Burnt Offerings

Kaodi

Hero
Growling, Phythas yells at Rainer, " Fight your own damn battles, human, instead of trying to fight mine! "

Slipping on his shield, he steps toward the wagon and attacks the second goblin, wincing once at the pain in his stomach.

[sblock=Phythas Round 2]Move action to ready shield which doesn't provoke, 5 ft. step and attack. Also, remember that I get +4 to attack goblinoids instead of +3 because I'm a gnome.[/sblock]

"Hmmm, that guy with the big sword seems to be stealing the show," Penn thinks to himself.

"I had better do something before he finishes all the Goblins off!"

Penn moves up to the last remaining Goblin and takes a swipe at him with his rapier.

[sblock]I know the Goblin is on top of the wagon. I'll climb/jump up to attack him if he is out of reach of my rapier.

Small Rapier, +0 Attack, 1d4 damage, 18-20(x2) critical[/sblock]

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Ignoring the yapping creature near his knees, Rainier climbs up onto the driver's seat of the wagon, intent on finishing off the last of the creatures that dared to interrupt this ceremony.

Blind Azathoth

Explorer
Ravi quickly draws a bolt from the pouch on the side of his backpack and reloads his crossbow. He gives another quick mental prayer as he takes careful aim at the goblin, shifting a little if he must to get a clear shot. Please, please, don't let me miss, he thinks, before pulling the trigger and loosing the bolt--only then realizing that the others have also crowded around the goblin. He quickly amends his prayer: And if I do miss, please don't hit one of the others.

[sblock]Reload the crossbow, then attack: +1 to hit, 1d8 damage, 19-20/x2 crit, 80' range. If he must, he uses a 5' step to get a clearer shot; if that wouldn't help him after he reloads, then he foregoes his attack and simply moves as close as he can to the fight. If, as is very likely, the goblin is already dead by the time Ravi's turn rolls around, would you permit me to write a new action for Ravi?[/sblock]

Growling, Phythas yells at Rainer, "Fight your own damn battles, human, instead of trying to fight mine!" Slipping on his shield, the gnome steps toward and climbs up the short stature of the wagon in time to attack the second goblin, wincing once at the pain in his stomach. Once on top of the wagon, Phythas stabs the goblin once in the gut. The wound proves good for 3 points of damage, leaving the goblin to finger its blood and look up in shocked, sad disbelief at Phythas.

Watching Rainier at work, Penn silently muses, "Hmmm, that guy with the big sword seems to be stealing the show. I had better do something before he finishes all the goblins off!" Climbing on top of the low wagon, Penn takes up position to the rear of the goblin--the better to flank the beast. Penn ripostes and lunges but narrowly misses impaling the goblin with the tip of his rapier.

The goblin, recovering from its initial surprise and finding itself flanked by a hobbit and a gnome, snarls in fear. The beast picks up the end the rope attached to the canvas lying atop the wagon and moves to flay Phythas with it, but both Penn and Phythas prove the quicker. Phythas slashes with his doglicer a second time just as Penn lunges in with his rapier. While Penn manages to scratch the goblin's leathers with his rapier, Phythas misses badly as the wagon lurches under the combined weight of the three creatures. The goblin, having lost all of its former fancy while attempting to catch and eat doves, hisses and vigorously lashes at Phythas with the length of rope in its clawed hand. The rope acts like a whip but the goblin is obviously unaccustomed to the impromptu weapon and misses Phythas.

From behind cover, Gron lets out a breath and releases a new arrow from the string of his longbow. As the goblin is engaged in the to and fro of battle atop the wagon with what appear to be a halfling and a gnome, Gron has difficulty placing his aim and the arrow misses but falls intact and recoverable near this side of the wagon's rear wheel.

Ignoring the yapping gnome near his knees, Rainier climbs up onto the driver's seat of the wagon, intent on finishing off the last of the creatures that dared to interrupt the ceremony. From the driver's seat, Rainier pushes past Penn and swings at the goblin but misses as the wagon tilts backward and groans under the weight of the new addition.

