• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

You've Got Spycraft in my D&D

Morpheus

Exploring Ptolus
We just started a new Eberron campaign with the Pathfinder playtest rules and I thought it would be a great time to also introduce some of the Spycraft mechanics that I think work particularily well (we had just finished playing a two-session Spycraft playtest). Here is what I'm using:

1) Action dice that are per session instead of per level. They also 'explode' (comtiue rolling if a PC rolls the highest value). I also award action dice during the session if someone does something 'cool' (such as jumping on a web suspended between two towers in Sharn to get at the Daask gnolls who are attacking the sky coach driver);
2) Critical successes for skills as well as in combat;
3) Activating criticals with action dice;
4) Using weapon qualities (i.e. masterwork is better than normal so it takes twice as many action dice to activate a critical fumble);
5) Extended skill checks (where the PC has to roll a set number of successes to complete the task-i.e. searching a library for a particular book); and
6) The Chase dramatic conflict rules (haven't needed them yet).

Anyone else have any similar Spycraft rules they are using in their D&D?

Last edited:

Aus_Snow

First Post
I haven't tried using any Spycraft in D&D, nope. Not a terrible idea though.

Have you heard of the Fantasy Craft product that is apparently on its way? Might make the job a whole lot easier, unless of course you would simply prefer to do things your own way. Which is cool.

Weird that I never did so, now I think about it. I took bits of so many games, just not that one. Not for fantasy. Hm. Heh, the Critical Hit Deck and Critical Fumble Deck could be quite fun with action dice. :D Just a thought.

I'd be interested to hear how well any of those things work in a fantasy setting.

edit --- Mind you, coincidentally, I have had critical success and failure for skills too. Pretty much any d20 roll, actually.

Last edited:

Psion

Adventurer
I haven't, but I will say this:

After a long bout of playing Spycraft last year, and then shifting gears to Adamant's D20 Modern based Mars, I missed Spycraft's minion rules rather badly.

Serensius

Explorer
Morpheus said:
6) The Chase dramatic conflict rules (haven't needed them yet).

Haven't really heard of Spycraft before. Mind explaining how these rules work? (Sorry for hijack, but that made me curious)

Psion

Adventurer
Serensius said:
Haven't really heard of Spycraft before. Mind explaining how these rules work? (Sorry for hijack, but that made me curious)

Well, Spycraft 1e had its own set of chase rules, for 2e, the system got generalized and applied to a bunch of different "dramatic conflicts" (interrogation, seduction, manhunts, hacking, etc.)

The basis of the system is the idea that there is a "predator" and a "prey", and a lead that describes the ebb and flow of the conflict. The lead is rated from 0 to 10. At lead 0, the predator reaches their goal (in a chase they immobilize the enemy's vehicle; in a interrogation the victim breaks, etc.) and at lead 10, the prey wins (car gets away, system locks out intruder, etc.) The conflict is sorted into rounds. Each round, the predator and prey pick a strategy with different modifiers and potential results. The results can adjust the lead or result in different benefits (gaining a clue, changing the scope of the conflict, forcing a crash, etc.) Each round is handled by opposed skill checks and modifiers apply from the strategy or other elements of the conflict (e.g., in a chase, the faster vehicle gets a bonus, but the bonus is less in tighter terrain).

Serensius

Explorer
Psion said:
Well, Spycraft 1e had its own set of chase rules, for 2e, the system got generalized and applied to a bunch of different "dramatic conflicts" (interrogation, seduction, manhunts, hacking, etc.)

The basis of the system is the idea that there is a "predator" and a "prey", and a lead that describes the ebb and flow of the conflict. The lead is rated from 0 to 10. At lead 0, the predator reaches their goal (in a chase they immobilize the enemy's vehicle; in a interrogation the victim breaks, etc.) and at lead 10, the prey wins (car gets away, system locks out intruder, etc.) The conflict is sorted into rounds. Each round, the predator and prey pick a strategy with different modifiers and potential results. The results can adjust the lead or result in different benefits (gaining a clue, changing the scope of the conflict, forcing a crash, etc.) Each round is handled by opposed skill checks and modifiers apply from the strategy or other elements of the conflict (e.g., in a chase, the faster vehicle gets a bonus, but the bonus is less in tighter terrain).

Allright, very interesting. Thanks! I'll sod off now

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Given that my D&D group is curently playing a "Timemaster" module with their D&D characters I wouldn't find fault in blending any other system.

Morpheus

Exploring Ptolus
Spycraft (and the soon to be released Fantasycraft I'm sure) is not only an enjoyable game, but the prep work for the GC (Game Control) is
not a lot-expecially compared to 3.5e...Anybody who hasn't tried Spycraft should give it a looksee...

Remove ads