• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

You're doing what? Surprising the DM

JamesonCourage

Adventurer
Han Solo, by the end of Empire was a captain. So, why isn't the Rebellion rescuing him? Why are they sending an ambassador to do it?
They aren't; Leia and Chewie want to rescue him, and are following Luke's plan, which calls for subtlety, not an attack that will cost the Rebellion resources. It wasn't a Rebellion effort, but it was done by people within the Rebellion, because they cared for / loved Han.
But, of course, you're also ignoring the entire point of my little example. Han Solo's player keeps everything secret, but, now wants the rest of the group to completely drop their own in-game responsibilities to rescue Han. The only justification for it is really, Because Han has a PC halo.
Actually, you're kinda ignoring my point, which isn't "PC halo." It's "they love and care about him in-game, and thus are trying to rescue him."
Because N'raac has spent considerable effort to tell us that he has no interest in spending time during character generation beyond the bare minimum to generate a character. Without linked backstories, why would the characters want to travel together? The whole random group of strangers meet at the Color/Animal Inn to receive a job isn't really a reason.
I mean, it's not one you accept?

How many TV shows, movies, books, etc. have people coming together? Backstory starts somewhere. Engineer the first session so that everyone has a reason to band together; everyone is persecuted by the same people, for example (they aren't interested in people switching sides; could be a brutal warlord, undead invasion, or whatever).

Mind you, I like making sure my players have reasons to be together before the game begins / a new character shows up. The 8th line of my RPG in Chapter 1: Character Creation is "Rule 1: The character must work in a group." A couple lines down is "Rule 3: The character must have a reason to be with the party." I definitely want this defined pre-play, but I've only done this to ease things. I've run games where this wasn't the case, and I've played in games where this wasn't the case. They don't implode, and don't have to rely on any "PC halo" to be plausible.
He might have a reason for adventuring with the rest. But, there's no reason for them to keep adventuring with him and pretty good reasons to cut him loose. Since there's no backstory actually tying the characters together, the only thing that really ties them is whatever goals they are pursuing at the moment.
This is true depending on context; if they can complete their goal without him, aren't very close friends with him (if you send him away, good chance he'll die without your help), etc. However, if you need him with you, or you care about his life, etc., then you may just take that risk to watch out for him.
But, Bob's character has goals which are actively interfering with those goals that are tying the group together. And the other players are not allowed to simply cut him loose because Bob's character has a PC halo. They have no real ties, but, we're obligated to play out every complication brought to the table.
I don't consider backstory ties the only kind of ties that bind people together.
I'm mostly reacting to N'raac's characterization that any playstyle other than his is obviously doomed to failure as one scene hog forces the rest of the group to play what he wants to play. The problem I'm having here is that his Bob character is a scene hog who is forcing the rest of the group to play what he wants to play and doesn't even have to get the rest of the group to buy into it first.
Okay, I get that you don't like his scene-hog exaggeration. I'm just asking about the backstory stuff, though. As always, play what you like :)

Hussar

Legend
They aren't; Leia and Chewie want to rescue him, and are following Luke's plan, which calls for subtlety, not an attack that will cost the Rebellion resources. It wasn't a Rebellion effort, but it was done by people within the Rebellion, because they cared for / loved Han.

Tying up the leader of the Rebellion (or at least one of the high ups), a general and the only Jedi in existence isn't costing the Rebellion resources? Really?

Actually, you're kinda ignoring my point, which isn't "PC halo." It's "they love and care about him in-game, and thus are trying to rescue him."

That's the veneer that's put in place to give it plausibility. Doesn't hold any real water on deeper examination, but, hey, it's Star Wars, it's not meant to hold a whole lot of water. It's about as deep as the average rain puddle. In a serious game where there are consequences to actions, spending significant time trying to rescue Han means that the Empire has that much more time to build the new Death Star. If Luke dies, the Empire wins.

But, hey, all that doesn't matter. Our PC friend needs our help, so, off to help him we go because we are obligated to play out any and all complications at the table. Whether or not it's actually in character or makes any logical sense to do so isn't important.

I mean, it's not one you accept?

How many TV shows, movies, books, etc. have people coming together? Backstory starts somewhere. Engineer the first session so that everyone has a reason to band together; everyone is persecuted by the same people, for example (they aren't interested in people switching sides; could be a brutal warlord, undead invasion, or whatever).

Mind you, I like making sure my players have reasons to be together before the game begins / a new character shows up. The 8th line of my RPG in Chapter 1: Character Creation is "Rule 1: The character must work in a group." A couple lines down is "Rule 3: The character must have a reason to be with the party." I definitely want this defined pre-play, but I've only done this to ease things. I've run games where this wasn't the case, and I've played in games where this wasn't the case. They don't implode, and don't have to rely on any "PC halo" to be plausible.

