Zad/Wizardru's Story Hour (*final update 11/12*)

Zad

First Post
The Secrets of Stone - Chapter 1

The Secrets of Stone – Chapter 1

OOC Notes:
Exp is 1500 this week for everyone.

This Week’s Adventure:
There was a tension in the air of Cauldron that was more palpable. The discontent over taxes had crossed the threshold between words and action, and people were leaving the city in droves due to the taxes. The disappearance of the mayor was common talk at the Morkoth that night and everyone and his brother had a theory as to the forces behind it.

For my part I just wasn’t that interested. The Lord Mayor was a drunken sot, and I was hardly concerned for his safety, despite being more concerned about what it meant for the hidden forces that had been manipulating events in the city. But despite not being at the forefront of discussion lately (the tale of the Siege of Redgorge had not yet made it to Cauldron) we did still retain some degree of popularity. According to the innkeeper, there were several parties that were interested in meeting with us, including one quiet stranger in the corner. Beyond him, there was a furtive glance from Tyro Amberhelm wanting to talk, and someone had inquired after Bellsin. None of us were in much mood for it tonight and enjoyed dinner and a bath before going to bed, leaving the interactions for the morning.

The next day consisted of endless amounts of traipsing around the city. In some cases it was to sell the proceeds of the trip, in others to meet up with those who had wanted to speak to us.

Tyro informed us there was a cleric of Farlanghan who wished to speak to us regarding a debt, and he was waiting at Shensen’s grove. So during the course of business we went to the grove and found him. He was an unkempt man lazing about smoking a pipe and every bit what you would expect from a cleric of Farlanghan. His name was Festol Ormond and the debt was one he felt the church – such as it was – owed us.

The Lucky Monkey was a safe haven operated by the worshippers of Farlanghan and they were grateful to us for saving the inn and shrine. They wanted to re-establish operations there, but lacked the financial resources to do so. Put simply, they were offering us the opportunity to fund the reconstruction and in so doing receive a large share of the profits from its operation. It could also serve as a permanent home for the group should we wish to fund construction of quarters there. Elizabeth, her business sense keenly honed by several months in the city, was immediately interested and the group soon agreed to fund the inn’s rebirth.

Bellsin had a more private visit from a man named Artus Shemwick. Shemwick was a man with many contacts on the street. Apparently he had an association with the Last Laugh but that was no longer in play. He had information to offer Bellsin and also offered his on-going services. The information related to someone who was in town four days ago – an Ekbiri – who was looking for Bellsin of the Thousand Tales. He seemed like a merchant who gave the name of Nahazir. He was going to do business until he saw the prices and went off to the neighboring towns.

Bellsin paid the man well, and secured his services as an ear on the street for the future.

The city watch apparently had also been looking for us – we learned it was to question us regarding a recent murder.

We also made time to stop by the Church of St. Cuthbert to check on Jenya and Alek. The Church had a notice saying there would be no services until later that day, but we entered regardless and were warmly greeted by Rufus. He informed us Sir Alek had chosen to return, and Jenya was exhausted from the effort and was resting. Alek was at the front of the church meditating and we approached him. We waited quietly until he paused in his rituals.

“Sir Alek – are you well?” Elizabeth asked as he turned.

“I am… better than I was, much thanks to you. I have much to pay for my hubris. I have sworn not to raise sword or shield until I have repaired the damage I have done. I have strayed too far from this temple for too long. In time I make take those things up again, but the words that have reached my ears in the last few hours have disturbed me. Jenya needs a protector and it is past time I took up that mantle. You have done what I should have done, and I thank you for that. I was not going to come back, but Jenya begged that I do so, and for her sake I did. Truth be told, I was not enthused about the prospect of returning to life here, but she says that will change. I pray she is right.”

