(3.X D&D/d20) Recruiting: The First (Now OOC)

Arkhandus

First Post
Pyre's Review

Here is Pyre's crunch, I don't have the appearance and biography done yet, wanted to clear the crunch first.

Code:
[B]Name:[/B] Pyre
[B]Class:[/B] Brightsoul
[B]Race:[/B] Flamekin
[B]Size:[/B] Medium
[B]Type:[/b] Elemental
[B]Gender:[/B] Male
[B]Alignment:[/B] Neutral Good
[B]Deity:[/B] Joramy(I wasn't sure what gods we were using, but she seemed a decent fit)

[B]Str:[/B] 14 +2            [B]Level:[/B] 1        [B]XP:[/B] 0
[B]Dex:[/B] 18 +4            [B]BAB:[/B] +0         [B]HP:[/B] 11 (1d8+3)
[B]Con:[/B] 16 +3            [B]Grapple:[/B] +1     [B]Dmg Red:[/B] None
[B]Int:[/B] 14 +2            [B]Speed:[/B] 30'      [B]Spell Res:[/B] 0
[B]Wis:[/B] 12 +1            [B]Init:[/B] +4        [B]Spell Save:[/B] +0
[B]Cha:[/B] 21 +5            [B]ACP:[/B] -0         [B]Spell Fail:[/B] 0%
Pyre wouldn't have a patron deity yet, at least not that he is aware of. Only divine casters and similar sorts start this campaign with a known patron deity. Anyway, the whole basis of the Brightsoul would be partly defeated by knowing your creator right off the bat.

Charisma cannot be 21; the max is 18 before racial adjustments, so a Flamekin can only have a 20 Charisma at start. Either your Strength, Constitution, Intelligence, or Wisdom must be 1 point higher.

Grapple bonus should be +2.
Theroc said:
Code:
                   [B]Base  Armor Shld   Dex  Size   Nat  Misc  Total[/B]
[B]Armor:[/B]              10    +0    +0    +4    +0    +0    +0    14
[B]Touch:[/B] 14              [B]Flatfooted:[/B] 10

[B]Base   Mod  Misc  Total[/B]
[B]Fort:[/B]                      2    +3          +5
[B]Ref:[/B]                       0    +4          +4
[B]Will:[/B]                      0    +1          +1

[B]Weapon                  Attack   Damage     Critical[/B]
Shortsword                +2     1d6+2      19-20x2
Morningstar               +2     1d8+2      20-20x2
Shortspear(Melee)         +2     1d6+2      20-20x2
Shortspear(Ranged)        +4     1d6+2      20-20x2

[B]Languages:[/B] Flamekin, Common, Ignan, Terran
Note that the morningstar or shortspear could be held two-handed for an extra 1 point of damage. And please note the shortspear's range increment. However, see my note below on equipment.

Theroc said:
Code:
[B]Abilities:[/B] 
[i]Elemental Type[/i]
Darkvision out to 60 feet.
Immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, and stunning.
Not subject to critical hits or flanking.
Unlike most other living creatures, an elemental does not have a dual nature—its soul and body form one unit. When an elemental is slain, no soul is set loose.
Spells that restore souls to their bodies, such as raise dead, reincarnate, and resurrection, don’t work on an elemental.
It takes a different magical effect, such as limited wish, wish, miracle, or true resurrection, to restore it to life.
Proficient with natural weapons only, unless generally humanoid in form, in which case proficient with all simple weapons and any weapons mentioned in its entry.
Proficient with whatever type of armor (light, medium, or heavy) that it is described as wearing, as well as all lighter types. 
Elementals not indicated as wearing armor are not proficient with armor. Elementals are proficient with shields if they are proficient with any form of armor.
Elementals do not eat, sleep, or breathe.