That's true. They don't always implode. But, IME, they do far more often than not. I think it's pretty telling that you would add rules for this to your RPG. If it wasn't important, why did you add it. If it doesn't make any difference, aren't you just wasting everyone's time?

This is true depending on context; if they can complete their goal without him, aren't very close friends with him (if you send him away, good chance he'll die without your help), etc. However, if you need him with you, or you care about his life, etc., then you may just take that risk to watch out for him.

I don't consider backstory ties the only kind of ties that bind people together.

Okay, I get that you don't like his scene-hog exaggeration. I'm just asking about the backstory stuff, though. As always, play what you like :)

But, what if I don't? What if I actually don't care about the other PC? Do I still have to go along with his highjacked storyline? Why does Bob get to dictate what the group will do, and I have to sit through it?

Going back to the cultists example. First time the cultists attack, Bob doesn't say anything because he doesn't want to reveal his secret. The other PC's go and do a some fact finding and get the basic gist of what the cult is and their goals but, can't get anything really specific because the DM doesn't want to reveal Bob's secret. So, they continue on. The cultists attack again. Again Bob doesn't say anything.

Now, what do the other players do? They've exhausted their avenues of investigation. The DM doesn't want to drop Bob's big reveal and Bob is holding the information that the rest of the group needs in order to put everything together. But, the rest of the group, who have no investment in this storyline is being forced to interact with it because Bob insists that his secret come into play.

Even after Bob reveals his secret, the other players have no investment in it. Sure, they like Bob, but, I, the player, signed up to play the Shackled City Adventure Path. Everyone at the table agreed that that's what we wanted to play. I don't want to play Bob's Cult Adventures. I wasn't even asked, but, now I'm apparently obligated to play Bob's Cult Adventures.

At best, it's bait and switch. The players signed up for one game, but, get forced to play a different game.

JamesonCourage

Adventurer
Tying up the leader of the Rebellion (or at least one of the high ups), a general and the only Jedi in existence isn't costing the Rebellion resources? Really?
Well, not ship resources, which was necessary against the Empire. (And Leia wasn't the leader, as there were several others... notably Mon Mothma, but Leia was definitely higher up.) However, when they leave, nobody can force them not to go. I mean, you can imprison them (or try to, with Luke), but you lose those resources either way, don't you? Again, they went to save a friend, not to serve the Rebellion. Thus, my "it wasn't a Rebellion effort" statement (that you quoted).
That's the veneer that's put in place to give it plausibility.
Lol, okay. Love and care and developing friendships / romance? No, implausible! It never, ever happens in real life or fiction. Must be "PC halo"!

Consider me unconvinced by the "nuh uh" argument that was essentially just presented.
In a serious game where there are consequences to actions, spending significant time trying to rescue Han means that the Empire has that much more time to build the new Death Star. If Luke dies, the Empire wins.
Thus highlighting just how much they're risking for their friend, how much Luke has grown in power and confidence, etc. It serves several narrative purposes, there.
But, hey, all that doesn't matter. Our PC friend needs our help, so, off to help him we go because we are obligated to play out any and all complications at the table. Whether or not it's actually in character or makes any logical sense to do so isn't important.
Again, your idea of "makes sense" is alien to me. But that's because I don't see people risking everything for people they've come to know and care about as "out of character" for real life or fiction. To me, that's part of the "hero" archetype that pops up quite often. And I'm okay with it.
That's true. They don't always implode. But, IME, they do far more often than not. I think it's pretty telling that you would add rules for this to your RPG. If it wasn't important, why did you add it. If it doesn't make any difference, aren't you just wasting everyone's time?
They don't implode more often than not in my experience, so we differ there. But, yes, I included that I added rules to my game for it for a reason. I'm glad that it's "telling"; I wanted that part of my post to say something. I value characters having a reason to be together, as I've seen PCs walk away from a party far too often (the game doesn't implode there, though). I really wanted to curb that unless we specifically decide to play under a different style (which I talk about in my Running a Game chapter).

My point, of course, is that people can definitely have a reason to be together after play begins. I made that since you kept asking "why would they care?"
But, what if I don't? What if I actually don't care about the other PC?
Then you didn't adhere to my Rule 1 and Rule 3 of character creation, and thus you might be causing the group issues.
Do I still have to go along with his highjacked storyline? Why does Bob get to dictate what the group will do, and I have to sit through it?
If this is the case, he's violating Rule 2: The PC should be fun for the player and the party. Thus, he might be causing group issues.
Going back to the cultists example. First time the cultists attack, Bob doesn't say anything because he doesn't want to reveal his secret. The other PC's go and do a some fact finding and get the basic gist of what the cult is and their goals but, can't get anything really specific because the DM doesn't want to reveal Bob's secret. So, they continue on. The cultists attack again. Again Bob doesn't say anything.
Play style difference so far: I wouldn't hold back the secret if it'd naturally come out. (But, if Bob explicitly told me privately during character creation that he wants a secret for a while, I'd work something out with him that fit the campaign that'd be hard to pry up.)
Now, what do the other players do? They've exhausted their avenues of investigation. The DM doesn't want to drop Bob's big reveal and Bob is holding the information that the rest of the group needs in order to put everything together. But, the rest of the group, who have no investment in this storyline is being forced to interact with it because Bob insists that his secret come into play.
Well, to be fair, the cult involvement in a GM decision, not a Bob decision. It's also hard to imagine very many "they've exhausted their avenues of investigation" scenarios. There are many ways they can go about finding stuff out, including hiring other people to help them when their skills fail. But, sure, they might run out; I just feel that's pushing it further and further into a corner case, though.
Even after Bob reveals his secret, the other players have no investment in it. Sure, they like Bob, but, I, the player, signed up to play the Shackled City Adventure Path. Everyone at the table agreed that that's what we wanted to play. I don't want to play Bob's Cult Adventures. I wasn't even asked, but, now I'm apparently obligated to play Bob's Cult Adventures.