“I am diminished, and I was not ever a good servant of St. Cuthbert, but I shall strive to improve myself. Should you have need of my sword, simply ask and if Jenya gives her leave I shall aid you. You know me and I can be a faithful ally. I admit to being… unsophisticated in certain matters, but I am here if you have need. Understand now that I am guided by one thing above all others – Jenya’s safety. But I have traveled these lands extensively even as far as Hookface’s lair. I can guide you to places others cannot.”

“I wanted to say we’re sorry that we could not save you from Nabthateron’s anger,” Elizabeth offered.

Alek laughed a wry laugh. “You did all you could, and more in fact. You have nothing to apologize for – you have set an example I would do well to follow.”

We talked a bit more, then left Sir Alek to continue his atonement. On our way out, Rufus was enthusiastically signaling his approval.

During a trip to Skie’s, Astrid learned another interesting bit of news – Todd Vanderboren was dead. The Stormblades were ambushed in caverns beneath Cauldron. Indeed the Stormblades may not continue their adventuring as a result. The body bore no cut or bruise, but the Stormblades are not discussing the matter. Their mission failed and they show no interest in resuming it.

One of the more intriguing meetings was with Tygot. Elizabeth would have needed to go visit him to return the sliver plate and sell some of the art objects retrieved, but she was also hoping he could tell her something about the painting of Lady Celeste. She had no idea how much we would learn.

Tygot’s shop was even sparser than last visit with many of Tygot’s good apparently being shipped to other outlets. Elizabeth was not planning to sell the portrait but wanted to show it to Tygot to perhaps get an idea of when it was painted. Tygot, wasting no time, went far beyond that, asking her to retrieve a wand from a drawer.

“Not the left drawer dear – wouldn’t want the fire wand. That would have unfortunate results,” he laughed.

Tygot used the retrieved wand, and then began reciting the detailed history of the painting.

“Hm. Painted by a moderately talented halfling who was visiting the plane of Celestia and encountered a woman of untold beauty and wanted to capture her likeness so that he might remember her when he returned to the Prime. She was not human… she was a … lillend I believe they’re called. Sort of a celestial muse, which explains the harp – they’re creatures of song and verse. He brought the picture back, and then passed it to a relative who… oh my was killed in a caravan assault in the southern mountains. Stepped on by an ice giant – nasty that. It went back to a fortress in the mountains, and then was traded by the giants to an ice demon, then he traded it for… thirty five souls – how odd.”

Tygot looked disgusted at the distasteful practice but went on. “From there the portrait went to a place called Occipitus. It was used to bargain with a ghost of some kind, then it was ultimately left in a large cathedral for many years where you found it.”

“Fascinating,” Elizabeth said. “Far more than I hoped to learn, thank you so much!”

“One other thing – this is apparently not the only one. It was part of a set. There were at least two by the same artist of this subject.”

Tygot either did not recognize the Lady Celeste or chose not to mention it. Either way was fine.

So Lady Celeste is a lillend, I thought

But then she two is skirting this interdiction business, Elizabeth realized.

We concluded our business and moved on.

By now it was nearly time for dinner, so we returned to the Morkoth and changed into appropriate attire for the Cusp of Sunrise and some other appointments. Elizabeth found herself unwilling to leave Alakast behind lest something unpleasant happen to it. Him. Whatever. Fortunately it was not so notorious a weapon as to cause a stir when carried around, and it just seemed to be another fantastic weapon carried by the Blue Tygers. We were greeted with the usual (im)politeness at the Cusp of Sunrise and were seated.

Maris was quickly drawn away to the Lady Knowlern’s table. Apparently the Lady has taken an interest in Maris. But the rest of us had a pleasant enough meal and part way through the soup course we were joined by yet another party who had been seeking us.

He was tall, and wore a silver silk shirt open to the mid-chest, and a fabulous grey ermine cape. He was polite yet still had an air of superiority about him even as he bowed slightly. “I was hoping I might join you to discuss something. I am Sir Dorcus – I’m told you have heard I wished to speak with you.”

