Altered Carbon

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
I'm 3.5 episodes in. My binge-watching needs work.

It's good. It captures the spirit of the book, even as it scrambles some of the particulars. The gratuitous, umm, gratuities are all thematically appropriate. I want the world of the books to be equal parts beautiful, lurid, and infuriating. That's how it's supposed to work.

Poe is fantastic, Ortega and her family (especially the dead abuella) are great. Ditto the Bancroft's The lead is... well, I'm not sold on him so far. Right now I wish the actor playing his original sleeve had the main role.

My biggest problem is the way they folded Kovacs's original Envoy trainer Virginia Vidaura into Quellcrist Falconer.

Kovacs was the tool created by the system responsible for their crapsack future. Quellcrist Falconer represented another magisteria entirely: a poet and political activist whose power was separate from the dominant economic & technological regimes. Blurring that works against the show's theme, even though it can be justified from a narrative-streamlining perspective.
Yeah, the main actors lacks charisma. "But those abs, right?" Said some producer.

Ryujin

Legend
Yeah, the main actors lacks charisma. "But those abs, right?" Said some producer.

When you get into a setting with body swapping tech, you run into an issue; for it to be believable you need Ubermenchen who can act. Barring that you need to choose whether you're going to cast people who can act or Adonises/Helens who can't act, as those who can do both are a true rarity. When faced with a similar dilemma, when casting "Jack Reacher", the studio just said screw it, cast Tom Cruise, and tried to make him as scary as a cross between Frankenstein's Monster and a top grade Spec-Op.

MarkB

Legend
When you get into a setting with body swapping tech, you run into an issue; for it to be believable you need Ubermenchen who can act. Barring that you need to choose whether you're going to cast people who can act or Adonises/Helens who can't act, as those who can do both are a true rarity. When faced with a similar dilemma, when casting "Jack Reacher", the studio just said screw it, cast Tom Cruise, and tried to make him as scary as a cross between Frankenstein's Monster and a top grade Spec-Op.

I liked both players of the main character, but this setting does provide some unique problems and opportunities when it comes to casting. I wonder how they'll handle that if/when it goes to a second season.

Ryujin

Legend
I liked both players of the main character, but this setting does provide some unique problems and opportunities when it comes to casting. I wonder how they'll handle that if/when it goes to a second season.

I recall seeing the "old sleeve" in many shows that I've enjoyed and, while I can't recall seeing the "new sleeve" in anything, I think that he did a good enough job. Makes me wonder what they would do for a "NEW-new sleeve."

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
The sleeve usage is going to be a problem if the story gets the change to move into the later novels, as Kinnaman can't be a part of it anymore if they stay true to the books.

CapnZapp

Legend
When you get into a setting with body swapping tech, you run into an issue; for it to be believable you need Ubermenchen who can act.
And that's when you guys usually turn to Sweden.

You're welcome

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app

CapnZapp

Legend
By recasting the main role?

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app

Just finished it up and I thought it was good. I've never read the books nor heard of them till now.

My first impressions were amazing world building with the different languages being spoken and the Bladerunner vibes it gave were nicely done, and my first thought when they started talking about sleeves was Ghost in the Shell.

I also spotted an actor I enjoyed watching on another show, Michael Eklund who plays Bobo Del Ray on Wyonna Earp, he was Dimi 2.

Ryujin

Legend
And that's when you guys usually turn to Sweden.

You're welcome

... for the Ubermenchen who can or can't act? ;)

No wonder I didn't recognize the lead. Seems that the only thing that he's been in that I might have seen was the RoboCop remake and I swore off remakes several years ago.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
... for the Ubermenchen who can or can't act? ;)

No wonder I didn't recognize the lead. Seems that the only thing that he's been in that I might have seen was the RoboCop remake and I swore off remakes several years ago.

He’s also in House of Cards as the guy running against Kevin Spacey.

Remove ads