At best, it's bait and switch. The players signed up for one game, but, get forced to play a different game.
In AP play, you have more grounds for this than you'd ever get in my games (all homebrew). Again, I get where you're coming from, even if I disagree with the wording. Not sure what this has to do with what I asked about, though (backstories and party cohesion). As always, play what you like :)

N'raac

First Post
My group doesn't use anything as formal as this, but we use informal techniques - tossing around PC ideas, background ideas, etc - to try and get similar sorts of results: PCs who are connected to one another, or to similar goals/themes.

I think the game needs some basic character generation ground rules. That may be as simple as “altruistic boy scouts” or “cynical money-driven mercenaries”, but some guidance an agreement as to the type of game we will be playing and the kind of characters that will fit. It does not have to be a joint/group character development system, nor is it essential that all, or any, of the characters have met before.

Like @Campbell, I'm not entirely sure whaty you're trying to show. Upthread, you expressed puzzlement at Hussar's criteria for a good game. You (and other posters) professed not to be able to see why Hussar would have a different outlook on the siege, or the city, compared to the desert and the nomads. Hussar (and a different group of other posters) have tried to explain this. Are you saying:

• that you still don't understand the explanation?
  • that you regard the explanation as unsatisfactory (ie you still think Hussar's distinction of preferences is irrational)?
  • that that is not how you would want to run a game?
For myself, I still see no clear delineation between “siege” and “desert nomads” other than “Hussar likes one thing that delays entry to the city and dislikes another”. The acceptance of one and not the other actually renders his views less consistent than previous to the siege discussion, to me. But I doubt we’re going to get any closer to understanding each others’ views in that regard, so it’s not worth a bunch more discussion.
You really think that can't be done in a collaborative chargen setup? But, at this point, the player has just told the DM, "I don't want to have anything to do with how this campaign is set up. I want the DM to do all the work while I passively spoon up everything that falls off the plot wagon."

I get criticized for assuming the worst of other players and the GM. Then you toss out the “player is a useless lump” argument. At the end of the day, a lot of these issues on both sides come down to trust. I don’t need to set all the details of what will, and will not, arise in the game. I TRUST the GM and the other players to add elements that will be interesting and engaging, and I do not need (or even want) all those elements laid out before me in a roadmap. You TRUST the other players not to abuse their veto power, or skip scene power. My view is that, if I lack trust in the former, I can have no more faith in the latter. The reverse is also true.

Ok, I've been really, really patient about not presuming bad faith on anyone in the examples.

No, actually, you haven’t. You assume the GM will include irrelevant, boring encounters if you don’t cut him off by circumventing his scenes (such as the desert). You assume that the other players will use any leeway you provide them to “hijack the game” or scene hog. I point out that it is just as possible to hijack the game or scene hog under your model, and you get your back up and accuse me of “jumping to the worst possible conclusion”, but you fail to perceive that you also assume the worst possible conclusion of any approach that does not match your preferred model.

You automatically assume that chargen will be dominated by one loudmouthed guy.

I assume that, if there is a jerk in the group who is able to, and willing to, dominate the game with secrets in his background, he will be just as willing to, and may still be able to, dominate the game with veto power, scene skipping power and “collaborative character generation” mechanics. I do not believe either approach effectively deals with a jerk in the group, so I don’t rely on either approach to achieve this objective.

After all, every character must be linked to at least two other characters. Which means, at the very, very minimum, you're going to have two goals at the outset.

Out of how many that I may have put forward and had shot down? Are you seriously going to tell me that my wish to have the Dark Cult plotline will be greeted with open arms and full buy-in if I tell everyone about it up front, but will be a boring waste of time if you have to find out about it a few sessions into the game? I don’t see it that way but, again, I don’t find a group-generated plot railroad at all superior to a GM created railroad. They are both railroads.

Not because I'm the Loudmouthed Jerk who has to make things All About Me, but because I believe in a far more collaborative style game than you do.

