• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Yuan-Ti should be a PC race in 4e.

Sitara

Explorer
Serpant-men are very popular in swordand sorcery; now while dnd has always been high fantasy, with the whole PoL thing they seem to be trying to add in SnS elements. Add into the fact they want their races to have background flavor (thus Tiefling instead of devil-men, dragonborn inswtead of dragon-men)

I think they should add in the Yuan-Ti as a playable race at some point, if not in the first phb.

Racial abilities could include shapeshifting into a human form and a serpant-man for, poison spit attack, acid blood, mesmerising gaze, etc.

Thoughts? (I'm serious, this is not a humor thread. I think they would add a lot to the game, and fill an important archtype.)

Jack99

Adventurer
Sitara said:
Thoughts? (I'm serious, this is not a humor thread. I think they would add a lot to the game, and fill an important archtype.)

I doubt I would ever use them. While I have no issues with Tieflings and Dragonborn, Yuan-ti is just not something I can picture in my campaigns. I don't see my players choosing one to play either, tbh.

I don't think they will be in anything but a MM either. Playable race, yes, but not splatbook and definitely not PHB.

Cheers

Sitara

Explorer
Hmm, do you tihnk they could be playable using just the MM stats? Honestly I don't think so, because as we know MM monsters are built ot be encounter fodder only.

Ofcourse we can always make stuff up ourselves, but thats not the point. :) (though I will do that if need be)

MaelStorm

First Post
Jack99 said:
I doubt I would ever use them. While I have no issues with Tieflings and Dragonborn, Yuan-ti is just not something I can picture in my campaigns. I don't see my players choosing one to play either, tbh.

I don't think they will be in anything but a MM either. Playable race, yes, but not splatbook and definitely not PHB.

Cheers

I think that this would be a perfect race to be introduced with the PHB2 which should introduce the shadow power source and the necromancer class and a shadow striker which I envision would be a perfect match for the Yuan-Ti.

But if they choose to put it in the PHB1, it would also be a nice choice for warlock, rogue and fighter classes.

As Sitara mention:
The flavor/trends of the moment seems to be definitely pointing for a lizard-men type substitute.

Since at has not been mentioned in the Races and Classes book maybe we will only see it as a monster the first year, but there will be players who will crave for it I am sure, and the DM would have to think about how to adapt it. It is just a question of time before we will see it as an official race.

Sitara said:
Hmm, do you tihnk they could be playable using just the MM stats? Honestly I don't think so, because as we know MM monsters are built ot be encounter fodder only.

Ofcourse we can always make stuff up ourselves, but thats not the point. :) (though I will do that if need be)
Well, the Gnome will be in the MM, and he will be statted up as a player race there, too. So there is a chance that there is a PC write-up for the Yuan-Ti in the MM, too.

Sitara

Explorer
Mustrum_Ridcully said:
Well, the Gnome will be in the MM, and he will be statted up as a player race there, too. So there is a chance that there is a PC write-up for the Yuan-Ti in the MM, too.

Correct, but see the situation with the Gnome is different (being as there are gnome 3e players who want to carry over their character).

But hey, its nice to see I'm not the only one who would like to see and/or play a serpant-man type pc. It could make for some fantastic roleplaying, what with racial prejudice against the scaly kind. :cool:

Sitara

Explorer
And Wood Elves aren't too similar to Eladrin?? Or human's too similar to tieflings? Or dwarves too similar to halflings?

Dragonborn = Bright shiny aweinspiring warlord/fighter types.
Yuan-Ti= insidiou, shadowy, sneaky,revolting slithery assassin/rogue/cultist types.

AndI can totally see some type of scaly-god/set type warlock pacts for yuan-ti.

Khairn

First Post
Of the standard "monster" races that I would actually be interested in playing as a PC, Yuan-Ti is at the top of the list. Followed by Gnolls and Bugbears.

I don't see them as PHB material until year 3 or 4, but I could easily see them being offered in the DDI.

Jack99

Adventurer
Sitara said:
Correct, but see the situation with the Gnome is different (being as there are gnome 3e players who want to carry over their character).

But hey, its nice to see I'm not the only one who would like to see and/or play a serpant-man type pc. It could make for some fantastic roleplaying, what with racial prejudice against the scaly kind. :cool:

As I understand it, they have stated that one of things they are changing in 4e, is the whole LA deal, which should make it easier to use monsters (from MM) as races for your players, without having to go through a splat-book.

Also, I think Doug McCrae is correct in saying that Yuan-ti is too similar to the dragonborn.

Remove ads