• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Zombie and Skeleton Minion Madness!

Spatula

Explorer
We know at one point minios had more than 1 HP (see the old vampire spawn stats from the DDM cards), so I am guessing that the zombie rotters made more sense back then, as they probably had more HP than your average low-level minion. Then the change is made that all minions have 1 HP, and that aspect of the monster is altered but the rest is left the same. Leaving you with a paper tiger of a soap bubble, to mix metaphors. :) That's my theory. The rotter should still be level 2 (at best) seeing as it has the same exact defenses as the level 2 zombie.

It might be an interesting fix to make even zombie minions "tough" by requiring two hits (or one crit) to take them down instead of one, and leaving the poor defenses. Giving them a grab ability is certainly fitting, too, and has been suggested a lot.

strumbleduck

First Post
GoLu said:
I have an alternative explanation. The zombie rotter is actually level 1 and only pretends to be level 3.

Look at its attribute bonuses. Strength of 14 giving a +2 bonus? What's up with that? Compare that to the (lower level) zombie. The rotter's secret shame is revealed.

I agree. For every other monster in the manual (including minions, e.g. the legion devil minions on pg. 64), the bonus listed next to each ability score is (base bonus) + level/2. For the zombie minions, the listed bonuses only make sense for a level 1 monster. Furthermore, the Perception of -1 Initiative of -2 are also inconsistent with a 3rd-level monster, but follow the rules if the minion is 1st level. Finally, it seems very strange that zombie minions would be a higher level than actual zombies!

Surely the listed level is a typo. Zombie minions were supposed to be 1st level.

Jhaelen

First Post
GoLu said:
Look at its attribute bonuses. Strength of 14 giving a +2 bonus? What's up with that?
Good catch!
I'll have to check a couple of other monsters to see, if those attribute modifiers match up with their supposed level...

OakwoodDM

First Post
The other option, for those who managed to pick up a copy of the Free RPG Day DnD adventure, is to use the Pack Zombie Minions in there. Nastier than the Rotters and level 2.

JGulick

First Post
How about giving them a new ability like this...

Death Save (when reduced to or below 0 hit points)
Unless damaged by a Critical Hit or Radiant Damage, immediately make a saving throw. A Zombie Rotter that makes this save is knocked prone with 1 hp rather than killed. If damaged by a Critical Hit or Radiant Damage, the Zombie Rotter dies with no save.

This would seem to bring them from level 1 to level 3, if not a little beyond. And it gives Turn Undead (and other Radiant multi-target effects) a chance to shine against minion undead just as they do against non-minion undead.

Wormwood

Adventurer
OakwoodDM said:
The other option, for those who managed to pick up a copy of the Free RPG Day DnD adventure, is to use the Pack Zombie Minions in there. Nastier than the Rotters and level 2.
Pack Zombies have lurched to the top of my "Top Five Low-Level Minions" list.

I can't wait for my KotS players to meet them.

Remove ads