You keep talking about a collaborative game, but you also demand unilateral veto rights (“skip the desert as I am not interested”, for example). The former and the latter are not, to me, consistent.

Star Wars has been brought up as an example of mystery, so, let's use Han Solo for a second. Now, Han has a backstory element - he owes money to Jabba The Hutt. But, let's presume, for the moment, that he wants to keep this secret from the rest of the group. He presents himself as a mercenary out for money with no real attachment to the Rebel cause. Note, everyone else in the group (apart from Chewie I suppose) has direct links to the Rebel Cause. This is what the campaign is going to be about.

So, just before they fly off to fight the Death Star, Han's player announces he's leaving because he has something he has to do. He's gotten paid, and he flies off. Luke's acid comments about "That's all you are good for" ring pretty true. Han comes back in the nick of time, so, everything is still good. Note, nothing, at this point in the campaign, has actually happened that connects Han's background to the events in the game. Apart from a very short bit with Greedo I suppose, but, since Han is alone at that time, no one actually knows about that because it was done away from the table to maintain Han's secret.

So, forward to Empire Strikes Back. Again, Han announces he's leaving because he's got to go see a man about a horse. The other players, by this point, are asking him why he's leaving, but, he remains mum about it. The in game situation, which everyone else is directly invested in, interrupts Han's plans (frustrating Han's player to no end) but, he keeps playing through it because he's at a N'raac style table and he's not allowed to voice any disagreement with the group.

Or he keeps playing through it because he continues to enjoy the game. Not everything has to be about him, or linked to his background. And what is he “directly invested in”? To the point of the attack on Hoth, Han has done precisely two unselfish things in the entire series/game. He saved Luke at the Death Star, and he saved Luke in the frozen wasteland (and what did that frozen wasteland, or the attack on it, have to do with the overall plot anyway?). It seems like Han may not be as bitter and cynical as he likes to portray. He has certainly found a soft spot for Luke.

Oh, and how is the trip to Bespin NOT about Han’s background? He is leveraging that Lando guy he won the Falcon from to resolve a challenge in the game.

Finally, The Big Reveal. Han is caught by Vader and given to the bounty hunters. Before the rescue, he gets frozen in carbonite (removed from the game - a direct consequence of his own actions) and carted away. Everyone else finishes up the storyline and moves on.

Now it's Return of the Jedi. There is a huge galactic war going on. A new Death Star is being constructed. There's death and chaos everywhere and things look hopeless for our PC's.

I don’t recall the PC’s knowing a second Death Star is under construction.

Han's player pipes up, "Uh, guys, aren't you going to come and rescue me?"

Now, why would they? They have no investment in this. This is entirely Han's player's thing. At no point was the rest of the group every consulted about this, nor did they ever have any real chance of fixing this. Had Han's player simply turned to Leia and asked her to use her spy network to forward the money to Jabba, or, considering this is an SF setting, had he just used some sort of banking service, he'd be in the clear. But, no, he kept it secret.

So, now the entire group is expected to drop whatever they are actually invested in, so that they can retrieve Han's character from a situation that none of them are even remotely invested in. The only reason is because Han's character has a glowing PC halo above him, so that makes him important. Things like the Princess doing her duty to her people, Jedi ethics about the greater good, all that kind of stuff? Don't matter. We are presented with this plot and we must follow it to its conclusion.

Yeah, as a player in this game, I'd have booted the Han PC from the group after Hoth and gotten someone we could actually trust and who actually wanted to play the same game as the rest of us.

Why would Luke be motivated to rescue Han? Who saved Luke’s life in the Death Star trench? Who saved Luke’s life in the frozen Hoth wastelands? Gosh, you’re right - I can’t see how that could have engendered any loyalty to Han! So Leia is falling in love with him – that wasn’t part of our agreed upon plot. How DARE her player want her to actually develop and grow – just keep spending xp to enhance your Blaster and Diplomacy skills, chickie!

In my game, it would not matter whether Han were a PC or an NPC – his actions would be judged by the PC’s, and THEY would decide whether they want to expend the time, and risk their lives, to rescue him. They would not be railroaded into the “Defeat the Empire above all else” plotline – not by the GM, not by some preordained plan of the “collaborative players’ union” and not by one player who wants to skip that scene when the rest of the players want to play it through.

In my games, the players would play their characters and make their choices. Maybe they would decide that Han’s not worth it. Sorry, buddy – your character is a wall hanging, so you need a new character. Maybe one PC decides that continued activity with the Rebellion is more important – so maybe that player, who is out of step with the group, needs a new character.

You are confusing two examples. In my game, Bob's secret would be known by everyone at the table and at least two of the PC's would have a vested interest in Bob's character. Thus, there is a built in reason for keeping Bob around.

In N'raac's game, the only reason to keep Bob around is because he has a PC halo. None of the other characters have any investment in keeping him around. They don't drive the answer out of him because players are obligated to play out any complication that is presented to them. There is no investment, no buy in. Only obligation.

