• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Carrion Crown AP (The Deadwatchers) - IC

jackslate45

First Post
Elthos was well traveled, and thought he heard something about both subjects. However, that was nothing compared to the Professor's vast library of information. Knowing that, he joins the rest of the party in searching.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
The library of the late Professor is not overly vast and after a couple hours the group confirms most of what Valanar already knows about The Whispering Way cult. Strangely though the Professor doesn't have much on Harrowstone Prison, but from the looks of it he was trying to learn more.

With tired eyes and at least a few questions answered (and a few more gained) the group heads to bed determined to learn more about Harrowstone in the morning.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Day One

The morning dawns bright and cold as almost all mornings do in Ustalav. Everyone meets down in the dining room for some breakfast joined by Kendra.

"So any big plans for today? I need to talk with Councilman Hearthmount so I will be out most of the afternoon, but will be around tonight."

Cyansylph

First Post
Valanar lays out his plans for the day in between bites. "I plan on heading to town to see if I can learn more of this burnt out prison that your father was investigating. Kendra, do you recall any names that your father may have mentioned in passing during recent days? Is there anyone he turned to as a trusted source or colleague in town?

If you cannot think of anyone, I suppose we could try the local temples, pubs, and arcane stores; such places usually harbour local rumors - some of which may be truer than they would suspect. Would anyone care to accompany me? Some of the locals are clearly not friendly and may react poorly to us snooping about if they mistake our intent as they did with the professor."

Finished with his food, Valanar rises from the table and begins to don his gleaming armor before his trek about town.

[sblock=OOC]Will travel around town with someone and attempt to gather information. Maybe someone can aid me with an Aid Another check or some guidance?
edit: oh snap! another 25! Apparently Abadar is a dice god and loves me!
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Fangor the Fierce

First Post
Bella hopes that Kendra can actually help out a little, with her influence and stature in the town. She calls out to Kendra as she leaves the house, following her outside. "If you have access to the council, then perhaps they would have information on the past of the prison? If you could allow me to accompany you, for at least an introduction, then perhaps they would allow me to see any public documents regarding the prison?"

Bella could not think of anywhere else that the prison would have likely had information regarding it. If allowed, she will attempt to check the public documents. Otherwise, she will find a local library or location that would house the records of the prison, it's inmates, or the grounds it stood on.

ghostcat

First Post
Piedra responds to Valanar's request by saying "Well I may not be much good at asking questions but I'm good at cracking heads. I'll come and watch your back Valanar, if you'll have me."

[sblock=OOC]With a CHR of 8 and no appropriate knowledge skills Piedra is not much use in gathering information. However, he will make an excellent bodyguard.[/sblock]

Shayuri

First Post
Triessa keeps to herself at first, sketching with a delicately wrought silver quill in a large leather-bound book she carries in her pack. Occasionally she sighs and talks to herself under her breath. From how she stares at her drawing, it almost seems like she fancies she's speaking to it.

Then inspiration seizes her all at once, galvanizing her. She quickly dries the ink, stuffs the book and quill away, and nearly flies out of Kendra's house so great is her haste. A few minutes of breathless sprinting brings her to the town constable's office.

The guard! The prison was a place of violence, and it ended violently. The guard must have been involved! Men to police it. Men to police those men when off duty. Men who were there when the prison was ruined.

Triessa hurried in and started looking for an old badger of a guardsman...the sort who had lived long enough to have seen everything, and was stubborn enough to speak of it even if there might be orders not to.

jackslate45

First Post
Elthos had finished eating when Triessa ran out the door. With the rest of the group going with Valanar, he was worried that Triessa would end up by herself.

He did not have his prized scimitar with him, but his dagger hardly leaves his boots hiding spot. As such, he would not be completely unarmed, and instead bolted after the fleeing girl.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
The day does not go by uneventful even if you don't face down a horde of hobgoblins. But perhaps that would have been at least a little easier.

Bella spends most of the day either waiting or in argument with a snotty bureaucrat at the Ravengro Town Hall. She was joined by Valanar and even his usual diplomatic attitude could not sway the man.

Elthos walked along with Triessa as she explained that someone in town new the history of Harrowstone they just needed to find them. They spent a few hours at The Laughing Demon before being directed to an older man named Joseffy Cagliosamo.

The gruff man was eager to talk to a pretty lady. And he seemed to take Triessa's oddities in stride. After a long talk that took most of the afternoon Elthos and Triessa come away with only one piece of information they thought relevant.

"Now and then,"
Joseffy had said warming to his subject. "If you go up to Harrowstone at sundown, you can hear the ghost of the warden's wife wailing and sobbing from somewhere within the ruins. She haunts the prison now, forever mourning her husband and attempting to frighten anyone who intrudes on the prison."

At dinner that evening everyone listens to the retelling of the rumor, and Bella's story about her adventure with the bureaucrat. Kendra smiles "Will you could try the Temple of Pharasma but I heard father say once they where tight fisted with their records also." She looks thoughtful a moment and adds, "The Unfurling Scroll might have something. It is the local schoolhouse and doubles as a magic shop whenever such items can be found."

Updated Locations

ghostcat

First Post
Piedra listens to the others report on their day. He is not much good at diplomacy, so all he can really do is act has a bodyguard. Then it occurs to him that the undead hunters might know something about the haunted prison. Having no better idea he decides to go see if any of his contacts are in town at the moment. "Well I know some of the rangers that scour the wilderness for undead. Maybe they know something about the prison. So unless anyone needs me, I'll go talk to them tomorrow. I need to do some shopping anyway,." he says.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads