D&D (2024) Brawler is out. What subclass should replace it?

What should he the 4th fighter subclass?

• Arcane Archer

Votes: 10 9.1%
  • Cavalier

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • Echo Knight

Votes: 13 11.8%
  • Psi Warrior

Votes: 19 17.3%
  • Purple Dragon Knight

Votes: 8 7.3%
  • Rune Knight

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • Samurai

Votes: 9 8.2%
  • Other

Votes: 10 9.1%

Clint_L

Hero
The pdk is a subclass that the game definitely needs but it would take a lot of reworking. I think that that is why the class is ranked so poorly, not because people don't want it but because we realized that they couldn't make it in time for the phb release.
I think it's both. The sub-class is poorly realized, but its name is also really stupid. No one plays D&D eager to create a "purple dragon knight." I mean, I'm a bit contrary so I might make one just because it's such an oddly specific, silly sub-class name, but I'm probably an outlier.

Clint_L

Hero
Side note: one of my players is currently playing as an Echo Knight and...yeah, that sub-class is ridiculously good. Arguably more broken than Twilight Clerics. Probably the most potent in the game, once players start figuring out all the implications of the echo ability, which my player is starting to do.

WanderingMystic

Adventurer
I think it's both. The sub-class is poorly realized, but its name is also really stupid. No one plays D&D eager to create a "purple dragon knight." I mean, I'm a bit contrary so I might make one just because it's such an oddly specific, silly sub-class name, but I'm probably an outlier.
Yeah when I first read the name when the book came out I was expecting more of the cavalier. I know back in 3rd ed I had a character that was a purple dragon knight but God that was so long ago I can't remember what the prestige class was like so I don't even remember if the whole inspiring others aspect was in that.

mellored

Legend
Yeah when I first read the name when the book came out I was expecting more of the cavalier. I know back in 3rd ed I had a character that was a purple dragon knight but God that was so long ago I can't remember what the prestige class was like so I don't even remember if the whole inspiring others aspect was in that.
It had..
Heroic shield, rallying cry
Inspire courage 1/day
Fear
Inspire courage 2/day, oath of wrath
Final stand

So mostly about inspiring others.

MuhVerisimilitude

Adventurer
Side note: one of my players is currently playing as an Echo Knight and...yeah, that sub-class is ridiculously good. Arguably more broken than Twilight Clerics. Probably the most potent in the game, once players start figuring out all the implications of the echo ability, which my player is starting to do.
It is highly GM dependent, and I say that from experience.

For example whether or not the echo can "fly" is not something all GMs will agree on.

ECMO3

Hero
Battlemaster, Champion, and Eldritch Knight are good to go, but the Brawler is getting cut.

What should he the 4th fighter subclass?
This is a loaded question.

Since 5E and ONE are compatible, subclasses that are not reprinted still exist and can be played. In this respect if you like a subclass you would presumably be against them reprinting it and potentially screwing it up.

I put Arcane Archer in this catagory. It is one of my favorite Fighter subclasses, and IMOP completely different from Eldritch Knight. However, if they reprint it I am sure they are going to change grasping arrow so it is not automatic with no save. As a result I actually don't want them to republish that subclass.

CapnZapp

Legend
Since 5E and ONE are compatible, subclasses that are not reprinted still exist and can be played.
I fully expect the new naughty word being plain better than the old naughty word, so this is how WotC gets to have the cake ("see? totally compatible!") while still eating it (=everybody rushing out to buy the new books).

Remove ads