OK, just for the record, I think if you go back you will find my comment that I hate the “PC Halo”. I expect Bob’s PC to be treated in accordance with his actions. As I have said before, the PC needs positives to outweigh his negatives.

Those positives need not (and, IMO, should not) be backstory driven. If we write up our backstories that one PC is Bob’s younger brother who always idolized him as a kid, and a second is Bob’s old war buddy, does that require them to be loyal to BobPC through thick and thin, no matter what? Or are they expected to role play? Maybe BobPC is greedy and selfish, expects the other PC’s to risk their lives for him, and flees at the first sign of danger to himself. No matter those backstory links, my character is not going to put up with that. He’s endangering the group – he needs to go.

Maybe travel on the road is the first time my character met BobPC. And, during that travel, danger erupted. BobPC and my character fought side by side. They risked their lives together, and have probably saved each others’ lives a dozen times over. They have forged a bond as strong as any brothers. BobPC is endangered by this cult? My PC is there – BobPC has earned that loyalty.

That paragraph could come out of backstory, but it relies on BobPC continuing to be played consistent with that backstory, and not as a selfish, greedy coward. Or that paragraph could describe what has previously happened in play, in which case its consistency with the way BobPC is played has clearly been established. To me, “established in play” is far more powerful.

“Backstory” is what has gone before. It may be unplayed, or it may have been played. It lead the characters to this moment. But a backstory that has been played out is more powerful, and creates more engaging characters, relationships, loyalties and motivations by far than a backstory that is a scrap of paper or a discussion before we started the game. At least to me.

N'raac

First Post
I don't think this follows. I assume the party still has a reason to be together, thus my reasoning of "they're willing to protect him, even if it puts them in harm's way." Additionally, since N'raac seems to want to keep player knowledge separate from PC knowledge, I assume that he has a reason that his PC is with Bob's PC (and that Bob's PC has a reason to be with the party). Even if they don't know about the cult, they'd have a reason to protect Bob.

But, I'm not sure what N'raac's party dynamic truly looks like. I do imagine that it's a lot less meta-based than "PC halo", though. Maybe he can clear that up, because I think my assumption of his play style is where my confusion with your posts comes from. As always, play what you like

If anything, I think this pre-fab background creates a “PC Halo”. Despite the fact that BobPC, throughout every episode of play, is a cowardly selfish hedonistic bastard, my background says I am loyal to him, an so I will be.

Leia has massive political obligations which she completely ignores to go off and save Han. Luke has an entire code that would tell him not to save Han. Chewie, I'll give you.

"Because he's my friend" is a bit much when we're talking about leaders of the Rebellion. Luke is a Commander and thus subject to a chain of command. Leia is one of the leaders of the rebellion. Both completely ignore their obligations to go save a "friend". And, they get to do so without any consequence too. Convenient that.

It seems like the Rebellion is a pretty loose affiliation, doesn’t it? Maybe none of the players agreed this would be a game about being subject to orders in a rigid military structure, so that is not being imposed on them. Or maybe the GM looked at the way the players were having a blast and decided not to toss in such an impediment (after all, when he tried that in the Star Trek campaign, the players pretty much blew off Starfleet and took off on their own anyway).

What I see above is one player seeking to override the wishes of the group. One player is saying "Because he's my friend is a bit much when we're talking about leaders of the Rebellion”, when the rest of the players are saying “Rescuing Han is what my character would do, and it’s a scene I want to play out”.

And who made them “the leaders of the rebellion”? Leia was a spy (the planet she was both princess and ambassador on was destroyed, remember?), and Luke and Han were there to pilot at Yavin IV. They weren’t calling any shots on Hoth, other than Luke suggesting maybe we could use those cables to slow down the Walkers. Promotions come pretty fast and thick – Han shoots a couple of Tie Fighters, now he’s a Captain. He comes back after Hoth, volunteers for a mission on Endor, and suddenly he’s a General. I wonder how many scenes we skipped where those ranks were earned!

They weren’t calling the shots in RoTJ either – they mostly volunteered for the already planned mission on Endor, while Lando took his orders from fleet leadership.

Why do you make this assumption? Nothing N'raac has said has shown this. To the contrary, in his examples, the group has very little reason to be together - the Wizard and the Cleric and the Fighter have mutually exclusive goals, for example. N'raac is all about "Story Now", so there is no linking of backstories in his games. So, beyond, "Well, we're all PC's", there is no real reason to help Bob.

Actually, it seems to me “story now” was your/Pemerton’s mantra. That was why we had to skip ahead to the city because “nothing in the desert could be overly relevant”.

Reasons to help BobPC? I don’t like evil cults. I favour the underdog. Pretty lightweight stuff at campaign inception – which is why a complication like this may not appear right at the outset.