[i]Flamekin Race[/i]
Fire Resistance 5, increases 5 every 7 levels(Immune at 20th)
Vulnerable to Cold(Take 50% more cold damage)

[u]Weakness to Water[/u]
Any water-based attack that deals damage to the flamekin deals half again as much untyped damage to the flamekin.
In addition, simply touching water deals 1 damage, while a bucket of water dumped on the flamekin deals 1d6 damage.
A flamekin’s fiery body evaporates the water immediately, preventing any additional damage.
A flamekin exposed to rain takes 1d6 damage each round, although a drizzle may deal only 1 damage per round instead.
A completely submerged flamekin takes 2d6 damage each round and must make a Fort save to remain conscious.

Heat of the Flames: Can ignite body to deal additional unarmed damage or continual damage in a grapple.  Increases based on level.

Body grants torchlike illumination and a -6 penalty on hide checks.  Can be suppressed.
Please add the save DC for full immersion in water. DC 15, +1 per previous round submerged, 1 minute out of water resets the DC.

Please add the damage dealt by Heat of the Flames.
Theroc said:
Code:
[i]Brightsoul Class[/i]
Inner-flame Nova (Su): As a standard action, the flamekin brightsoul can flare up his inner flame,
expanding it to a burst 5 ft. around him. The inner-flame nova deals damage to each creature
in the area equal to the brightsoul’s flamekin racial Heat of the Flames fire damage bonus, multiplied by
the brightsoul’s Cha modifier (minimum 1). A successful Reflex save at DC 10 + 1/2 class level + Con modifier
halves the damage.  Once used, inner-flame nova cannot be used again for 1d4 rounds.

Surges: Flamekin may select surges from spells of the Fire (or Light by DM permission) descriptor,
or from manuevers from the Desert Wind School from the Tome of Battle: Book of Nine Swords.
Treat the Brightsoul's class level as it's caster level and initiator level for the purposes of selection.

[B]Feats:[/B] Point Blank Shot

[b]Surges Known:[/b]
Level 0: Flare, Dancing Lights
Level 1: Burning Hands
Please note the save DCs for Surges. And their useage (Spell, Spell-Like, or Supernatural, as well as uses per day: 1/day, 1/encounter, or at-will). This will be more important as you advance in level and surges start to change into Sp/Su abilities or as you choose a particular surge more than once for multiple uses per day/encounter.

Also, Brightsoul selection of maneuvers is unusual; the effective level of a maneuver or stance for purposes of them learning it is the level at which a Swordsage would be able to learn it; level 1 for a 1st-level maneuver, level 3 for a 2nd-level maneuver, level 5 for a 3rd-level maneuver, level 7 for a 4th-level maneuver, etc. It's odd, but I suppose it has to do with the per-encounter nature of maneuvers and the at-will nature of stances.

Theroc said:
Code:
[B]Skill Points:[/B] 24       [B]Max Ranks:[/B] 4/2
[B]Skills                   Ranks  Mod  Misc  Total[/B]
Climb                      4    +2          +6
Concentration              4    +3          +7
Diplomacy                  2    +5          +7
Jump                       4    +2          +6
Gather Information         2    +5          +7
Spot                       4    +1          +5
Tumble                     4    +4          +8

[B]Equipment:               Cost  Weight[/B]
Shortsword               10gp   02lb
Morningstar              08gp   06lb
Shortspear(x2)           02gp   03lb
XXXX                     XXgp   XXlb

[B]Total Weight:[/B]11lb      [B]Money:[/B] 0gp XXsp XXcp

[B]Light   Medium   Heavy  Lift  Push[/B]
[B]Max Weight:[/B]               58   59-116  117-233   466   1165

[B]Age:[/B] 27 (No idea what the starting age would be)
[B]Height:[/B] 6'05"
[B]Weight:[/B] 350lb
[B]Eyes:[/B] Violet
[B]Hair:[/B] Blue
[B]Skin:[/B] Black
Appearance: XXXX

Background: XXXX
Morningstars and shortspears are normally made primarily of wood. So you'll set them on fire with an Inner-Flame Nova (though it's entirely possible that the items will survive without any damage for a few rounds, due to their hardness and the low damage of IFN at low levels, giving you a chance to snuff them out). As you get higher in level, the nova will get strong enough to damage the items by itself, and the burning will continue to have a small chance of damaging them each round.

