• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Yttermayn's "Saga of the Dragon Cult" OOC 2

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
magic carpet ride? sounds fun!

but you must take me to a beautiful palace full of beautiful wardrobes full of beautiful clothes!

PS: actually never heard of Steppenwolf before. it's a 60s track.

I am just showing the age of Leif and I here

Leif

Adventurer
Steppenwolf

but you must take me to a beautiful palace full of beautiful wardrobes full of beautiful clothes!

I am just showing the age of Leif and I here

Yes it was a 60's song, and used in the movie "Easy Rider." I, however, unlike DeWar, was only 2 years old when the 60's ended. The song remained popular in the 70's however, and I still hear it on my classic rock radio station occasionally. Scotley and I went to see John Kay & Steppenwolf in concert in the mid-1980's at the Orpheum in Memphis. That's a scary part of Memphis after dark. (*shhhiver!*)

Scotley

Hero

Steppenwolf's peak of popularity was 1968 to 1972, but they have continued to perform and tour even now. Johy Kay is lead singer and founding member and is still leading the band, though I think most if not all the other members are new. As Leif said we saw them perform in the Mid-1980's, but they are still at it. A glance at their website shows that they are going to be in France this summer in fact. The song you have most likely heard is 'Born to be Wild'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UWRypqz5-o

Scott DeWar

My brother and I were goofing off in '85, I think, and struck a pose - donned my glasses - and sang the words 'born to be mild'.

Scott DeWar

I just learned something too. It is about scrolls and wizards . . . . .

normally a spellcraft decipher script is needed to read the scroll and scribe it into a spell book. I knew this already.

but if a wizard uses a scroll he or she did not write themselves, they have to do a decipher script spellcraft check to read it and just plain use it,

such as casting a lightning bolt from a scroll during combat is not a very good idea unless the decipher has already been done.

furthermore,

when scribing scrolls the cost is a bit of a surprise
for a base line of knowledge, let me mention pathfinder for a base line. cost per scroll is the same in both:
lev/cost
1/20
2/150
3/375

however the scriubing materials cost is what got my attention

lev/cost
1/10
2/40
3/90

and here is the big surprise:
lev/cost
1/100
2/200
3/300

Last edited:

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
I like the idea for roleplaying purposes more than for mechanical purposes. So in this case, you would take some new spells you wanted to learn and have to buy the scrolls from a teacher, then pay a teacher to help you understand it, or pay for the tools to help you understand the magical formulae involved. This probably also requires a place to study, contacts among the local population to meet and have to deal with, time allocated to do the work and so on.

Other PCs would also have similar benefits, where they take time between adventures to meet with their masters in their profession or deal with supporting characters for an increase in skills, feats, and other benefits.

If we were meeting physically, or gaming through online programs in real-time, this would work great since we could do some player-to-GM world building and discussions that flesh out the PC and backdrop. It could even result in small mini-adventures while the other players were indisposed. However, I think it just slows down PbP gaming, and momentum is a key factor in being able to finish a PbP campaign or module.

Scott DeWar

I agree, I was just looking into making a character for an Ebberron game and I ran into that information no less then 30 minutes before my post is all.

Leif

Adventurer
If we were meeting physically, or gaming through online programs in real-time, this would work great since we could do some player-to-GM world building and discussions that flesh out the PC and backdrop. However, I think it just slows down PbP gaming, and momentum is a key factor in being able to finish a PbP campaign or module.
Agreed.

Remove ads