We nodded and he sat down, and immediately tore off a large hunk of bread and ate it with relish. “You would be Astrid of the Bearkiller Clan? A pleasure. Not that I know of any Bearkiller clans, despite having studied the northern clans quite a lot.”

Astrid did not respond to the simplistic goad and just waited quietly.

“Would you mind if I used a magic item?” he asked through gulping mouthfuls.

“For what purpose?” Glyph asked warily.

“Privacy,” he said simply, re-buttering the bread.

We nodded and he removed a necklace set with a brilliant blue stone. “Vitaesis…” I heard Glyph whisper under his breath. He wrapped the necklace around a candle in the center of the table.

“I do hope you don’t mind,” he said, “but I hate being… overheard. Of course my name is not Sir Dorcus any more than I’m human. Though I do love your society. Such wonderful foods.” To punctuate the point he helped himself to some of the appetizers. “In any case, call me Skorad.”

“If you’re not human, then what are ya?” Kris asked plainly.

“A dragon. Have you been contacted by someone from the Council yet?” he replied.

“The only dragon we’ve had contact with is a rather strange black dragon…” Elizabeth started.

“Dorlat – the pervert. If I didn’t know better I’d say Dorlat’s only function in life was to see what kind of half dragon he could produce with every race on the Flaness. Still it’s not my place to tell him how to behave. So that’s a ‘no’ then on being contacted by the Council?”

“What Council?” Astrid asked in a clearly leading manner.

“The Scaled Council. It’s a… well let me begin from the beginning. I am a mediator. When certain groups – such as yourselves – or armies, militias, what have you – reach a certain status, which is to say is known to have killed a dragon of a specific size and nature or is likely to be capable of such…”

“We haven’t killed any dragons,” Elizabeth said calmly.

“You misunderstand my dear,” he said patronizingly. “I’m not here to chastise you. I’m here to inform you that there are some rules which you may be unaware of. I suspect sooner or later you’ll run afoul of another dragon and there are things you need to know.”

He leaned back in his chair. “You may or may not be aware of two great Dragon wars in history. You likely do not know of the third. What evolved after that was a détente between the chromatic and metallic dragons. To maintain that peace, an oversight council was formed. This worked well until about ten years ago at which time negotiations broke down and large scale warfare ensued. Cities were razed, and thousands died. It was most unfortunate.”

The last dragon war was widely known, even if its impact was only felt in certain areas of the world.

“That’s where I come in. My group is an… outside faction. A third group if you wish. After the last war it was apparent that both sides needed a further negotiation system. We steel dragons stayed effectively neutral from either side and maintained a defense of the larger settlements.”

“The Greyhawk dragons – is that you?” Glyph said with sudden realization, using the name of the somewhat mysterious protectors of Greyhawk during the last war.

Skorad looked like he had eaten something distasteful. “Yes, that would be us, though our scope is far from limited to Greyhawk. You live in one of the many cities thoat does not have direct steel dragon oversight. This is my first visit to Cauldron in many months.”

“In any case, my purpose is to inform you of the rules. Whenever a group of adventurers or an army or government slays a dragon, they get a visit like this. I am here to facilitate your knowledge of the rules – the do’s and don’t’s if you will. You don’t have to follow the rules, but if you chose not to, you do not get the protection from retribution that they offer.”

“There are rules?” Astrid said.

“Yes. Let me explain. Left unchecked, the chromatics would do harm to the countryside. They are dragons after all. Some are ravenous, some are simply not too bright. It is the way of things. But to prevent all out war, they are allowed to do as they wish. But there are rules of engagement between dragons – direct confrontation is not permitted. You really not need concern yourself with the details of dragon-to-dragon interactions but there are things you need to know involving you and dragons.”

Skorad’s face turned serious, perhaps for the first time. “The first and most important is this. You must never raise a dragon from the dead or violate its body in the form of the undead. This is considered the most cardinal sin and both sides will hunt you down and destroy you.”

