• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Your warlock invocation picks?

Particle_Man

Explorer
Personally, I would choose the following:

1st: Hideous Blow
2nd: Eldritch Spear
4th: See the Unseen
6th: Eldritch Chain, switch out Hideous Blow for Devil's Sight
8th: Fell Flight
10th: Flee the Scene
11th: Eldritch Cone, switch out Eldritch Chain for Voracious Dispelling
13th: Chilling Tentacles
15th: Virtriolic Blast
16th: Dark Foresight, switch out Flee the Scene for Walk Unseen
18th: Utterdark Blast
20th: Path of Shadow

Of course, one could add more Least Invocations at 6th and 9th, more Lesser invocations at 12th and 15th, and one more Greater Invocation at 18th, if one chooses to buy the feat Extra Invocation.

Well, those are my top-of-the-head picks; what are yours?

Last edited:

UltimaGabe

First Post
Well, in my next campaign, I'm gonna be playing a Gestalt Warlock/Wu Jen with a very martial-arts-kung fu-movie-esque feel to it, so my first two picks are Spiderwalk and Leaps and Bounds. I'm probably gonna change Leaps & Bounds to something like Hideous Blow, however.

Now, if I were playing a straight Warlock (that is, not Gestalt), I'm sure my picks would be very different.

Kabol

First Post
I think i would go with

1) Spear
2) See the Unseen
4) Hid. Blow
6) The Dead Walk
8) Fell Flight
10) Eld. Chain
11) Chilling Tenticles
13) Vitriolic Blast
15) Wall of Per. Flames
16) Utterdark Blast
18) Dark Forsight
20) Dark Discorp

Use feats at 6 adn 9 to get Walk Unseen and Voracious Dispelling.

I dont much like the Cone/Doom - I think Chain is prob more effective unless your facing hoards. 1) cause you can choose who it hits < opposed to cone > and can do it as distance < opposed to Doom > As well as Chain gives you chance to Crit at each Jump. And it works Very well id think with Virtriolic Blast.

Get improved Counterspell and Retroactive counter spell and use Voracious Dispelling for it to have a very potent character at stoping incomming nukes/debuffs.

Use the Dead walk in conjunction with Utterdark Blast and Eld chain to dmg the BBEG and have it Jump to your Undead minions for heals. TDWworks well for Cheap fodder and Flank lackies < since you can create undead without useing the 25gp regent, they just crumble to dust after a min or two >

Keep Hid. Blow and pick up a Whip - use it for trip/disarm attacks and you will channel your Eld blast so long as it hits < touch attack > IMHO - its a much better use of resources so loong as your within 15' - if not, just hurl Eld. Blasts

I prob would skip the Spell pen line, as you can use Vitriolic Blast to bypass SR, And it frees up 2 feats for Quicken SLA and Empower/Maximise SLA. Wonder, is there a Twined Spell Like Ability? that would be very nice.

Path of Shadow - well, Id prob never use it to much - when you can use your 1/day fast healing ability instead for a faster regen effect. Also - if you pick up some sory of Undead template for yourself, you can use utterdark blast as a heal.

Veldrane

First Post
Kabol said:
Get improved Counterspell and Retroactive counter spell and use Voracious Dispelling for it to have a very potent character at stoping incomming nukes/debuffs.

Is it possible?
I don't have the book yet, but I heard voracious dispelling has touch range, thus can't be used to counterspell...
If that isn't the case, it sure is a must pick

Kabol

First Post
Theres 2 dispelling Incantations.

Voracious Dispelling = Dispell magic+1 point of dmg per spell lvl dispelled. Lesser Incantation, Effectivly a 4th lvl spell.

Devour Magic = Touch Greater dispell + 5 Temp Hps per lvl dispelled. Greater Incantation, Effectivly a 6th lvl spell. Plus, its Greater dispell, so greater chance of working.

Veldrane

First Post
Kabol said:
Voracious Dispelling = Dispell magic+1 point of dmg per spell lvl dispelled. Lesser Incantation, Effectivly a 4th lvl spell.
Devour Magic = Touch Greater dispell + 5 Temp Hps per lvl dispelled. Greater Incantation, Effectivly a 6th lvl spell. Plus, its Greater dispell, so greater chance of working.

Thank you for the clarification, so it seems that, if there's no way to use Devour Magic at distance, the Warlock won't be a counterspeller after all. Dispel Magic is pretty useless in mid to high levels, and no one would blow three feats for such a low chance of dispelling.

GreyWanderer

First Post
Warlocks First Thoughts

This isn't a reply exactly, but I thought it would be best to keep all the Warlock related material together.

What are peoples thoughts on the class? Personally, I like it. In a way, it's the Sorcerer class, but more so. No finess from years of study and practice (like a Wizard), just raw power that they can barely control.

I like it from a role-playing point of view. I've played characters over the years that would have been perfect for this class. I've always liked the 'born with evil power but choose to use it for good' concept. Kind of like Hellboy (or some myths about Merlin). One character I played for a while was a spellcaster whose power came from his father ( Azmodeous - don't go nuts, all he got was the spellcasting ability). He only made it to 3rd level, but I wanted to explore that concept; maybe I'll bring him back sometime as a Warlock.

DungeonmasterCal

First Post
I think someone here on ENWorld has mentioned this already, but the warlock seems more like the type of spellcaster we see in a lot of movies, comics, and cartoons. Blasting off bolts of magical energy is the hallmark of sooooooo many wizards in popular media.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
DungeonmasterCal said:
I think someone here on ENWorld has mentioned this already, but the warlock seems more like the type of spellcaster we see in a lot of movies, comics, and cartoons. Blasting off bolts of magical energy is the hallmark of sooooooo many wizards in popular media.

And? Do you have something constructive to say, or did you just come here for some whine?

A question on hideous blow - does the melee attack come as part of the standard action used, or do you need to fire it and then attack on a subsequent round?

Particle_Man

Explorer
The way I read it, you make a meelee attack as a standard action, and if the attack hits (not a touch attack, a regular attack) then hideous blow allows you to put an eldritch blast damage (and perhaps other effects) into that attack, in addition to the meelee weapon damage. You can't make other meelee attacks that round (unless you are hasted or something) but you still have a move-equivalent action (for drawing that meelee weapon, I guess). In fact, I would say that this would be one case where your invocation does not draw an Aoo, since this sort of invocation seems to be part of something else (much as the skill adjusting invocations are). [Edit: on the other hand, I could easily see it requiring a "Cast on the defensive" so maybe I am wrong on this]. So the upside is that you can attack with one eldritch blast enhanced meelee attack per round. The downside is that you have d6 hp, simple weapons and light armor and Gorg the Fighter is NOT HAPPY at your puny blast-enhanced meelee attack scuffing up his Full Plate Armor. :)

But I suppose one could read it the other way, where first you cast the invocation, and then it sits there in your hand, so that next round you attack with it. Doesn't seem to fit the "energizer bunny" feel that they seem to be going for, though.

Last edited:

Remove ads