• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Castle Greyhawk/Zagyg

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
What do the colors on the undermountain format indicate?

The pale yellow that predominates most of the maps is the "generic" color for rooms and passageways.

The orange rooms are special encounter areas (like major temples) or rooms with an atypical geometry like a hexagon (makes the map "pop" more).

Gray areas are elevated.

Bright yellow denotes an area of special interest. I also used it on Level 7 to demarcate The Bone Road corridors.

Green is a teleportation area.

Blue is water.

On the Level 4 map, I used light gray, red, forest green, blue, white and purple to denote the barracks and training areas of the different named (by color) factions that fight in the Arena.

On the Level 3 map, there are a series of rooms named after colors (Areas 181-188), so I colored those rooms in matching colors.

Oh, and the red arrows on the stairs always point to the top of the stairs.

Thulcondar

First Post
That's probably why I find the idea of using stuff like known facts about Castle Greyhawk (e.g. grodog's research) and then making my own version that incorporates some of those elements more appealing than using a published version.

I couldn't agree more. That's exactly what I'm doing myself. I just happen to be putting my own work out there as a pdf for others to use who might not have the hundreds of hours such a thing takes...

Castle of the Mad Archmage was born out of my need to make a Castle Greyhawk for my own campaign. I just figured others might want to see it, too.

Joe
Greyhawk Grognard

Remove ads