D&D 5E At my table: Hexblade removed, Pact of the Blade enhanced

LapBandit

First Post
Side note: With this change, Pact of the Blade can take Thirsting Blade at Level 5 to get his second attack, then trade it out at Level 6 since they do not stack. Not sure if you wanted to do anything with Thirsting Blade.

Thanks for catching this, the Thirsting Blade invocation was removed when I essentially added it for free to the pact at level 6, forgot to mention.

Zmajdusa

First Post
is this due to the fact that warlocks get 2 spell slots, because if you need spell slots to defend yourself as a warlock, you are screwed.

LapBandit

First Post
You've created a pact that every Warlock should take.

I would rather have 19AC than 14AC and a familiar.

Pact of the Chain is really mechanically weak I agree. Pact of the Tome is not. You also have to have the DEX and equipment to get that 19 AC, but your point is taken. This could be in danger of the Bladesinger "sing in the back and still have 20AC" issue. I will think on that.

Ganymede81

First Post
The only ability that a Hexblade has that pertains to weapons is the cha to hit/dmg (and martial weapon proficiency). Everything else doesn't care about it. The best pact for a Hexblade is probably Tome though Chain is fine too.

Patron is a bigger cost than Pact.

In any case, we're talking about not allowing Hexblade but giving the pact of the blade medium armour and shields. This is just as problematic.

If a pact provides medium armour and shields then it is the most powerful pact regardless of whatever else it provides.

It is objectively less problematic than a regular hexblade.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I've removed Hexblade from the list of possible Warlock patrons at my table.

I've enhanced Pact of the Blade as follows:

At 3rd level, when you choose Pact of the Blade, you gain proficiency in medium armor, shields, and all weapons.
At 6th level, you gain the Extra Attack feature.

I feel like those two changes are all a melee warlock needs. The Charisma to hit and damage replacement of the Hexblade at level 1 along with the curse and all the proficiencies seems like overcompensation for a crappy original Pact of the Blade in the PHB.

Eh, I'd rather play a Hex Tome lock than this, or just multiclass rogue/feytomelock.

I don't think a melee warlock needs medium armor all that much. I'd rather fix the damage scaling by allowing Eldritch Blast to be used as a melee weapon attack by BLade-locks, benefitting from all EB Invocations that are applicable, with flavor as "you summon a blade, and you can use it to cast Eldritch Blast as a melee attack. When you do, the spell counts as a melee weapon attack and a melee spell attack. When you gain extra blasts, you choose how to use each blast individually.

Bam. The Bladelock no longer needs a bunch of "make the math work" invocation taxes, and you can do more interesting things with Blade Pact Invocations.

If you want medium armor on your melee lock, let that be an invocation.

Iry

Hero
ad_hoc said:
If a pact provides medium armour and shields then it is the most powerful pact regardless of whatever else it provides.
While D&D is definitely heavy on the wargame side of things, some people are more interested in the Exploration and Social pillars of the game.

Hexblade was tempting because of the Cha to Hit and Damage, allowing a player to benefit in both social and combat pillars. Armor and Shields are certainly nice, but they don't benefit the other two pillars very much.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
Pact of the Chain is really mechanically weak I agree. Pact of the Tome is not. You also have to have the DEX and equipment to get that 19 AC, but your point is taken. This could be in danger of the Bladesinger "sing in the back and still have 20AC" issue. I will think on that.

Tome is also weak.

All of the pacts are weak. And that's fine. The pacts are a minor fun thing that Warlocks get. Except yours.

1) If you don't have the Dex to have that AC then you also will have lower AC without the armour. It's still a difference of 5 AC.
2) The cost of buying the equipment is only relevant for a couple levels.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
The only way you can get in an extra attack in there without the invocation is with a patron. It's too strong for a pact as well.

Perhaps the easiest thing to do then would be to strip Hexblade of their Curse and replace the 6th level ability with extra attack.

You could give them some decent spell options too.

Remove ads