• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

You're the Independence Day aliens. What cities do you blow up?

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
cjyoung1 said:
I would think that Detroit would be high on any list of cities to destroy. It has one of the largest manufacturing bases in the world. Remember World War II and the arsenal of democracy? That was refering to Detroit.
Even with the current decline in the automotive industry the plants can be switched over for military use very quickly (even the mothballed ones). Something that the aliens would not want us to be able to do.

Isn't most of the manufacturing dispersed a bit outside of Detriot now?

Last time I was in Detroit, significant portions of the city looked like the aliens had already attacked. I know they have been trying to get revitalization going, maybe it has taken hold since I was last there?

cjyoung1

Explorer
Detroit

True, most of Detroit looks as if it has all ready been attacked by aliens. (Lived there for 7 years - half of those south of 8 mile :) - Detroit native joke ) But there are still 3 major plants 1 Ford, the Chrysler's JNAP and the GM Cadillic plant within the city limits. Surrounding Detroit there are even more. Dearborn has the Rouge plant (2nd largest manufacturing plant in the world), Sterling Heights has 2 Chrysler Plants and a Ford plant. Plus numerous smaller tool and die shops, plus a couple of tier 1 suppliers - Textron, Manga, Plastech, Inergy and Vitec.
I was a quality engineer while living in town and visited most of these sites.

All of these plants are within 20 miles of the Joe though and if you were to hit the city with a large enough weapon... POOF all gone.

Ambrus

Explorer
Jdvn1 said:
Plus, it depends on why the aliens want the earth. In Independence Day, they just wanted earth's resources. I wouldn't care if there were humans left, really, as long as I could build whatever I wanted and take whatever resources I wanted. Let the humans scatter. Clearing out whatever land I want when I get there isn't going to be difficult.
I don't recall there being any mention of what the aliens intended to do with the earth once they have it whether for real-estate or ressources. In fact I don't remember there being much of a plot at all. :p

Like you said, if they were after ressources alone they wouldn't need bother with earth at all. Since they've got nothing but their big ships and all the ressources in the galaxy for free it seems more likely that they're looking for a place to park their rides and form a big alien trailer-park of sorts.

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Ambrus said:
I don't recall there being any mention of what the aliens intended to do with the earth once they have it whether for real-estate or ressources. In fact I don't remember there being much of a plot at all. :p
There was in the movie! :uhoh: ;)
Ambrus said:
Like you said, if they were after ressources alone they wouldn't need bother with earth at all. Since they've got nothing but their big ships and all the ressources in the galaxy for free it seems more likely that they're looking for a place to park their rides and form a big alien trailer-park of sorts.
Everyone has to refuel--it's part of the law of conservation of energy. :p

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Frukathka said:
I'd argue that Phoenix, AZ has Alpha potential.

Go on then - although I think that'll be a tough one to justify. The study above certainly didn't rate it as a world class city, or even close to one.

drothgery

First Post
Ambrus said:
Except for solid ground to stand on with a large functioning biosphere already in place.

When you can build city-sized ships that you can live on for decades, you really don't need that; you've got your ships.

EricNoah

Adventurer
In Independence Day, something like a dozen space ships hover over major cities and blow 'em all up at once. If you were fairly well-versed in the Earth, what cities would you blow up, and in what order.

None. As an alien, I would be kind and gentle and oh so cuddly. Not at all the type of alien who would pulverize their opponent into a bloody mass of flesh and raw bone, spitting teeth and fragments of gum onto a world which has become mankind's hell and my glory.

Ambrus

Explorer
drothgery said:
When you can build city-sized ships that you can live on for decades, you really don't need that; you've got your ships.
City-sized ships are fine, but expensive to build. A planet is cheap real-estate a few orders of magnitude larger than a dozen itty bitty ships.

Remove ads