Burnt Offerings

While the others dart south and down through town to get to the docks, Rainier sets off toward the burning table at a rapid jog. The clean-pated human warrior reaches the merchant's stall just as the remainder of the thing goes up in flame, leaving a frustrated Sheriff Hemlock holding an empty wooden bucket dripping with water. Mayor Deverin, blanching white, stands to the side and rubs at her careworn temples. "Utter disaster. Sheriff, call up the--" Bayliss Hemlock finishes the mayor's sentence for her. "--militia. On it." Spying Rainier, Sheriff Hemlock grunts in recognition and stops mid-stride while Mayor Deverin briskly crosses the square and heads south, probably toward her office near the town's jail. Sheriff Hemlock address Rainier and, eyeing Rainier's greatsword, grunts a second time. "Rainier Scarnetti. I'm to the jailhouse, to put out the Call. But the docks area will be wanting controlling ere I can get there with my men. If you'll head that way, no doubt you'll find more goblin heads to set arolling. Marshal whatever townsfolk you can down at the docks and see if you can't get them weapons from Savah's or from the Red Dog." Despite his firm demeanor, the Sheriff's dark skin and trace of an accent serve as reminder of his Shoanti heritage and mark him as partial outsider to Sandpoint.

Insight

Adventurer
"Accursed goblins," Gron mutters as he reaches the docks. "Let's hope they're trapped on the docks. Need to cut 'em off here, before they leak into the town."

Gron looks for a good vantage point, and readies his bow for a clear shot.

[sblock]Try to get within range of the goblins without being seen. Gron will take a shot at the closest goblin when possible. I'd like to get Gron behind cover if possible. If Gron can get within 30ft (Point Blank Shot), that'd be great.[/sblock]

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
CanadienneBacon said:
Sheriff Hemlock address Rainier and, eyeing Rainier's greatsword, grunts a second time. "Rainier Scarnetti. I'm to the jailhouse, to put out the Call. But the docks area will be wanting controlling ere I can get there with my men. If you'll head that way, no doubt you'll find more goblin heads to set arolling. Marshal whatever townsfolk you can down at the docks and see if you can't get them weapons from Savah's or from the Red Dog." Despite his firm demeanor, the Sheriff's dark skin and trace of an accent serve as reminder of his Shoanti heritage and mark him as partial outsider to Sandpoint.
Rainier thinks a moment and nods, glancing at the others as they race off toward the docks.

"I will wash my boots in goblin blood. The docks will remain under control until your forces arrive."

He pivots and races toward the docks, keeping an eye out for anyone who looks like a likely candidate to press into service.

Kaodi

Hero
Phythas examines the tactical layout of the area, listening carefully for approaching goblins.

Pulling out his exotic looking hooked hammer, he says to Gron and Ravi, grimacing, " I'll try to hold them back while you two attack from a distance. "

Turning to Penn, he asks, " You got my back, Penn? "

Rainier will also have two rounds' worth of preparatory actions. If you all could please edit or--for those of you who haven't posted yet--post a condensed, specific statement as to how you want to spend your two rounds, that would be grand. I'm specifically looking to know whether anyone's being healed, if any preparatory spells are being cast, did you want (as Gron stated) to Hide, etc, etc..

Blind Azathoth

Explorer
Ravi nods at Phythas' words, but then moves forward to kneel beside the gnome. "W-w-w-we should probably take c-c-care of this," he says, and puts a hand on Phythas' bloodied torso, "before the goblins come." He mutters a few words, and Phythas' grievous wound begins to heal over.

When Rainier arrives, Ravi lays his hand on the man's arm and, with another few mumbled words and a small scrap of paper inscribed with runes in one hand, channels his holy power into Rainier, mystically enhancing his defense.

And, finally, crossbow still in hand, the acolyte takes a page out of Gron's book and tries to find a good point from which to fire upon the goblins--preferably one with cover.

[sblock]Dropping Endure Elements to cast Cure Light Wounds (1d8+3 with Augment Healing) on Phythas; casting Shield of Faith for a +2 deflection bonus on Rainier, assuming he joins the group in time, as he has the lowest AC of the melee combatants; and heading for a place he can shoot from, preferably with something he can duck behind. It doesn't need to be within 30', though, since he lacks Point Blank Shot.[/sblock]

Ravi chases after Gron, Phythas, and Penn. When the human acolyte finally catches up the shorter-legged gnome and the quartet has a chance to stop, Ravi nods at Phythas' wounds "W-w-w-we should probably take c-c-care of this," the acolyte says, and puts a hand on Phythas' bloodied torso, "before the goblins come." Mutting a quietly intoned prayer, Ravi lays a gentle hand over Phythas's wound. The flesh becomes itchy as slashed open muscle knits together anew. When Ravi removes his hand a moment later, he has healed Phythas for 9 points and the grievous injury done by the goblin's dogslicer looks much better.

