Airwalkrr's Shackled City OOC (D&D 3.5)

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Sorry, no grey elves. With virtually no exceptions, high elves are the only elves in Greyhawk who interact with other races on a regular basis. Most other elves, particularly grey elves, are insular and xenophobic in the extreme.

Zarust

First Post
Since it sounds like Redgorge is the most likely place for Goran to come from, I will go with it for my home location before heading to Cauldron. Will you still be handling the roll for the traits?

Also since Goran is going to be older, at least as far as human standards go, if you could recommend a tavern that he worked before, as well as frequently visits after, becoming a cleric, that might allow some of the others to have met him prior to the adventure taking place.

Edit: Also the feat(s) that I had in mind were the Earth Sense and Earth Adept feats. I would take the Earth Sense one first, replacing Combat Casting if approved and tie it into his backstory as another reason his family is disappointed in his current lifestyle choice as they see him as being given a gift by the Dwarven gods, yet he still choices to embrace Kord and his doctrines. If you would prefer to work it into the plot, I could see the miners that remain at Redgorge being good teachers, as it would be something they would be able to use when searching for people in cave-ins/tunnel collapses.

[sblock=Earth Adept [General]
You are in tune with the ground at your feet, making you more dangerous in the shifting conditions of combat.

Prerequisites: Con 13, Wis 13, Earth Sense.​

Benefit: You gain a +1 bonus on weapon damage rolls if both you and your foe are touching the ground.​

[/sblock]

[sblock=Earth Sense [General]
You are in tune with the earth beneath you.

Prerequisites: Con 13, Wis 13.​

Benefit: As long as you are touching the ground, you can take a move action to sense the number of creatures within 20 feet that are also touching the ground and the direction to each one. You cannot pinpoint the location of any creature with this feat.​

[/sblock]

Last edited:

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Since it seems you have put some thought into working the feats into your background and the region, I will approve them, although of course you would only get Earth Sense at 1st level.

There is a local dive known as the Tipped Tankard that your characters are probably all familiar with (unless any of you are nobility, in which case, you may not stoop to that level). The company is crass, the food is terrible, and the ale is watered down, but it's the best place for gossip in town, and there's nothing Cauldronites love more than a juicy piece.

And yes, I'll still be rolling up the random traits if your character is local. I'll let everyone know which trait they receive just before the start of the campaign.

I'm going to avoid taking anything unusual in the way of Feats -- "Tomb Tainted Soul" is a bit of a cliche at this point, and while it would fit Simon somewhat, I think that it would better suit his character as something that happens to him as he advances as a DN...much to his shock and horror when he discovers that normal healing magics are now potentially lethal to him.

At this point, Spell Focus: Necromancy and (if permissible) Empower Turning from Complete Divine. If not, probably the ever-useful Improved Initiative.

Background and history are currently posted in the Rogue's Gallery thread; the character proper is on his way.

Zarust

First Post
Thanks for letting the feats into play. They should be about as far as I stray from the core books for now, as I think everything else he needs will be available in the PHB.

Now to get cracking on the story of Goran Nalthic, will roll his clan name from the Races of Stone in a few.

Edit: Ironically enough I randomly rolled the last name and it translates to Honored Champion. Just the thing to springboard a bio about a dwarf who fell far the "tree".

Last edited:

airwalkrr

Adventurer
You're unlikely to garner much of a benefit from Empower Turning in this campaign. I would recommend Improved Initiative, although you may gain access to Empower Turning at a later point if you still desire.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
The background is excellent, Zarust; definitely enough to deserve a bonus magical item. I will determine what it is when I get home from work. You might want to make one minor adjustment however. The church of Boccob has no presence in the region so it is impossible for your character to have ever gained any guidance from them. The church of Wee Jas would be a perfect substitute.

Zarust

First Post
As much as I would love the free item Airwalkrr, it is Bohemian who has already set the bar high with his background. I will keep my fingers crossed that mine can fall into the same category though. :)

Stats are up, except for equipment. I made some guesses on armor and weaponry; these might change once I start spending. Which is actually a minor problem -- the DN doesn't have any starting gold listed. Treat him as a cleric? Unlike a wizard, he gets armor and a martial weapon proficiency.

And, assuming that you were indeed talkin' to me there, Wee Jas has been swapped in for Boccob.

Remove ads