Zad/Wizardru's Story Hour (*final update 11/12*)

WizarDru

Adventurer
Argent Silvermage said:
My innocence died. :(
But the opponents were amazing! Heroes of Battle must be a really kick a$$ book. :cool:

It really isn't, but it has a few gems in it. The Military prestige classes are great team players, and they took you on using their strengths. What happens next....well, that remains to be seen. I'll refrain from further discussion until after the story chapter is posted.

Argent Silvermage

First Post
We Play again tonight.
For those hoping for a story hour from last week it's coming. Zad is waiting for more material as last week was mainly fighting.
Although when the story hour is up Glyf will have a real mad on for... well that would be telling. :cool:

Zad

First Post
Nah. At least no more than usual. Just the "writer's ennui" that has recently been surfacing and was previously mentioned.

Zad

First Post
My experience has been somewhat to the contrary.

Blow-by-blow descriptions of combat tend to get bogged down in a lot of details. They can also suffer from timing issues since from a game-perspective, everyone moves in rotation but that usually makes for really hard reading since the reader can have a hard time following what's going on as the "camera" hops around so much. I remember reading some of Turtledove's work on the lizard invasion where the focus character shifted every few pages and I found it a tiring read in the same way, and enjoyed some of the later books in that series more where he cut the number of "main" characters and stayed on each for longer periods.

My experience is also that swing-swing-swing-swing doesn't make for much of an interesting story. At one point in the prior story hour, I was doing exactly that. Eventually I realized that it was a story hour - emphasis on the word story and it should read like a story, rather than a court-reporter record of the night's D&D game.

As a result over the years, I've drifted away from highly detailed combat descriptions. In part due to reading the works of authors I find far better - Destan for instance - and in part from just learning to write better (to me). Stories revolve around dramatic tension, and character development. While combat is useful for both, there are lots of other things that are as well, and the mechanics of combat usually just serve to diminish rather than heighten the drama. Not to mention my notes are usually not good enough for that much detail ;)

All that said, I'm sure it can be done, and I'm sure it can be done well. But I have found it to be not-so-great for my personal style of writing. My twin goals for the story hour have always been a) to tell an entertaining story and b) to serve as a substantively accurate account of the game which we can refer to later for reference (something both players and DM have needed to do). I'm usually able to serve both goals at the same time. There are times I favor the good story a little higher and lie take some artistic discretion with the events but it's usually something that while adding flavor to the story was not a "substantive" alteration. But again, it's my feeling that BBB descriptions rarely serve those goals, at least for me.

ThoughtBubble

First Post
One of the things I've really enjoyed about this Story Hour has been in the character's reaction to the module. It's a very understated sort of tongue in cheek humor, not about your game, but about D&D. You can feel the points where the party stops for a beat. They look at each other, then the camera, then each other, then shrug and continue again. It's those points where something is totally off, and they KNOW it, but then decide to downplay it for the sake of the show/story/module. For example, the part with the obviously evil guy taking the party to Occipitus. Or the point when "It's obviously an illusionary dragon." But it's exemplified in the re-telling by the familiars. The story has this amazing sense of self-awareness and wry humor at itself.

Anyway, thank you for the fun that you've given us. Good future gaming, and I hope Wizardru manages to keep the weirdness at acceptable levels.

Zad

First Post
Thank you for the kind words. Writing is a continual evolution and experiment, and I try to make it interesting and strike certain balances and yet continue to evolve.

As for the... oddities, I think you'll see less of them. Wizardru has has about enough of the patent silliness with this last one, and is going to start using the modules more as a guideline and is going to do more substantial alterations to make it dovetail into his world better as well as tweak it to fit the various character backstories.

As you said, in the end we all want to have fun and if the sign says "Dungeon -> this way" we may balk a bit but eventually we'll suspend disbelief and move along. But if it's candy-coated better, then it's an easier pill to swallow for everyone.

Remove ads