Spying Rainier trekking stalwartly down the byway after the group, Ravi pauses and waits for the younger Scarnetti to approach. When Rainier arrives, Ravi lays his hand on the man's arm and, with another few mumbled words of prayer and a small scrap of paper inscribed with runes in one hand, channels his holy power into Rainier, mystically enhancing the man's defenses.
[sblock=Rainier]Rainier lacks the ranks in spellcraft to recognize Ravi's spellcasting, but out-of-context, Ravi just cast shield of faith on Rainier.[/sblock]
Brandishing his pint-sized rapier with a flick in the air, Penn grins and nods at Phythas. "Have I got your back? Have I ever!"

The briny smell of the sea draws thicker about the group as they trek south and down, now five in number. Sandpoint's upper tier soon enough cants sharply down, giving way to the town's dock area. While the area surrounding the North Gate and the cathedral atop the cliffs on Sandpoint's higher ground has wide streets that overlook the open sea, the lower wards are set closer together and the byways become labrynthine. Passing by the Sandpoint Playhouse on Festival Street, Rainier barks at a knot of five half-drunk porters standing outside the theater. The men, most of them young and all of them local, seem eager to join the action and readily follow after Rainier. One of the porters proves invaluable and helps lead the group quickly south toward the docks by way of an alley that proves to be a handy shortcut, and a tactical boon to boot.

The alley dumps out onto Sandpoint Market. Just ahead, in the open space normally occupied by comestibles merchant stalls on market days, a grandstand has been erected in honor of the Swallowtail Festival. A yellow dog and a teenage boy lie dead in the street and a pair of goblins stand over their trophies, cackling feverishly with grim delight. One of the goblins paws at the dog's hide, its claws raking the dog's stomach and leaving scratched indentations. With the porter's astute help, Gron finds a stack of lettuce crates to hide on top of. The height affords Gron a better view of the market and some cover.

+1 to attack for Gron. Please add that in to any attack rolls that you call for.

Another group of three goblins has found the cart full of fuel for tonight's bonfire in the middle of the grandstand arena and have lit the stack of wood on fire. The three goblins shriek and howl, two of them capering madly in a circle 'round the inferno with torches and dogslicers in hand whilst the third, a whip in its hand, stands off to the side and incites the pair with song to even wilder heights. At the group's approach, one of the two goblins ringing the dead dog leaves off pawing at its prize and looks up to sniff the air.
[sblock=Gron, Phythas]The goblin by the dead dog looks to the fifth goblin over by the bonfire. "Company." [/sblock]
[sblock=Gron]That third goblin, the one who is singing, is a warchanter. That's no idle song the warchanter is singing. It's a pseudo-bardic ability whose purpose is to drive the goblin fighters to barbaric fury during battle.[/sblock]

The grandstand area is 75 feet wide and 120 feet long. The bonfire has a 10 foot radius at its base and tapers to a height of 15 feet. The bonfire is lit and is at the center of the grandstand area. Gron is on top of a stack of lettuce crates in an alley that dumps out directly in the middle of the square's 120-foot-long side. The alley is 5 feet wide--singlefile standing room only. The bonfire is roughly 40 feet from the lettuce crates in the alley. Goblins 3 and 4 caper around the bonfire and are 40 feet from the lettuce crates. Goblin 5 (the singing goblin with the whip) is 10 feet from Goblins 3 and 4, or 50 feet from Gron. The dead dog is 20 feet to the right of the bonfire. Goblins 1 and 2 are therefore 20 feet from Gron.

Initiative:
Phythas 20
Goblins 1-4, 17
Penn 15
Ravi 10
Goblin 5, 6
Rainier 3
Gron 2
Porters 1

[sblock=Die Rolls]Ravi, cure light wounds, 1d8+3 (die roll = 6)
Rainier, Diplomacy 22 (die roll = 18)
Gron, Sense Motive 22 (die roll = 19)[/sblock]

Insight

Adventurer
"Sikoo nahlik sikal,"* Gron says, drawing an arrow to his ear.

Gron will target the singer.

* "This will silence your song", from the Goblin.

Remove ads