After a few game sessions, I may have more reasons to help BobPC. He has proven himself a loyal comrade in battle. Maybe he’s saved my life at risk to his own. We’ve worked together for a period of time and I’ve grown to like him. I get to learn about BobPC from his actual actions in play, not his assumed pre-play actions, which may or may not be consistent with his in-game activity.

I look at the Bob example like this. Bob's player wants to inject a complication into the game without doing any of the work of actually getting any buy-in from the other players. Additionally, the players are now obligated to play out Bob's complication, despite zero buy-in. And, it's now up to the DM to somehow gain buy-in from the other players, despite the fact that the complication has nothing to do with those players and is pretty much solely Bob's complication.

If the other PC’s want to cut BobPC loose, that’s their decision. I like to hope that BobPC brings some positives to the table, and that the other PC’s are also a bundle of positive aspects and negative complications.

I would also note that, as a PLAYER, battle against that evil cult seems like a heroic challenge – while such a complication may be a negative to my PC, it stands to be a significant positive to the game play, and all the players.

In other words, I trust Bob, and the GM, to make these complications an interesting, entertaining challenge in the game, not a mechanism to punish all the players because one of them actually included some plot hooks in his character.

In a group where everyone is obligated to play whatever complication is presented at the table, this works. I don't want to play at that table though.

Again, I’m not seeing the obligation. We could certainly decide to cut BobPC loose, although I suspect that’s not what most of my PC’s would do. But where I think we really differ is your need to have every game occurrence vetted by everyone at the table before it may be introduced. I value the mystery and uncertainty of unexpected complications, and I TRUST the other players and the GM to add in complications that will add to, not detract from, the game. In a collaborative structure, I would have to have that same TRUST that authority vested in all the players and the GM will not be abused. I don’t think I need any more trust under the collaborative system, but I certainly don’t need any less.

No one at my table is ever obligated to play anything.

No. Instead, they are obligated to skip things, based on your “if one player wants to skip it, we skip it” mantra. I don’t find that a clearly superior playstyle.

If we as a group are going to play, say, Shackled City, and Bob gets the DM to introduce the secret cult thing, then I don't really want to play. I'm there to play Shackled City, not Bob's Cult Game. Bob's Cult Game might be tons of fun. Sure. But, that's not what I signed up to play. It's bait and switch and I really don't enjoy that.

Gosh, if we as a group are going to play Shackled City, I would expect to PLAY Shackled City. I would not have read it beforehand, so for all I know, the Cult is part of Shackled City and the GM and Bob have integrated his PC into this aspect of the adventure. But even if we agreed it’s the AP, and just the AP, and nothing outside the AP, I would then expect to play through the wasteland with is part of Shackled City, not have a player insist on bypassing it and get in a snit if he doesn’t get his way “just because” the rules don’t support his suggested means of skipping it.

N'raac

First Post
Han Solo, by the end of Empire was a captain. So, why isn't the Rebellion rescuing him? Why are they sending an ambassador to do it?

It looks like a volunteer force of Rebellion forces has undertaken to (or perhaps volunteered to) rescue him. I don’t recall seeing a scene where Han, Chewie, and Leia volunteered for the Endor mission either.

True. But, the decision isn't even questioned. We send a General, an Ambassador and a Commander on a rescue mission to pick up a Captain? Really? But, of course, you're also ignoring the entire point of my little example. Han Solo's player keeps everything secret, but, now wants the rest of the group to completely drop their own in-game responsibilities to rescue Han. The only justification for it is really, Because Han has a PC halo.

I get the sense the Rebellion runs a lot more on volunteerism than a chain of command and series of orders. Or maybe the GM set this crack commando squad up with much more leeway than regular troops to avoid railroading the players, or being accused of doing so, with missions assigned by those NPC higher ups.

We’re not ignoring your point, by the way. We simply do not agree with you that the PC’s cannot form a bond for reasons other than PC Halo. Now, PC’s do have a huge advantage in forming bonds – they get a lot more screen time than most NPC’s. But that also gives them the opportunity to create a negative impression, and I don’t find my players shy away from indicating their character is unhappy with another character’s actions. But most of my players like playing heroes, so they generally find their characters get along OK. Even without some pre-fab backstory links (and some of those tend to seem pretty contrived, in my experience).

Because N'raac has spent considerable effort to tell us that he has no interest in spending time during character generation beyond the bare minimum to generate a character. Without linked backstories, why would the characters want to travel together? The whole random group of strangers meet at the Color/Animal Inn to receive a job isn't really a reason.

How did you meet your friends and co-workers? I suggest you lived through a shared “backstory”. We all set out to accomplish something. Our paths crossed. We found we worked well together. We found we liked each other. Lack of linked backstories doesn’t mean a lack of backstories, goals or personalities that may mesh. I also find my players are willing to tweak these a bit if it will make for a more cohesive whole. But I also find it’s a pretty dull game if all the characters are a riff on the same theme, and their decisions more or less interchangeable.