Nonetheless, if you want to keep these weapons to start with, that's fine. They won't burn up too quickly, and the group is filled with smiths, so it's not unlikely that Pyre will be able to acquire a solid metal weapon after a little while.

Carried weight is 14 pounds at present.

Age should probably be 14 yeras old, effectively. The PDF gives no mention, but I imagine their lives are somewhat short compared to humans, burning brightly but quickly. They don't *seem* to be immortal. So I'm going to consider them to be about the same as half-orcs in age categories.

Work out some basic background and appearance description by Monday or Tuesday. I'll probably start the IC thread around then, or maybe Wednesday.

Theroc

First Post
My mistake on the charisma there... I noted it and then forgot later while writing him up. Will elaborate on the surge info. Thank you for the information. I have access to the Desert Wind Manuevers(Wizards had a downloadable PDF of those, along with all the others) but not the swordsage class itself. If you disapprove of that form of access, I can restrict my surge choices to Tome and Blood spells and PHB spells (Unless you have access to Spell Compendium)

Will note the two handed bonus.

As for equipment and IFN, I had checked the hardness and HP of the weapons before taking them, also noting that fire typically does half-damage to objects, which means I wouldn't be actually damaging my equipment until possible level 2 (Where I'd deal between 5 and 15 damage, cut in half is 2 to 7, reduced to 2 with hardness). Though, I'm wondering... if I'm damaging my own equipment, that would mean Pyre would damage the equipment of those he's attacking too, right?

Will add age and correct weight(forgot the second shortspear, weightwise)

Also, a question for the future: Would it be possible for Pyre to find flame resistant/immune gear during adventuring? Some material that would be flame resistant? Because if we DO get to the higher levels, assuming no further charisma increases, Pyre's nova can do between 5 and 100 damage. (I dislike how Fissionessence scaled the damage die, but oh well). Which means 2 to 50 damage to equipment, which is potentially able to damage adamantine.

Edit: Another question for the future.
The flamekin article mentions sleep being required for recovering spell-type surges, yet Elementals do not sleep. Should I just assume this means 8 hours of meditation?

Another edit:
Edited the sheet, did not repost. I think I got everything.

Last edited:

Arkhandus

First Post
As I believe is listed in the first post, I have the Tome of Battle. I do not have Spell Compendium.

I would rule that any item granting fire resistance/immunity shares that resistance/immunity. I'll have to consider whether or not that should extend to the rest of a character's gear. If that seems too cheap or not quite appropriate in the rules, I would at least allow a fireproofing ability to be added to magic items similarly to the fire-resistance armor abilities. Also, note that Resist Energy spells already extend their resistance to an affected character's equipment within the RAW (though not Protection from Energy).

Last edited:

Theroc

First Post
As I believe is listed in the first post, I have the Tome of Battle. I do not have Spell Compendium.

I am aware you have it, but I was informing you I only have access to the pieces that Wizards of the Coast placed on their website, specifically, the manuever power cards. I was not sure how you felt about that as a source, so I wanted to ask beforehand.

I would rule that any item granting fire resistance/immunity shares that resistance/immunity. I'll have to consider whether or not that should extend to the rest of a character's gear. If that seems too cheap or not quite appropriate in the rules, I would at least allow a fireproofing ability to be added to magic items similarly to the fire-resistance armor abilities. Also, note that Resist Energy spells already extend their resistance to an affected character's equipment within the RAW (though not Protection from Energy).

