• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Your Second Love

JediSoth

Voice Over Artist & Author
After I learned D&D, I dabbled with other games. I recall with fondness playing Star Frontiers, but I only played a few sessions of that and until recently, never had my own copy.

Until about 1990, it was primarily D&D for me, then, I got the Star Wars RPG (WEG, d6). That was my second love. Still is, really.

Quantarum

First Post
I played a number of games after we first tired of AD&D, but most of them were unsatisfying. Then Villains and Vigilantes came along and for the first time I was able to dabble in game design. Quirky and hard to balance, it was nevertheless very playable. Even though we switched to Champions after a year I'll always have fond memories of playing myself as a superhero.

-Q.

ejja_1

First Post
1st love, er loves....

I started playing Advanced with my cousin, then I discovered kids in my school that played a bunch of different stuff. We played Car Wars, Battletech, Illuminati, Ogre and GEV, Star Frontiers, Paladium FRPG, TMNT, Heros Unlimited, Gurps, Champions and a ton of others.
I guess that I was kind of a gaming whore back then...

These days I play mostly D&D 3.5, but I do cheat occasionally....
Just dont tell 3.5 please, she gets drunk and starts shooting things when she gets mad....
Were getting counseling...

Razuur

First Post
Chronologically - my lives were:

First Love (1980s) = Hybridized (D&D boxed set, 1e DMG and BArd Games Arcanum)

Second Love (1980s) = FASA's Doctor Who and Star Trek games

Third Love (1990s)= World of Darkness

Fourth love (2000s)= D20

Final and Eternal love (2006 and beyond) = True20 - everything I ever wanted in a game is right here.

Razuur

Last edited:

Treebore

First Post
My second love is Traveller. To the point where I own a few books of every one of its incarnations.

Still, plenty of other game systems I would play, or run, in a heart beat. Of course, technically, D&D is no longer my first love. My C&C version of it is. Pure versions of D&D are my "1.5 Love".

In a attempt to rank the rest of what I "love":

L5R, especially the newest 3rd version of it. I love how the mechanics and the flavor of the setting complement each other, and is deadly, but not too much so.

Chivalry and Sorcery. I just fell in love with the rich detailed flavor of the whole thing.

Paladium Fantasy. I am not so much in love with the system, but the world is definitely one of my favorites and I ALWAYS draw upon it for campaign and adventure ideas.

Shadowrun. If you have played this you already know why. Just too frickin cool.

Mutants and Masterminds. It finally did supers in a way that I finally played and enjoyed the genre.

RIFTS and Synnibar. With some tweaks they are super powered fantasy done right. Just a lot of fun.

EPICrpg. I haven't actually played/ran this fully, but I keep coming back to it because, like L5R, its mechanics and flavor seem to combine very elegantly. Maybe I should say richly. Anyways, I need to make time to run this fully some time, and find out for sure.

There are others I just "like", but those listed I think I can honestly say say I love to some degree.

buzz

Adventurer
When you first started branching out from the system you started gaming in, what's the first system that really clicked for you?
I have a feeling that the first not-D&D RPG that had a real impact on me was the first edition of Champions, an unassuming little staple-bound book that was tucked in a corner of my local hobby shop. It's probably the only RPG from my childhood that I kept playing as I grew up (though I pretty much gave up on it about a year ago). I can't say that about D&D. Having lost me with 2e, it didn't win me back until 3e.

I would bet that I found Runequest around the same, too. I never really got to play it, but I still consider RQ2 one of the greatest RPGs.

SilverSnake

First Post
Stormbringer, the old Chaosium percentile version. Followed by Call of Cthulhu. Played the heck outta VtM all through the 90s, even ran a LARP in Eau Claire, WI for a while. But it always comes back to D&D.

Fallen Seraph

First Post
I would love to run a Changeling or Promethean game (if I was writing for either system and if I could run such a game at someone's home, I wouldn't run one of those two at a store, much to personal a game for being done in public). So I'm runing my #3 (Mongoose Traveller) since I am writing for that ATM.
It is sooo ridiculously hard to find people to play Promethean. Of all the nWoD games it is the most niche of them all. Then sometimes when you do get a group as soon as they find out about Disquiet and working toward becoming Human and such they lose interest.

It is incredibly frustrating for me since Promethean is my all time favourite RPG.

Remove ads