Since there's no backstory actually tying the characters together, the only thing that really ties them is whatever goals they are pursuing at the moment.

Initially? Possibly. Bonds do form. People do keep in touch with people they worked with in the past, and can seek opportunities to work with them in the future.

But, Bob's character has goals which are actively interfering with those goals that are tying the group together. And the other players are not allowed to simply cut him loose because Bob's character has a PC halo. They have no real ties, but, we're obligated to play out every complication brought to the table.
The players can decide their ties. The other PC’s can certainly cut BobPC loose. Can they not do so in your game, if BobPC’s current issues and behaviour are negative, and override those pre-play backstory ties, or does “backstory halo” link us together forever? I don’t consider that in any way superior to a “PC Halo” – I pretty much despise both.

I'm mostly reacting to N'raac's characterization that any playstyle other than his is obviously doomed to failure as one scene hog forces the rest of the group to play what he wants to play. The problem I'm having here is that his Bob character is a scene hog who is forcing the rest of the group to play what he wants to play and doesn't even have to get the rest of the group to buy into it first.

So it is wrong for me to assume a player in your model might be a scene hog, but in my model there will clearly be a scene hog. I’m not clear on why your players can be trusted, but mine cannot. Nor do I believe your approach is any less, or any more, conducive to allowing a problem player (or GM) to create problems in the game.

This is a significant observation, to me. The “joint backstory” can be designed pre-play, or played through. Either way, I detest when the PC’s never grow or change based on actual (or subsequent) campaign events. “We were war buddies” may explain why we choose to work together now, but current events may erode, or reinforce, that pre-existing bond.

I think this is also important. There is an onus on the player to create a character who (for all his flaws or foibles) would actually want to be part of the group, and the group would actually want present in the group. If I make a character whose desire is to lead a peaceful life as a blacksmith (live example – 3rd ed Fighter who maxed Blacksmith, Weaponsmith and Armorsmith), then I also need to build in some personality that motivates him into the group (altruist, travelling bug, protective of innocent people) at least long enough for him to form bonds with his teammates so he’s no longer “forced into an adventure”, but rather “helping and defending his friends”.

PRECISELY

Okay, I get that you don't like his scene-hog exaggeration. I'm just asking about the backstory stuff, though. As always, play what you like

To be clear, I don’t find the collaborative approach more likely to facilitate scene hogging or other selfish gamer behaviour. I just don’t find it any less likely either.

N'raac

First Post

Really. How high up was Leia? She never seems to make command decisions, nor do many people, if any, seem to report to her. Who reported to Lando? How did he become a “General”, anyway? And I don’t recall anyone in the Rebellion (outside the PC’s) having any real awareness Luke was a Jedi, much less placing any significant value on that fact.

That's the veneer that's put in place to give it plausibility.

You mean like a giant centipede to speed across the desert? I thought all we needed to skip the boring stuff was a thin veneer of quasi-plausibility!

Doesn't hold any real water on deeper examination, but, hey, it's Star Wars, it's not meant to hold a whole lot of water. It's about as deep as the average rain puddle. In a serious game where there are consequences to actions, spending significant time trying to rescue Han means that the Empire has that much more time to build the new Death Star. If Luke dies, the Empire wins.

Where did we see any indication the rebellion was aware the second DS was under construction, much less that there was anything the main characters were asked to, or even could, do about it? Or even that they knew? And, again, it doesn’t seem like anyone in the Rebellion placed the same stock in Luke’s importance that you do. “If Luke dies, the Empire wins”? How do you figure that? The Empire didn’t seem out to kill him, and the rebellion seemed pretty unimpressed (he’s the only human male character NOT promoted to General!)

But, hey, important though the war against the Empire is, I value my friend’s life and safety more. Placing value on other human beings, not just seeing them as pawns to be sacrificed for our own goals – that’s what makes us BETTER than them!

By the way, often, doing things that are “in character” means doing things that do not make logical sense. Characters (or at least GOOD characters) are not playing pieces that always choose the best tactical option. They have personalities that sometimes drive them towards sub-optimal decisions.

I don’t think anyone disagrees that characters need to fit with the group. I think we disagree as to the optimal means of getting there, and how rigid that process needs to be. And your experience does not match my own.

But, what if I don't? What if I actually don't care about the other PC? Do I still have to go along with his highjacked storyline? Why does Bob get to dictate what the group will do, and I have to sit through it?

Why do you get to dictate what the group will or will not do? I don’t believe anyone dictates what the group will do, at least not in a functional group.

Again, though, explain to me why and how:

1. Bob having the ability to put elements in his backstory without your consent will result in him highjacking the game by inserting elements no one else wants; but

1. Bob having veto power over everyone else’s choices related to the game will not result in him hijacking the game by vetoing everything except those elements Bob wants to see?

That is, why is it that no one under one model can be trusted, but everyone under the other model can be?

