's like a stable but not very exciting relationship you keep returning to between exciting, often short-lived romantic flings.

I've enjoyed playing Exalted far more than I've ever enjoyed playing DnD. I've enjoyed DMing Star Wars (d6 moreso than d20) and Alternity more than DnD.

The level-based highly-structured systemization of d20 systems often feels like a creative/"versimilitudinous"/realistic hinderance to the style of games I prefer to run.

Agamon

Adventurer
Probably Marvel or Top Secret back in the 80's. I don't think I really completely jived with another system until Mutants and Masterminds though.

Wormwood

Adventurer
Marvel Superheroes was my first foray into running a game after D&D. Damn, what an awesome game.

(followed shortly thereafter by Call of Cthulhu, which my local group wouldn't play because they were unlettered plebs---as 12-year old Wormwood would have been happy to tell you).

But the first game to revitalize my group (and bring chicks to the table!) was, like so many others, Vampire the Masquerade. It honestly saved the hobby for me and my friends.

The Little Raven

First Post
But the first game to revitalize my group (and bring chicks to the table!) was, like so many others, Vampire the Masquerade. It honestly saved the hobby for me and my friends.

Word. Vampire stopped me from leaving gaming altogether in the mid-1990s... and it was like Spanish Fly sometimes.

HelloChristian

First Post
Star Frontiers

Star Frontiers was so great. After swords and sorcery, lasers and grenades were awesome. I liked the skills, weapons, races, all of it. This was a game that was fun back then and would be fun now.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads