• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

BattleStar Galactica:Season 3.5--3/25/07--Arc 20 (Season Conclusion)

Volaran

First Post
Eric Anondson said:
Myself, I stopped listening to the podcasts midway through the first season and I haven't gone back since. But the blog post I linked to does articulate quite a bit of what didn't work for me though.

The podcasts didn't start until after the half-way point of the first season, but I catch the meaning ;)

The blog certainly articulates the point well enough, even though the perspective is quite different from my own. As I said, I'm not going to try and convince anyone who has been put off by the show to like it. All I can do is go on about why it appeals to me personally.

Science fiction programming has come a long way recently in general, and thankfully anyone leaving BSG can probably find something they'll enjoy. About a year ago, I re-watched DS9, revolutionary among the Star Trek series for its lengthy plot lines at the time, and still my favourite of the Trek series. Yet, I can't help but notice how many truely filler episodes were present in a 26 episode season. Perhaps because of that, even with same people involved, even the less stellar episodes of BSG that still deal with fleet issues (Black Market, The Woman King) still don't stick in my craw.

If we suddenly have a magically micro-sized Raptor sneaking aboard a basestar, then I'll truely worry. It is amazing how the things we can find fault with change with varying experience and context.

Still, I do worry slightly about the twenty-two episode season. Pleased as I am with the show as a whole, the first season was the most 'tight'. If there are still two story arcs or chapters left, as Ron Moore has indicated, I would not mind seeing each wrapped up in a half-season next year. Even though I enjoy the show, nothing good lasts forever.

Villano

First Post
The last few episodes didn't do anything for me. It reminded me of my experience with certain comics. I collected the Hulk and Spider-Man titles since I was a kid. At a certain point (just before the Spider-Clone Saga and Heroes Reborn), I began to realize that I was just reading them out of habit. Eventually, I dropped them. I almost skipped the finale on BSG, but I'm glad I didn't, as the 2nd half of it restored interest in me.

I think the question of whether or not Tigh and the others are Cylons depends on the whole "Beings of Light". Are they God-like entites as in the original series, or are they just the mysterious Cylons? It really hinges on Starbuck. We saw her "die". It's not like she just vanished and we didn't know what happened to her. In order for her to return, you are left with two options: 1.) She was a Cylon and was reborn (which makes you wonder why the Cylon doctor couldn't tell that she wasn't human), or 2.) she was saved by the Beings of Light (like Apollo was during the original series).

Okay, there is a 3rd option: That's not Starbuck and it's all a trick. :uhoh:

Personally, I don't think the others are Cylons. I might buy it if it wasn't for Tigh. He had a life prior to the 1st Clyon War. According to Wikipedia, Tigh's father and grandfather (both named Saul) were both known and, in fact, his grandfather was a Presidential Advisor. He just has too much of a know history for it to work for me.

Last edited:

Sir Brennen

Legend
Villano said:
Personally, I don't think the others are Cylons. I might buy it if it wasn't for Tigh. He had a life prior to the 1st Clyon War. According to Wikipedia, Tigh's father and grandfather (both named Saul) were both known and, in fact, his grandfather was a Presidential Advisor. He just has too much of a know history for it to work for me.
Well, Ron Moore has confirmed in interviews that the four are cylons, though fundamentally different ones. Again, going back to the cyclical nature of the BSG universe, Saul may come from a long line of cylons going back to the previous cycle.

The Grumpy Celt

Banned
Banned
Sir Brennen said:
Well, Ron Moore has confirmed in interviews that the four are cylons...

He also said Kara Thrace was dead.

Between the possibility of this being deliberate misdirection and the producers and writers changing their minds between now and when they film the first few episodes, I am going to reserve judgment on this.

DonTadow

First Post
From the sound of things, It sounds like the podcasts may not be 100 percent truth. I am glad i dont list to them, it sounds like it would ruin it for me.

Pyrex

First Post
Steel_Wind said:
... the four revealed Cylons are most definitely "full" cylons... Fundamentally, the viewer is left with a choice:

Is it Starbuck or is it Baltar?

For the love of all that is human I very much hope the answer is 'Neither'. There are too many Cylons on Galactica already (Unless I'm confused, all 11 revealed models of human-form cylons have been aboard the Galactica at one time or another).

Lee's speech on the stand rocked though.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Pyrex said:
For the love of all that is human I very much hope the answer is 'Neither'. There are too many Cylons on Galactica already (Unless I'm confused, all 11 revealed models of human-form cylons have been aboard the Galactica at one time or another).

Lee's speech on the stand rocked though.

I think it's neither. It was implied in one interview that the upcoming Pegasus series or Caprica series might deal with the last hidden cylon.

Sir Brennen

Legend
Mistwell said:
I think it's neither. It was implied in one interview that the upcoming Pegasus series or Caprica series might deal with the last hidden cylon.
Hmmm... given that the four new cylons have a history of toaster-fighting and resistance, wouldn't it be awesome of Admiral Caine where the 12th cylon? :eek:

Joker

First Post
Kobold Avenger said:
If the music did come from radio waves, then it's likely it took a 1000 years to get there to the Ionian Nebula...

Now if Tigh's a cylon, then he's a self-destructive alcoholic robot.

Let's call him Bender from now on.

Remove ads