Clutches of Evil - OOC Thread

D20Dazza

Explorer
Hi guys,

I'm off on a 2 week holiday with the family and probably won't be able to check back in until the 9th of October. Can I be NPC'd please?

Have fun, talk soon

Cheers

Daz

Nonlethal Force

First Post
Consider yourself NPCed until Oct 9. Thanks for letting me know, and have a good visit!

I myself will be away Sept 26-28, so for those days you won't be missing much!

Nonlethal Force

First Post
Barak - You can have Gav sell the gem if you want, but in this world the vast majority of gems that will be found are already "merchant quality" as explained in a previous post. This means that you can go into any typical inn, merchant shop, temple, etc and use a gem as if it were gold pieces. Within reason, of course. Don't try to pay for a meal with a diamond! But the smaller value gems are just like gold pieces, but lighter. Of course, if you want to sell the gem in order to divide the money up into several places on your person - then go ahead and sell. Just wanted you to be aware of this.

Barak

First Post
My only problem with that method is.. How do people without the appraise skill manage? for example, Gav has no idea how much the gem is worth, so how can he use it as currency? Everyone know a gold piece is a gold piece.

Nonlethal Force

First Post
Just like everyone knows that a gold piece is a gold piece, everyone knows that a gem is a gem. As stated earlier, gemstones are commonplace in this world and are mined/cut to be worth a certain value. You see lapis lazuli, you know it has been cut and made to be worth a certain amount.

Essentially, the appraise skill for gemstones is taken as an auto success. You can still appraise magic items/weapons/etc. In complete honesty, the reason I make this rule is because it eliminates "haggling" over gemstone prices, guarantees that the players don't get screwed over, guarantees that the players can't screw over the NPCs, and most importantly it makes money conversion much simpler along with reducing the weight load. It keeps the game from being slowed down whenever people try to convert money to gemstones to lighten their load. And PbP games tend to move slow enough as it is - the last thing we need is to have to insert a post every time someone needs to change money around. That's really why I do it this way in PbP games.

Really, I am just trying to do a favor and simplify this area of the game so that it doesn't interfere with the pace of gameplay.

Nonlethal Force

First Post
Okay, it's been a day since I posted that I was waiting for Barak.

I am NPCing Gav for the next post just to get the game moving again.

Barak, if you don't have any desire to post, please let me know. This game was established to be a one-post per day minimum game to keep the pace up a bit. It isn't fair to the other players to wait on you for a few days and to have you logging in and out during that time but not making game posts. If you are having dificulty making posts, please let me know - much like Daz did a bit ago in requesting to be NPCed until Daz comes back. I don't mind people taking absences and sometimes people need to be away - that's cool. Just let me know if difficulty arises in making posts.

Speaking of being away, Remember that I too am going away starting in about 12 hours. I will be away until Wed afternoon. Please feel free to tralk amongst yourself, set up a plan, etc. Remember that Bahruul is NPCed - so don't ask for too much in response and assume that if the plan is not particularily foolhearty or life-threatening then he will go along with it. When I return on Wednesday we will get this game going full steam ahead, that is a promise. We are nearly through the beginning "setting the stage" part and are closing in on some serious action. Don't lose heart yet!

Last edited:

unleashed

First Post
Byntrou said:
"But what say we give the man a chance, eh? Perhaps the four of us: Pwent, Bahruul, Keryth, and myself, should approach and ask him to sponsor our quest? Surely a local merchant should have a vested interest in eliminating the crime spree which so clearly hurts the local economy? If we succeed, we gain funds without the extra complication. If we fail ..."

Byn gets a wicked glint in his eye.

"If we fail, I was thinking perhaps Bahruul might just be overcome with the frustration of it all. We don't want to go so far as to get the guard called in, but intimidatingly large as my herdmate is, it might just take Pwent and I to restrain him while our wise, priestly companion 'talks sense' into him. The whole thing would likely draw quite a lot of attention for long enough that a careless merchant might ... misplace his purse."

So are we sticking with this plan pretty much as is, with Destiny making the merchant sick on command as required?

jkason

First Post
unleashed said:
So are we sticking with this plan pretty much as is, with Destiny making the merchant sick on command as required?

That's my assumption, unless any characters have new objections / ideas.

I'll get a proper IC post up later today.

jason

Remove ads