Here we again differ. In your game, perhaps, Bob has absolute creative control over the game, or at least his plot element, so his secret cannot come out. In my game, the results will flow from play. We have captured some members of this cult and question them, through mundane or magical means? We will learn what they know. That should include knowledge that BobPC was the target. It may include reasons BobPC was the target. Or it may point the direction to people who know why BobPC was the target.

No unilateral creative control. No unilateral vetoes. We set the stage, and we play the game, and we see what comes of it.

Bob has placed his trust in the GM to make an exciting, interesting and challenging game, even if that means his character is killed. Why would he not trust the GM to make an exciting, interesting and challenging game, even if that means his character’s secret is revealed? I don’t think that secret went into Bob’s background with the expectation there was no way it would ever come out.

Bob doesn’t get to unilaterally veto his secret coming out any more than you unilaterally got to veto the cultists acting against the team.

I would be looking at what my character would reasonably do within the game parameters. I signed up to play a game. Not an AP. Not a specific module. There were probably some parameters on the game, which presumably did not rule out interaction with this evil cult. It’s not a bait and switch – we were promised a game where player backstories would interact with the game. That is what is happening. We were not promised a game where all in-game events would be decided by collaboration in advance.

N'raac

First Post
Lol, okay. Love and care and developing friendships / romance? No, implausible! It never, ever happens in real life or fiction. Must be "PC halo"!

I am reminded of [MENTION=22779]Hussar[/MENTION]’s preference for flash fiction and a very episodic game structure. In fairness, neither lend themselves to character development and growth, do they? An episodic structure could easily be one where we know everything will pretty much return to the status quo by episode’s end (Classic Star Trek; most of ST: TNG) rather than one where events build on one another and characters grow (Babylon 5, for example).

Again, your idea of "makes sense" is alien to me. But that's because I don't see people risking everything for people they've come to know and care about as "out of character" for real life or fiction. To me, that's part of the "hero" archetype that pops up quite often. And I'm okay with it.

Heroes often risk their lives for people they don’t even know. Half a dozen guys with symbols of some evil deity are attacking some poor guy on the street? Good enough reason for many of my characters to get involved. “When six people gang up on one helpless victim, I’m MAKING it my business!”

My point, of course, is that people can definitely have a reason to be together after play begins. I made that since you kept asking "why would they care?"

I would add that they care because they have grown beyond their initial backstory and personality sketch. I hope they will continue to grow!

Then you didn't adhere to my Rule 1 and Rule 3 of character creation, and thus you might be causing the group issues.

If this is the case, he's violating Rule 2: The PC should be fun for the player and the party. Thus, he might be causing group issues.

Good rules I think we share in some semblance. I would add that there is nothing wrong with a player making some changes in play, especially early play, to be a better fit, or with choosing to switch out a character who looks like he will be incompatible to play him with a more appropriate group at a later date.

Play style difference so far: I wouldn't hold back the secret if it'd naturally come out. (But, if Bob explicitly told me privately during character creation that he wants a secret for a while, I'd work something out with him that fit the campaign that'd be hard to pry up.)

Well, to be fair, the cult involvement in a GM decision, not a Bob decision. It's also hard to imagine very many "they've exhausted their avenues of investigation" scenarios. There are many ways they can go about finding stuff out, including hiring other people to help them when their skills fail. But, sure, they might run out; I just feel that's pushing it further and further into a corner case, though.

Again, we are on the same page in pretty much all respects. There’s nothing wrong with chatting with Bob to get a sense of how he envisions this playing out, and assessing whether that’s likely to be a good fit.

In AP play, you have more grounds for this than you'd ever get in my games (all homebrew). Again, I get where you're coming from, even if I disagree with the wording. Not sure what this has to do with what I asked about, though (backstories and party cohesion). As always, play what you like

I find most AP’s now give some suggestions for linking your character to the AP. They don’t tell you all the details (for example, that you may spend some time at about 7 – 8 level wandering a wasteland, so be prepared for some exploratory wandering).

Celebrim

Legend
Per the Han debate, it's pretty easy to put color on that.

a) Han was awarded very publicly the nacent Republic's highest medal for valor for this role in the destruction of the first death star - the Rebellion greatest military triumph. The rebellion has a rather large propaganda stake in Han's safety - propaganda which incidently may be why Han is dealing with bounty hunters rather than the Republic convienently saying Han died in the battle and him getting a new identity. If Han has been captured, it's a blow to morale within the Rebel's military structure specificly, but Galactic wide.
b) It's pretty typical of democratic military organizations that they have a 'no man left behind' policy at least in theory. It's good for recruiting. And as a rebellion, they can't really conscript anyone. They need to be able to say that they take care of their own.
c) As one of the leaders of the Rebellion, Leah can authorize the mission on her own - foolhardy or not. It's happened before in the real world. During WWII, Patton authorized a mission - Task Force Baum - very likely for the sole reason to rescue a relative, even though it was militarily unnecessary and cost three dozen lives.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads