Clutches of Evil - OOC Thread

Nonlethal Force

First Post
Alright, I have a few questions that I am open to player input about.

1. Sorry for not really advancing the game much with that last post, but I jst wanted to make sure I knew what everyone was doing before the party goes its seperate ways. But, as long as we are talking about splitting up for the time being - do you all want to use Sblocks for each group of the party or do you want to just post it out in the open? It matters not to me at all.

Several questions about experience:

2. As a DM I typically hand out a base experience point gain for the whole party (based on encounters/ challenges/ general plot advancement type stuff) and then add to it an individual bonus for excellent RPing, Character development, Loyalty to the game, Resourcefullness of Character - you know, things that go above and beyond the call of duty. What systems of handing out experience work the best? Simply announcing the XP gained in the OOC thread? E-mailing it so it is a little more private? Using an Sblock so that it is still on the forum but hidden? Other ideas? I am completely open to suggestions.

3. When do you want to receive XP? As I hand it out at each encounter/challenge? Only when you are able to level? Only when you get to a place where you can train, re-equip, and it makes sense to level? Other ideas? Again, I am open to suggestions.

Last edited:

jkason

First Post
1. I'd be fine with posting it out in the open. That way it's easier to have someone post "Byntrou catches everyone up on the day's events" or something similarly short, since the other players can read or not as they choose. If someone wants to leave info out, I figure it's easy to say "I tell them everything except about that visit from the man in the hood" or whatever. And in that case, it's probably easier to detail what you're leaving out than to try to detail everything you're keeping in your account, as well.

2. I'm actually new to the PbP games. I'm in several, but none of them have reached a point where the DM has doled out XP. I'd be fine with XP listed in the OOC thread, myself.

3. I think this would depend on how you'd like to handle leveling. I'd say, whether or not it's enough to level, it makes sense to hand out XP whenever the characters are in a situation where you as a DM would consider them capable of leveling given enough XP. If that means they need to have several free weeks, then that's when the XP is handed out. If they only need a free day or two, or they can do it on the road provided there are no encounters, or whatever, do it then.

jason

Nonlethal Force

First Post
Thanks for the input. I will post XP at level ups when it is possible for you to level up. I am not one of those DMs who just lets people level up mid adventure. Well, sometimes I do. If its in a class that you already have I occasionally will. But to level up in a new class/PrC requires training and you can't do that mid-adventure. So I will post level-up opportunities when they are available.

If anyone gets into Item creation of spells that use XP, I'll post the XP more often so that you all know when you are close and how much XP you have to give.

Edit:

On a completely different note, is anyone annoyed by the colors? If you are wondering what I am doing with them, here is my rationale:

Lime: Any Audible Speech from an NPC.

Orange: If the party is plit for some reasons, orange denotes which part of the post should be read by which part of the party.

Medium Turquoise: If one or two people can only see/hear/etc something special, this color is used to denote who can see the special stuff. The reason I use medium turquoise is so that it will be easier to not get the orange use of the name and the blue use confused. Hopefully this will prevent people from missing part of a post.

Make sense? Hollar if I'm doing something that confuses you!

Last edited:

D20Dazza

Explorer
I've been using orange as Bahruul's speech color so I'd like to, if possible, keep it exclusively for his use (makes it easy to scan the posts for anything he has said), if you're keen as on orange then I'll change to something else. ;)

Cheers

Daz

Nonlethal Force

First Post
Well, you can certainly kee orange for Barhuul's speech. It shouldn't really conflict with anything I do - because even if I do use orange it is only for a few names. But if it bugs you, I can try to use a different color.

Remove ads