Yugoloth Lore

Razz

Banned
Banned
Shemeska said:
Dragon 351 might have another fiend for this thread, but I don't know what survived edits yet. Once someone has the issue however it'll be worth adding, though it's a bit of a unique case.

Another fiend eh? I wish that issue would hurry up and arrive here already.

I really do hope they do an FC3. We have only to hope it shows up somewhere in the 3rd trimester of 2007.

Failing that, either it shows up on 1st trimester of 2008 or we need a petition for it.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Shemeska said:
Dragon 351 might have another fiend for this thread, but I don't know what survived edits yet. Once someone has the issue however it'll be worth adding, though it's a bit of a unique case.

cool - 350 just came out, right, or is 351 coming out this month?

BOZ said:
while looking at my Blood Wards CCG cards, i noticed a couple of fellows:
Vadarthar the Ultroloth
Darktome the Arcanaloth

hey hey, now that i got my wife's scanner up and running, i need to flip through those cards again and see what else there was...

Shemeska

Adventurer
As promised, another 'loth (though fallen far from the tree, so to speak):

Felthis ap Jerran, risen ultroloth and Philosopher King of the gatetown of Ecstasy (he replaced the aged mortal wizard Kagorius, the previous holder of that position) Dragon #351

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
good deal! :)

did we have somewhere a list of all the yugo lords (altraloth or otherwise) and what books they can be found in?

AFGNCAAP

First Post
Nothing more on the General of Gehenna? Out of all of the `loths, he's the one who's interested me most as a potential BBEG for a long-term campaign.

Also, just out of curiosity: why did WotC stick with the Yugoloth name/term (instead of daemon), even though they revered/readopted the devil/demon terminology for baatezu/tanarri? And what's the link (if any) between demodands & yugoloths?

Shade

Monster Junkie
AFGNCAAP said:
Nothing more on the General of Gehenna? Out of all of the `loths, he's the one who's interested me most as a potential BBEG for a long-term campaign.

I think he's been left mysterious intentionally.

AFGNCAAP said:
Also, just out of curiosity: why did WotC stick with the Yugoloth name/term (instead of daemon), even though they revered/readopted the devil/demon terminology for baatezu/tanarri? And what's the link (if any) between demodands & yugoloths?

Probably because "daemon" sounds too much like "demon". I personally prefer yugoloth by leaps and bounds (and I'm an "old schooler"). Another reason is that both demons and devils had more than one subgroup, whereas daemons/yugoloths were never differentiated in a similar manner.

As for the demodands, I'll let Shemeska or Ripzerai field that one, as they'll probably give you a far better explanation than I could. :)

Shemeska

Adventurer
AFGNCAAP said:

There's very little hard information, and he/she/it has been left intentionally mysterious. The General was the first yugoloth to achieve ultroloth status, he was responsible for the purging of law and chaos from the early yugoloths (which seems either by intent or side effect to have created the Obyriths and Ancient Baatorians), and he's ultimately the major controlling influence over yugoloth involvement in the Blood War.

See 2e 'Faces of Evil: The Fiends', 'Hellbound: The Blood War', and the 3e 'Manual of the Planes'

[Dark Helmet]Yugoloth will always win, because daemon is dumb.[/Dark Helmet] Too much similarity to demon, and they'd built up most of the lore on them since calling them 'loths, so why change back? WotC never dropped Tanar'ri and Baatezu either, they just added back demon and devil as generic names (though this had already been done in late 2e for demons). Since the 'loths don't have subtypes beyond themselves*, there was no need to bring back daemon as a generic term.

* back to that no subtypes of 'loth thing... the yugoloths and demodands (gehreleths) share a common origin, but the exact story depends on if you ask the 'loths or the 'leths. Originally the first NE fiends, the Baernaloths decided to create themselves a servitor race of fiends, and eventually they created the yugoloths. One of the Baernaloths (or three of them) went off on their own and created the Demodands (either afterwards, in imitation of the 'loths, or before, while the other Baern were still debating what to create).

This renegade Baernaloth, known as Apomps the Triple Aspected, however had created his children tainted with chaos, and this disgusted his brethren, and on threat of oblivion either they expelled him, he fled their wrath, or willingly went into exile (likely forming the plane of Carceri as a side effect of his flight). The 'loths and 'leths mutually despise one another to a degree of zealotry that makes the Tanar'ri and Baatezu look like intimate and long time friends; they'll kill one another on sight such is the lingering enmity they've gained from the split between their makers.

Shemeska

Adventurer
BOZ said:
good deal! :)

did we have somewhere a list of all the yugo lords (altraloth or otherwise) and what books they can be found in?

I'm sure we did, but here's this off the top of my head. Likely isn't comprehensive, because I'm at work (oddly enough typing about 'loths just after having worked with live virus samples...).

shemmychem.gif

The General of Gehenna - 2e Faces of Evil, 2e Planes of Conflict, 2e Hellbound: The Blood War, 3e MotP
Mydianchlarus - 2e Planes of Conflict, 2e Faces of Evil, 3e MotP

Altraloths
Anthraxus - 1e MM2, 2e Faces of Evil, 2e Planes of Conflict, 2e 'Pox of the Planes' Dragon Annual #1
Bubonix - 1e MM2 (name only), 2e 'Pox of the Planes' Dragon Annual #1
Typhus - 1e MM2 (name only), 2e 'Pox of the Planes' Dragon Annual #1
Taba - 2e 'Pox of the Planes' Dragon Annual #1
Cholerix - 1e MM2 (name only), 2e 'Pox of the Planes' Dragon Annual #1
Charon/Cerlic - 1e MM2, 2e 'Pox of the Planes' Dragon Annual #1
Xenghara - 2e 'Pox of the Planes' Dragon Annual #1
Diptheris - 1e MM2 (name only, never seen again)

Baernaloths
Daru Ib Shamiq - 2e 'Hellbound: The Blood War'
Unnamed members of The Demented - 2e 'Planes of Conflict'

Others
Larsdana Ap Neut - 2e Planes of Conflict (or Faces of Evil, don't have the book handy to check)
Helekanalaith, Keeper of the Tower Arcane - 2e Planes of Conflict

Note: I'm not including the FR pastiche 'loth lords like Inthracis (aka Anthraxus). I'm also not including named ultroloths.

Last edited:

Razz

Banned
Banned
I wonder if a CR 13 Ultroloth was WotC's intention all along as they plan to possibly make Altraloths a generic yugoloth type (instead of making them unique 'loths) at CR 16 or 17 and generic Baernoloths at CR 20+ (as Planes of Conflict did when they made the generic baernoloth in the monster booklet hat came with the boxed set)? The Oinoloth could be the only unique one, which I hope is in the CR 30+...but they'll probably pop him at CR 27, like Asmodeus in FCI for the sake of the "little people" (and I do mean you silly non-epic people who can't see beyond level 20) :p

So much speculation...I wish WotC would confirm SOMETHING on the future of the 'loths in 3E!

Remove ads