Not what I was expecting to hear.

He went on. “If a dragon attacks you, you are expected and encouraged to defend yourselves. But if you hunt them down without justification, then you will not be sheltered by the Council’s graces against retribution.”

“Wait,” Elizabeth held up her hand. “Are you saying that if it was a legitimate engagement or defense of ourselves or the country or what have you, that these rules protect us from retribution?”

“Oh absolutely,” he said. “Whether it was ‘legitimate’ can be contested of course – the steel dragons will conduct a trial in such cases.”

“So if someone killed a dragon who had attacked them,” she pressed, “the rules prevent retribution by the deceased dragons family for instance?”

“Yes. We call it the ‘Bastards have brothers’ clause.”

“Not that we have, of course,” Elizabeth replied.

Skorad’s patience was getting weary. “Please girl. I know you killed Hookface’s son. And given your general proximity to such a large, territorial dragon, it was important that I stop by. I really should have done it sooner. And given you this,” he said, pushing a small box towards us.

Glyph opened the box and inside was a dragon scale.

“As of the accord of five years ago, these are provided to groups like you that might run up against the rules. It allows for quicker communication with the Council. This can be used to contact me directly. I am your legal representative in this. You should notify me after you fight a dragon – or before, if you can.”

The entire group just looked at him silently so he went on.

“There are some other key elements. Anything that happens off-plane is not the Council’s concern, for instance. Dracoliches are fair game and you may hunt them all you wish. I only know of three. And should you fight a dragon and not slay him, he is permitted to seek retribution against you personally. Also only pureblood dragons count – if you slay one of Dorlat’s progeny, I certainly won’t say anything.”

“So how did you find out about our… encounter?” Elizabeth asked.

“Dragons of a given age are continually monitored by magic. When a dragon ends up dead, investigations are done to see who did it. I was a bit surprised to learn of your deeds but as I said it’s been some time since I was here last. But with your proximity to Hookface, well I’m not saying you’re going to go after him but it was past time for this conversation regardless.”

The conversation continued and there were some details explained. But the practical upshot was that as long as Maris didn’t go creating draconic zombies, we were protected from Hookface coming after us for killing his son. Still I was in no rush to brag about it.

After some time, Lord Vhalantruu, who the city council had elected mayor a few hours ago, emerged from a private room and took dinner. Elizabeth sent word she wished to speak with him and he received her a short time later.

“Welcome my dear. Congratulations on Redgorge – I just heard.”

“Thank you. It was a close thing. Congratulations to you on your election,” she replied.

“That too was a close thing, and unexpected. And not entirely welcome,” he said quietly.

“I do not wish to over-stay my welcome and tax your time,” she said politely. “But I was concerned about Lady Celeste and I understand you’ve done quite a lot of work trying to find her.”

“Indeed. I will be happy to share what I know. Lady Celeste came from the north some months ago. I confess I could deny her little. She had come south to investigate the disappearance of a relative close to her. I gave her access to many of my resources and she undertook some diplomatic work on her own, such as the affair you were involved in with the Splintershields. The day after you left on that task, she told me she had some information on a group called the… oh what was it… Prison… no… cagemaker… no…”

“Cagewrights?” Elizabeth supplied before she could stop to consider it.

“Yes, that’s it! She believed they were related to her relative’s disappearance but gave no details. She said she might have to go to Sasserine which was hardly unusual. She met up with an elf named Ramir before she left. I only know his name because he turned up dead last week, murdered. The watch had wanted to question you about it but having learned of your whereabouts I’ve rescinded that order. Ramir had approached me a short time ago inquiring after Celeste. I provided him what information I had and sent him on his way.”

Vhalantruu said quietly “Skellerang wanted to put a warrant out on you about that, but cooler heads prevailed.”

