D&D (2024) Brawler is out. What subclass should replace it?

What should he the 4th fighter subclass?

• Arcane Archer

Votes: 10 9.1%
  • Cavalier

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • Echo Knight

Votes: 13 11.8%
  • Psi Warrior

Votes: 19 17.3%
  • Purple Dragon Knight

Votes: 8 7.3%
  • Rune Knight

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • Samurai

Votes: 9 8.2%
  • Other

Votes: 10 9.1%

Kurotowa

Legend
No. Echo Knight is probably the most poorly written official D&D 5e subclass. It's very strong mechanically, but it is worded confusingly and caused a lot of weird questions when it was released (is the echo an object or creature? Is it affected by gravity? Etc).
I played one, and I can definitely confirm. I had to have multiple conversations with my DM about how this or that game element should work with the echo. Can it take the Stealth action? Can it physically interact with objects outside of attacking them? It was fun to play, but simple or clearly written it is not.

It very much feels like homebrew material where the DM who created it knows what they intended it to be, so the words on paper don't have to pin down all those variables and corner cases. Which is honestly why I usually stick to first party material. Creating player options that both fully interlock with existing game mechanics and are clearly explained on the page is not a simple skill set, nor is originality or creative flair a proper substitute.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
No. Echo Knight is probably the most poorly written official D&D 5e subclass. It's very strong mechanically, but it is worded confusingly and caused a lot of weird questions when it was released (is the echo an object or creature? Is it affected by gravity? Etc).
It literally needs a paragraph at most of revision, and that only because some folks can’t stand a player options where some of the answers are, “do what feels right or makes sense, guided by the DM”.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Both of the ones that I think deserve it the most have been voted poorly in this poll. I think it's because of their names (and to a lesser extent, their mechanics): 1) The Purple Dragon Knight. The name is WAY too specific (Banneret is not great either). It doesn't quite do what people want out of a "Warlord" either. Still, I think a new attempt at the Tactician archetype is more than welcome. The best name for it is probably The Marshal. YMMV.

My other favorite is the Samurai. OBVIOUSLY far too on-the-nose name-wise. But again, the disciplined, studious warrior is a great archetype, and the mechanic of giving yourself THP and Advantage is not bad (though it needs a little... more).

WanderingMystic

Adventurer
Both of the ones that I think deserve it the most have been voted poorly in this poll. I think it's because of their names (and to a lesser extent, their mechanics): 1) The Purple Dragon Knight. The name is WAY too specific (Banneret is not great either). It doesn't quite do what people want out of a "Warlord" either. Still, I think a new attempt at the Tactician archetype is more than welcome. The best name for it is probably The Marshal. YMMV.

My other favorite is the Samurai. OBVIOUSLY far too on-the-nose name-wise. But again, the disciplined, studious warrior is a great archetype, and the mechanic of giving yourself THP and Advantage is not bad (though it needs a little... more).
The pdk is a subclass that the game definitely needs but it would take a lot of reworking. I think that that is why the class is ranked so poorly, not because people don't want it but because we realized that they couldn't make it in time for the phb release.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter

You know I approve of this choice.
Still, very fun to play!

Horwath

Legend
Samurai is good mechanically, but it's as boring(interesting) as Champion, a one trick pony.

take elf(any), Elven accuracy, Sharpshooter(current with -5/+10), + whatever get's your Dex to 20.
Use fighting spirit+action surge.
That is it, the whole class.

Don't care about the Samurai, rather be the Ronin who's taken the Battlemaster Subclass and can do a variety of other interesting things.

I liked the Arcane Archer, but it needs some work in that their arrows feel magical more than twice per short rest at an earlier level.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
I'm surprised at how divided the opinions are in this poll.

As of now, 38/102 (37%) votes are for the top two -- rune knight/psi warrior. Those are the two given in Tasha's, and we know Tasha options are coming for Druid and Sorcerer (and Ranger, with the adjusted Beast Master).

The fact that these two, as most likely, don't crack 50% is surprising (though I guess the question asked in the OP asks for preference, rather than what people think is likely).

In any case, a strong case can be made for both of these as PHB subclasses.

Remove ads