ZEITGEIST Zeitvice: one GM's guide to the best AP

Andrew Moreton

Adventurer
For the ZG setting where you are getting cartridge firearms with revolvers and breech loaders you probably need guns to be better than bows except possibly for the very best archers, for the earlier smoothbore muzzleloaders PF makes them far to good historically until at least the 1870's a skilled archer was better than a musket armed soldier. It is just easier to train musketeers it takes a few weeks not the years to train a longbowman.
This of course is the opposite of almost every RPG systems which makes smoothbore guns require skilled experts and be much more accurate than bows. Just make early firearms useless so pc's don't use them and make revolvers and breechloading rifles slightly better than longbows , small bonus to hit and the same damage should work. The big advantage they had was they were still easier to use and you could take cover while loading and firing which is not well represented in most RPG rules anyway

Arcaneshield

Explorer
I'm running the fourth edition version of this adventure and have decided not to use the Naval combat rules. They were a bit too complicated and my party did not seem interested in going into in depth naval combat. So I ask with the ending of act one how do you suggest I run the big epic confrontation with borne?

Andrew Moreton

Adventurer
Wing it.
Let the players make decisons maybe make a few dice rolls then describe events, use the examples from the naval combat description as inspirations and just allow a few personal encounters with whitch oil slimes etc. I think most GM's just wing this encounter and don't use the naval rules

I would focus on constructing a set-piece battle against vengeful spirits released by Borne, with the PCs charged with protecting Aodhan. The raging waters and the cannon fire would be a backdrop to that. I might also consider running a naval battle anyway, with a more skill-challenge-like structure, rather than anything focusing on ship statistics.

Andrew Moreton

Adventurer
I made sure to make the players feel very inolved in the decision making so beside protecting the king they came up with several schemes to confuse and distract bourne to prevent him sinking ships. Every time they succesfully implemented a plan I amde sure to describe how it had ennabled one or more warships to disengage from him and avoid being sunk

COMING SOON: 5 Plug-In Settlements for your 5E Game

Advertisement2

Advertisement4