So, a ring of Fire Resistance would help protect my gear? I do find it rather humorous that a fire resistance race needs to invest in fire resistant gear so he doesn't ruin it. I could definitely see some "Edward Scissorhands" moments. "Let me see that paper!" "No Pyre don't-" ~Pyre seizes the paper as it promptly crumples into ash~ "touch it..."

Anyways, I'm fine as long as I can find ways to protect my gear without having to spend almost all of my wealth on it. (Granted, I could probably figure something out even if I did have to... for one thing it'd make IUS look a lot more attractive, lol)

Arkhandus

First Post
Though, I'm wondering... if I'm damaging my own equipment, that would mean Pyre would damage the equipment of those he's attacking too, right?

Edit: Another question for the future.
The flamekin article mentions sleep being required for recovering spell-type surges, yet Elementals do not sleep. Should I just assume this means 8 hours of meditation?
The article tries to avoid calling them out as elementals and just letting folks assume they're somehow humanoid like normal races, despite literally being composed of fire and rocks. 8 hours of total rest required to recover spells (laying around, sitting around, or whatever, without casting or the like).

If you struck an enemy's equipment, you could damage it. Technically, the rules don't specify that a successful hit strikes an opponent's gear as well (i.e. their clothing or armor or whatever) nor that a miss might still make contact with the armor or whatever. It'd probably be broken to just let a hit on an enemy (or a miss that would have hit touch AC otherwise) to destroy enemy equipment as though striking it directly. Your Inner Flame Nova can damage objects, though, I'd say, since it's an area blast. Though the rules only say 'creatures' are damaged by it, I don't see any reason why it WOULDN'T affect objects. Note these parts of the rules:
SRD said:
Nonmagical, unattended items never make saving throws. They are considered to have failed their saving throws, so they always are affected by spells. An item attended by a character (being grasped, touched, or worn) makes saving throws as the character (that is, using the character’s saving throw bonus).
SRD said:
A magic item doesn’t need to make a saving throw unless it is unattended, it is specifically targeted by the effect, or its wielder rolls a natural 1 on his save. Magic items should always get a saving throw against spells that might deal damage to them— even against attacks from which a nonmagical item would normally get no chance to save.

Arkhandus

First Post
Angrboda looks fine. I'll assume the rest of Angrboda's starting wealth was in the 20 pounds of seed stock. Can't find any decent indication of much that's worth, but Angrboda could certainly afford that much in full-grown veggies, so I'll assume it's enough for that many pounds of seed stock.

I'll do another check over Metliz, Pyre, and the rest. Still need Elidar to be fixed/updated a bit (and is it ELIDAR, or ELLDAR? Hard to tell).

A few other NPCs from your starting area will be posted as I finish them. If you want to name or give any details to other NPCs that may be important to your characters in some way, add mention of them to your character backgrounds before game-start (and before I go invalidating it with my own NPC ideas). The IC thread will probably open on Tuesday or Wednesday.

Theroc

First Post
The article tries to avoid calling them out as elementals and just letting folks assume they're somehow humanoid like normal races, despite literally being composed of fire and rocks. 8 hours of total rest required to recover spells (laying around, sitting around, or whatever, without casting or the like).

Yes, I am aware of that at this point(prior to your pointing it out it hadn't occurred to me since it wasn't stated.), but since you've ruled it is an elemental, I had wondered how that would be affected.

If you struck an enemy's equipment, you could damage it. Technically, the rules don't specify that a successful hit strikes an opponent's gear as well (i.e. their clothing or armor or whatever) nor that a miss might still make contact with the armor or whatever. It'd probably be broken to just let a hit on an enemy (or a miss that would have hit touch AC otherwise) to destroy enemy equipment as though striking it directly. Your Inner Flame Nova can damage objects, though, I'd say, since it's an area blast. Though the rules only say 'creatures' are damaged by it, I don't see any reason why it WOULDN'T affect objects. Note these parts of the rules:

The Nova blast was what I was wondering about. Also, as a supernatural ability, can that be used in a grapple?

Remove ads