“In any case I’ve had divinations done by the Blue Crater Academy, the priests of Wee Jas and by Jenya. I asked a variety of questions. Most of them failed completely. She resists attempts to be scried, she cannot be summoned, and cannot be located. She is not in the afterlife. If she lives – and I believe she does – she is transformed or protected from being scanned. I cannot bankrupt myself on this but I have tried. For all I know, she might be hiding on purpose. I suspect foul play however.”

“So you have heard of these Cagewrights?” he asked.

“It’s a name that has come up during some of our travels,” Elizabeth said after a moment. By now she had sense enough to be cautious. “By some accounts they are a powerful group manipulating events behind the scenes in Cauldron for some nefarious purpose. But it’s more likely that it’s simply empty rumor and suspicion and it means nothing at all.”

Lord Vhalantruu had been helpful so far, but Elizabeth was worried she was being pumped for information and since we knew practically nothing, it seemed wiser to play off the group as meaningless until their reach could be better understood.

“Well, do keep me informed if you learn anything more about Celeste or these Cagewrights,” he asked.

“Of course, Lord Mayor,” she said with a small smile, and departed.

Meanwhile Glyph had gone back to the Morkoth to meet up with another person who seemed to be looking for us – the stranger at the inn. Glyph ordered himself a drink and then quite directly asked the man to join him. The man accepted.

“I am Govaris. I have been tasked with locating you.”

“I see. And for what purpose?” Glyph asked.

“To deliver this,” he said, pushing a small book out onto the table. “This is the book of my people – the People of Stone. I was charged with making you aware of my presence.”

Glyph opened the book and flipped through some of the pages. Cursory examination showed it to be a series of philosophies and study material. Many pictures were drawn, including one of a giant crystal inscribed with symbols, an elven man in ornate armor meditating before it. “This is a treatise on lucid dreaming?” Glyph asked.

“Indeed. As I said, I am one of the People of Stone. One of the Tested ones,” Govaris said as if it was evident.

Glyph finally made the connection. “Ah, the Testing. You’re from the Lendore Isles?”

Govaris nodded. “We seek enlightenment as the Great Dreamer does. This book is for you to keep. I travel from city to city, wherever the dreams tell me to go. They told me to come here. The book contains some of the secrets of our arts. Should you wish you, you can learn the secrets of dreaming and discoveries. And with it the secrets of your own Marks. I seek those who bear marks and help them bring them to fulfillment.”

“Interesting. One of us has often had prophetic dreams. But the Marks? Ah yes, we were just told of these recently.”

“Indeed. One amongst your number has received the benefit of our gifts before. She is powerful in the ways of the Dreaming, if she would only tap it. She can train herself in the art of the Lucid Dream. Should she desire to know more, she may find me at the Blue Crater Academy for three more days. “

“As for the Marks - these techniques are not simple, nor are the paths easy ones. There are two paths – the path of the mind and the path of the body. If you wish, you can seek out the Tested Ones – it is an epic journey either way. But I have discharged my duty and now I may go.”

“We thank you for your gift, Govaris,” Glyph said and shook the man’s hand.

By now the rest of us had returned from the Cusp of Sunrise and come to the table. We sat down and Glyph told us about Govaris. The end of his story was punctuated by a sharp crack as the door to the street flew off its hinges and half way across the room.

Three people charged into the inn – a woman in armor with a sword, a half-orc with a large sword and fine custom armor, and a human, his hands glowing with magical energy.

“Wouldn’t it have made more sense to come inside first and then attack us?” Astrid asked.

LordVyreth

First Post
Wow, speaking of references to the old campaign. I don't really remember the details of the Scaled Council, but some of the later bits of dragon politics definately ring a bell. As does The Dreaming.

It's also interesting that Celeste is so involved at this point in the campaign. I won't spoil anything, but she was handled much differently in the original adventure path.

Zad

First Post
Background on a rainy Wednesday:

The Scaled Council: The Council is an organization of dragons who's primary purpose was to maintain some semblance of peace between the metallic (good) and chromatic (evil) dragons. After earlier historical dragon wars the Council was founded. The history goes back quite a ways.