When three assailants miss in rapid succession, the goblin lets out a yawp of a trill and an excited look of daring bravado lights up the creature's ungainly visage. Fairly well dancing a jig, the goblin turns its back to Phythas and taunts Rainier and Penn, pantomiming their poor combat prowess. From across the church square, however, the goblin's bane quickly draws a bolt from the pouch on the side of his backpack and reloads his crossbow. Giving another quick mental prayer as he takes careful aim at the wretched goblin, Ravi shifts slightly to get a clear shot. Please, please, don't let me miss, the priest prays, then pulls the trigger and looses the bolt. The bolt streaks with unerring aim across the open air of the church square and lands with a wet squelch in the goblin's temple. Fully burying itself dead on inside the goblin's brain, Ravi's shot deals 14 points to the already injured beast and instantly kills the creature.

The last goblin, dead at the hands of the cathedral's acolyte, falls like a limp rag onto the cobblestoned church square. By now, nearly all the crowd has fled on foot, leaving only a shocked Mayor Deverin, the grim-faced Sheriff Hemlock, and Ameiko Kaijitsu to stand in wonder, gazing at Penn, Rainier, Phythas, and Gron. Sheriff Hemlock frowns and moves to cross the square to the wagon. Ameiko is the first to slowly turn toward the cathedral and stare at Ravi. Elsewhere in the town, shrieks of human echo and the horrid high-pitched goblin chant echoes from somewhere in the town's lower tier closer to the docks. One of the merchant's tables nearer the north gate bursts into flame, prompting Sheriff Hemlock to break off his approach of the wagon in favor of breaking into a run alongside the Mayor toward the burning table.

Ameiko draws a silvered dagger from a sheath at her hip and warily crosses from her buffet table to the wagon where Rainier, Penn, and Phythas stand. "Scarnetti." Ameiko nods her head once at Rainier. To Phythas, the barkeep extends a hand up. "You took a bear of a slice there. Here, have a step down and we'll take a look at that, if you're willing."

End of initiative, for the moment. Post at will, please.

[sblock=Die Rolls]Phythas, dogslicer AC 18, 1d4+1 dmg (die rolls = 14, 2)
Penn, rapier AC 14, (die roll = 12)
Phythas, dogslicer AoO AC 8 (die roll = 2)
Penn, rapier AoO AC 14 (die roll = 12)
Gron, longbow AC 11 (die roll = 10)
Rainier, greatsword AC I-can't-believe-he-missed-but-he-did (die roll = 2)
Ravi, light crossbow, AC 20, confirmed critical AC 17, 2d8 dmg (die roll = 19, 16, 6, 8)[/sblock]

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Rainier wipes off his blade with a scrap of fabric worn by the goblin, then tosses it back to the corpse.

"More to do," he says, nodding first toward the burning table, and then toward the docks. "Follow or don't."

He sets off toward the burning table at a rapid jog.

Insight

Adventurer
Gron rises from his crouch, surveying the battlefield. Seeing no goblins, Gron emerges from cover, watching his erstwhile allies finish off the goblins.

Canadienne Bacon said:
Elsewhere in the town, shrieks of human echo and the horrid high-pitched goblin chant echoes from somewhere in the town's lower tier closer to the docks.
As Gron is about to set off for the docks...
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
Rainier wipes off his blade with a scrap of fabric worn by the goblin, then tosses it back to the corpse.

"More to do," he says, nodding first toward the burning table, and then toward the docks. "Follow or don't."

He sets off toward the burning table at a rapid jog.

Gron wordlessly follows Ranier to the docks.

Kaodi

Hero
Slipping his dogslicer back into its place, Phythas hops down from the wagon, glancing daggers at Rainer as he heads towards the dock.

Wincing again as he takes a deep breath, he says to the barkeep, " Those sinister fiends do not break for rest, and neither must I, but thank you for your offer. "

Beckoning to Penn, he mutters, " Let's not allow the big folk to think the day belongs to them, " and heads in the direction of the docks.

Mouth still gaping open in surprise and awe at the crossbow shot from the stranger near the cathedral, Penn climbs down from the wagon and follows Phythas.

Blind Azathoth

Explorer
Ravi's crossbow lowers. He stares at the goblin with a bolt in its brain for several seconds, then blinks, and glances around at the few others remaining in the square. Seeing Ameiko staring at him, he simply looks blankly back at her for a few moments, feeling rather shocked himself--until the sound of screams and that horrible goblin song and a burst of flame jar him from his reverie.

Almost instantly, his mind curiously blank, he finds himself running after Rainier, Gron, Phythas, and Penn. As his feet pound the dirt to catch up with the others, he draws another bolt and loads it into his crossbow.

Remove ads