Airwalkrr's Shackled City OOC (D&D 3.5)

airwalkrr

Adventurer
That sounds good, Bohemian, I like it.

A dwarf cleric of Kord would be good to add to the mix. Note what I said earlier about clerics.

The tally so far is:

Legildur - human monk
Strahd_Von_Zarovich - half-orc fighter
Bohemian Ear-Spork - human dread necromancer
Oni - cleric or druid
Zarust - dwarf cleric of kord

No skillful characters (bard/rogue) have been offered up yet. The party would do well to have one of those. A less specialized arcane caster would also be helpful, though not necessary.

Vertexx69

First Post
I might be interested in trying my hand at a bardly type fellow, although I have no idea what shackled city is. :)

What lvl is the game starting at ? (28 buy points doesn't seem like a lot for a "tough" campaign.)

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Shackled City is an adventure path published by Paizo, but what it is doesn't matter. You don't really have to know what it is to play it, other than the fact that it is D&D. :) The game starts at level 1.

As for the relative power level of 28 points, that probably depends on the type of games you are used to playing. There is a standard distribution for encounter challenges presented in the DMG. Roughly half of the challenges a party faces are equal to their level, roughly 30% are lower than the party level, and thus fairly easy, and roughly 20% are higher than the party level, and thus fairly difficult. 25 points is typically sufficient to deal with the challenges provided by a standard campaign like this. However, Shackled City skews the percentages slightly more in favor of more challenging encounters, but not drastically so. 28 points should be sufficient to deal with the challenges presented by this tougher campaign. Now if you are used to using more than that then clearly you are used to even tougher campaigns than usual and it won't seem as big of a power leap. If that's the case, Shackled City might be easier than the campaigns you are used to.

Legildur

First Post
I'm going to go for rolling on Invisible Castle.

I'll use "Legildur's Shackled City ability scores" as a title or something similar. A monk needs every advantage they can get and I reckon 3 rolls will deliver a better rounded character than 28 PB.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
You know I've realized a better idea would be to simply have everyone roll under their EN World screen name. Just do that. I was testing to see how best to do it. Instead of using the "Roll Stats" option, use the "Roll Dice option and enter '6' for "Number of Rolls" and '4d6.takeHighest(3)' for "Dice." Under "Note" put 'Airwalkrr's Shackled City.' Do that three times and select the roll you like best.

Last edited:

Legildur

First Post
Rolls are:

#1: STR 16, DEX 15, CON 12, INT 11, WIS 15, CHA 10

#2: STR 13, DEX 5, CON 10, INT 13, WIS 13, CHA 12

#3: STR 16, DEX 10, CON 8, INT 13, WIS 14, CHA 9

#4: STR 16, DEX 15, CON 12, INT 11, WIS 15, CHA 10

I rolled #4 only because I thought I might be able to throw away #2 due to the low overall modifiers (can't remember exact rule from PHB or whether you apply it). Doesn't matter much as #1 was a good roll and I'll take that.

edit: I used the "roll stats" option. Sorry. Didn't see your post until I had finished.

Last edited:

airwalkrr

Adventurer
That's fine Legildur. And for others who are rolling, if you get a set that is unplayable as defined by the PH (the sum of your modifiers is 0 or lower, or if your highest score is 13 or lower), that set doesn't count as one of your three.

Thanee

First Post
Ah, Shackled City. We started that once, but never got anywhere.

So, if there is still room, I would be interested (probably as an arcane caster, i.e. sorcerer, since I like those best :)).

Bye
Thanee

Zarust

First Post
http:///invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1753175/ (roll #1)
Roll Lookup (roll#2)
Roll Lookup (roll #3)

I will go with Roll # 2 for his stats and will work on a more detailed history of the character today to help flesh him out further now that I have an idea of how to describe his crunchier parts. When thinking of his concept, I didn't see him as a turning type of priest, more of a drawing on the might of Kord to make the situation better, so the "lack" of undead will actually work well with this concept. I haven't really had much experience with priests, which is why I wanted to try one out, so I am not really sure what divine feats to look at, but will check my books out to see what I can find to help along the way.

Also if the option is still there, I would like to start him off multiclassed (Ftr/Clr), to show his time served as a bouncer/guard for hire before entering the church. I don't mind him being a bit older, dwarves do get the luxury of time, and it will give me more material to write with for his background. If it would be better for him not to go this route, I don't want to hurt the party for my own gain, then I will stick with being straight cleric and train during the game to show his gaining a level of fighter.

[sblock=Goran]Goran CR 1 (0 xp)
Male Dwarf Priest 1 (Kord)
CG Medium humanoid
Init +1; Senses Listen +2, Spot +2
Languages Common, Dwarven
-----------------------------------------------------------------
AC 11, touch 11, flat-footed 10
hp: 11 (1d8+3) (1 HD)
Fort +5, Ref +1, Will +4
Spd 20 ft.
Melee +3 (1d+3/x2/)
Base Atk +0; Grp +3
Combat Possessions
Abilities Str 17, Dex 12, Con 16, Int 12, Wis 15, Cha 11
SQ 60’ Darkvision; +2 to all saves vs spells and spell-like effects and poisons; Stonecunning; +2 to all Craft skill checks with metal or stone; +2 to all Appraise checks that have to do with stone or metal items; +1 to all Attack rolls against orcs and goblinoid creatures; +4 Dodge bonus against Giants.
Class Features Proficient with all Simple Weapons and all types of Armor and Shields, except Tower Shields; Can cast divine spells; Turn Undead; Spontaneous Casting of Cure spells; Cannot cast Evil spells; Strength Domain Perform a feat of strength as a supernatural ability (enhancement bonus equal to cleric level and effect lasts one round/once per day); Good Domain: Cast Good spells at +1 caster level.

Feats: Combat Casting

Skills : Concentration +2, Heal +4, Knowledge (Arcana) +2, Knowledge (Religion) +2, Spellcraft +2

Possessions:

[sblock=Advancement]
L1->Priest 1 HP: 11 (1d8+3) SP: 12 (2+1) x4 )
Feats: Combat Casting

Skills: Concentration +2, Heal +4, Knowledge (Arcana) +2, Knowledge (Religion) +2, Spellcraft +2 [/sblock]

[sblock=Background] Work in progress [/sblock] [/sblock]

[sblock=Appearance]
Goran is broad shouldered, heavily muscled, with a shaved head and a pair of predatory emerald eyes. Multiple piercings cover his face, from his eyebrows to his lips and a thin scar starts just below his right eye and curves to his chin, a reminder to never underestimate a man charging him with nothing more than a broken wine bottle. His armor is well worn, but serviceable, as is the large axe strapped across his back, with Kord’s symbol etched on the heads. Around his neck is a silver medallion of Kord, but if anyone was able to examine it closely, they would see the many small dents and scratches that have accumulated on it since Goran first had it placed around his neck.

While many priests preach about the wonders of their faith, Goran believes that the best sermons are delivered through action. As such, he does not mix words and he speaks his mind freely and bluntly. While he has been known to ruffle a few feathers among the other good clergymen he has encountered, especially those who have a less aggressive mindset than he does, none can argue that the paths he travels aren’t a little more interesting when he is around.

Although his family will never admit, they are disappointed that Goran did not follow in serving in the ranks of the All Father’s priests; neither will they admit that their son is doing the right thing in their opinion by spending his days and nights brawling and carousing in the name of Kord. [/sblock]

Last edited:

Oni

First Post
Since Zarust is doing a cleric I'll go with the druid then.

Now to go check out this invisiblecastlethingummy. :)

Remove ads