In the old campaign, the PCs encountered the Scaled Council from the first day though they didn't know it, as they were being employed by Lord Gelban, a.k.a. the Gilden, the leader of the Gold Dragons and co-chair of the council. Over time the Council broke down after Infernus (the head of the reds) attacked Lord Gelban and took him hostage. (Not entirely sure why, now that I think about it.) Open warfare broke out among the dragons, and cities like Hexpools were razed in the process. The PC's rescued Gelban from Infernus' demi-plane and returned him to leadership. After some of the forces pulling the strings were eliminated, the dragons were able to restore their troubled peace and restore the Council.

During the dragon wars, the PCs became aware of a force that had moved into Greyhawk and attempted to maintain order. This group was said to consist of grey dragons who would suddenly appear at the first sign of trouble, but the PCs never had a chance to investigate and determine if it really was dragons or some force posing as such. Since their adventures never took them back through Greyhawk, this force went un-investigated.

Exactly how the Council has evolved in the intervening ten years is something we are just starting to learn. However it's now become clear that the Greyhawk Dragons are in fact the Steel Dragons, who moved in to protect major civiliation centers. The Steel's have apparently been integrated into the Council's structure and some new rules implemented and old ones reinforced. (The notion of never ever raising a dragon from the dead was a taboo even in the first campaign.)

The metallic dragons in the last campaign would commonly use human agents and maintained a fair stable of such troubleshooters. The metallics tended to hold sway over a geographic territory. If this trend continued, it's somewhat surprising that the PCs have not yet been engaged by a metallic dragon, but it is likely that the metallics are at least aware of the Blue Tyger Legion by now. Certainly with the recent take-over of Occipitus, they will be appearing on people's radar in a whole new light.

The Dreaming and the People of Stone: The Dreaming, the People of Stone/the Testing and the Lendore Isles are all interrelated topics. A secretive group of elves live on the Lendore Isles. They are worshipers of Sehanine Moonbow, the elven goddess of dreams. Some of them have been through The Testing. The exact details and nature of this trial are unknown to us. But such tested people come out the other end changed. (This is all Greyhawk standard stuff I believe.) These people and Sehanine worshipers in general are skilled in Lucid Dreaming which is a method of controlling ones dreams to productive ends, either prophetically or for communication.

In the prior campaign, Aethramyr was a paladin of Sehanine and skilled in the Dreaming.

A cursory glance does not show any obvious connection to the events of this campaign so far. But it seems that the People of Stone are now taking a more active role in dealing with Marked individuals.

The Marks: Marks of Power are manifestations of latent potential in all beings. It's not clear if everyone is marked, or simply has the potential to become marked. In the prior campaign, all the PCs were marked. Most bore the Mark of Fire, while Aethramyr bore the Mark of Stone. Marks are very dependent on the individual for their form and manfestation - for Kayleigh the mark was intimately tied to her Archer's Nock which was related to her being an Arcane Archer. So the expression of the mark depends a great deal on the particular individual.

The Marks bear a link to the Primals - creatures that formed the prime material plane and represent primal forces like fire, earth, disease, and so on. The primals are neither good or evil - they are absolute and beyond such concepts.

In a more concrete sense, the marks are linked to epic progression. (i.e. going beyond 20th level) Unlocking the power in ones mark is essential to crossing into epic territory. The mechanism varies from class to class and can vary from person to person even then.

The marks may provide other benefits or penalties to the bearers but if so, it is not known to me.

How's that?

WizarDru

Adventurer
LordVyreth said:
Wow, speaking of references to the old campaign. I don't really remember the details of the Scaled Council, but some of the later bits of dragon politics definately ring a bell. As does The Dreaming.

It's also interesting that Celeste is so involved at this point in the campaign. I won't spoil anything, but she was handled much differently in the original adventure path.

Indeed. That won't be the last change to an NPC, either. One thing that's bothered me for a while is that, since I've been using the SCAP close to as-written, that certain elements of my setting were largely off-screen, as the characters weren't really seeing it. While I had a lot of the answers to how my version was different from Greyhawk and the RAW SCAP, it wasn't apparent to the PCs at all. They have now hit 11th level...such changes should become noticable, and now they have.

One of the players, I don't recall which, wondered what the Scaled Council, among others, thought of what was happening in Cauldron. A lot of power-brokers in the world appeared to be ignorant of said events...which in some cases stretched credulity unless explained. Even now, the question of how Celeste was able to remain on the Prime is a question that has been asked (though they'll have to find out themselves). In some cases, it's simply a logical extrapolation of what the players know of the world and in some cases it's a simple curiosity of how the campaign has changed since the players were in it.

I won't name names, but there's at least one important NPC who's eventual fate is just NOT IN THE BOOK (or if it is, it's REALLY well hidden). It's possible that it's meant to be left to the individual DM or that it's not THAT relevant to the later game, but it really, REALLY bugged me. One of the sins of the SCAP is a classic one: some modules are more interesting to READ than they are to PLAY. As DM, I can see why Sir Alek does what he does and what happened...but unless I embellish certain events, it's not clear or not important to the players.

Case in point: Sir Alek helped the players in "Drakthar's Way". While this wasn't originally scripted, it made sense as soon as they needed help (and he would have volunteered to lend them aid sooner or later)....and more importantly, made him a character they knew. His disappearance in Demonskar Legacy means something, emotionally, because he's not just 'some guy'...he's a real face with a real story.

Some of the modules in SCAP are no-brainers: motivating the players to rescue orphans and explore an abandoned magic factory? EASY. Convincing a battered party to accompany an OBVIOUSLY evil dude to a THE ABYSS? HARD SELL. Sure I made it work...but only because the players were willing to meet me half-way. The deck simply isn't stacked that well...and ultimately, while it has a greater campaign arc reason, that reason is poorly defined in the module for both DM and player....especially player.

I found this session very satisfying. Did I perhaps slather on a tad much of the previous campaign tie-ins? Probably (and you should realize, Zad left OUT some details, like the Lucky Monkey's new manager). But it was, IMHO, necessary to do a course-correction.

Understand, though, that this isn't an indictment of the SCAP....but of how the SCAP doesn't fit my players or my style that well. It does it's job pretty well...and it lasted a LOT longer than the WotC Adventure Path, whose shackles I was chafing before the second module was done.

Zad

First Post
WizarDru said:
Did I perhaps slather on a tad much of the previous campaign tie-ins? Probably (and you should realize, Zad left OUT some details, like the Lucky Monkey's new manager).

True dat. I left out a bunch of stuff for various reasons. Some just due to volume - a bridge session like this can have a lot of unrelated things that don't weave together well in a story format and so I was looking for edits to make.

The new Lucky Monkey management is Ember. As in "Scorch's sister" who is apparently now a worshiper of Farlanghan. Ok maybe it's just someone named Ember and a coincidence - yeah right. (Left out since we would have no idea who she was.)

Maris had an amusing run with Vortimax Weir about her homework, most of which was inadvertently already done due to adventuring. (Left out since it happened out of narrator view.)

Kris and Shensen have been "exploring each other's faith" if you know what I mean. And I think you do.

Jenya has leveled up some since last we knew and can raise the dead on her own. Much to my personal surprise.

There were a few points I left out of Astrid's visit with Skie.

I think there's more - I just can't remember them.

A lot of power-brokers in the world appeared to be ignorant of said events...which in some cases stretched credulity unless explained.

Very true, and one that I've speculated about. Especially true in recent days.

1. Cauldron is entirely too close to Celene for the elves not to have ears out. (as it were)

2. When a group of *hundreds* of demons attacks a town in apparent violation of the Interdiction, that's going to get a lot of people's attention. More than anything this recent development will, I think, make a lot of heads suddenly snap around and look in Cauldron's direction.

3. Power: Kris and Maris are hitting their stride. Kris can RAISE. THE. DEAD. Maris is getting 6th level spells and is going to start attracting attention. I'm sure the Blue Crater Academy is well monitored so it won't be long now that she's re-surfaced with far more power (oh, and her own demi-plane).

4. Dead dragons tend to attract attention

5. PC's have appeared on the radar of several factions and those factions have willingly chosen to appear on the PC's radar now. Crosstalk and spying is going to cause word to spread farther.

I believe what happened last week is only the tip of the iceberg and suddenly things are going to pick up speed. People sure as heck are going to hear about "demon army" and want to know what happened.

LordVyreth

First Post
This begs another question, now that the campaign is nearing its climax. How do you resolve the fact that the original party is still out there? At some point, the Meepites will theoretically want to do something, even if it's off-camera. The other SH that I read about this path here actually made use of this by replacing a benevolent NPC with a former player character. Granted, it was an evil player character, so it wasn't so simple a matter, but it was an interesting idea.

WizarDru

Adventurer
LordVyreth said:
This begs another question, now that the campaign is nearing its climax. How do you resolve the fact that the original party is still out there? At some point, the Meepites will theoretically want to do something, even if it's off-camera. The other SH that I read about this path here actually made use of this by replacing a benevolent NPC with a former player character. Granted, it was an evil player character, so it wasn't so simple a matter, but it was an interesting idea.
Nearing it's climax? They're only 11th level, me lad. The finale modules are, IMHO, the weakest link. Chapters 10 and 11 are both really just one module, and I don't like how they handle things. The main story may resolve or may NOT resolve that way, but if it does, I'd like the players to actually know WHO the Cagewrights are BEFORE they end up fighting them. Bad guys who they don't know or have a history with are not much more use to me than just a random stat-block...and the Cagewrights are mostly set up as late campaign roadblocks in one of a couple of modules. WEAK.

Your assumption is that the original party is still together as a collective group. That's not really the case, 10 years down the line. They interact periodically, but their separated duties keep them away from each other....and they've become part of the power structure on the Prime they unseated. It's rules now dominate their fates. Only one of the party members of the previous campaign truly goes her own way.

Though it may not be immediately evident, three of the previous game's party members have already directly acted in Cauldron on some level, and two of them indirectly. I would say more, but I don't know that all of the PCs have made those connections, and at least one of those is a minor spoiler. Such as it is. :)

Zad said:
1. Cauldron is entirely too close to Celene for the elves not to have ears out. (as it were)
Actually, it is too far. Celene is roughly 220-250 miles away, across four other nations (the Sea Princes, the Yeomanry, Keoland and either one of the Uleks). By boat, Cauldron is closer to the Scarlet Brotherhood, but the Sea Princes control the regional waters, so the brothers (who were soundly beaten years ago) never come that far West.

As for the other issues...let's just say the Grey Guild already has spoken with Maris, more than once. One of the party members has allied himself with the Chisel, another has actively been making contacts all over the city and all of them are beginning to chafe under the current settings of taxes. As for Redgorge...well, we'll see how that plays out, shall we?

Argent Silvermage

First Post
LordVyreth said:
My personal theory is that The Meepites may have known about the Deamons but due to thier working alongside The God of Balance (can't remember his name) they may have to work with those laws. I'm sure Dravot the demigod does.
It was kind of an assumption on my part that the rest of the Meepites are considered a part of his "Mythology" and thus may be considered effected by it as well. If they break the rules Dravot and Pelor are effected.

I can't think why Bolo would get involved except to do something about the flooding. Of course if he was asked he would bring the wrath of nature down on demons but to my knowledge no one has asked him.

Remove ads