Crucible of Faith ~ Chapter 1

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
*Taking out a scrap of licorice root, Quillia draws it across her tongue and hisses Kessa! All those brought here by Shariau's vision suddenly feel a bit more energized, faster even. Then Quillia will draw Heat, her pistol, and aim it at the dark priests.*

"Stop right there! If you move to harm anyone, I will be forced to harm you," Quillia says, bringing Heat up and aiming it at them. Kosji, wait love! I don't want to goad them any more, please! she pleads with her familiar.

[OOC - haste on everyone in the party. Whee! Extra attack per round, +1 to attacks, +1 dodge bonus to AC and Ref saves, all forms of movement increase 30 feet, up to double their normal speed.]

Last edited:

Cannibal_Kender

First Post
Amara will wait, and see what the intentions of the priests are, and how they respond to Quillia's warning.

(OCC: Hold action...if they attack she'll cast dominate person on one of them and move back.)

Keia

I aim to misbehave
Durindal si'Tempus AC: 25 HP: 86

Durindal was tired . . . tired from the long journey . . . tired from the weight of his failure . . . and disappointed that he had spent the entire evening in a tavern (an unusual event) and not one bar fight had broken out - he had thought that there were always fights in taverns, at least the taverns he frequented in his youth . . . 'course those were by the docks.

Jonathan smiles and starts to call a greeting when he seems to notice something, and his eyes widen. "Sir Durindal!" He calls as he dives behind the bar and comes up with a mace, "I think I can use your assistance now!"

"Thank Tempus!" Durindal replied and turned rising to face the black-cloaked newcomers. He unslung the tightly wrapped spiked chain he had named Cutter, spinning the chain with a threatening manner. Others had shouted warning, (the gnome woman with the dragon companion, in fact) so Durindal felt that further comments that might actually stop a fight from occuring would be unnecessary.

OOC: Note: not in the initiative order (initiative +8) base. Location: At the table right next to tarnK. Actions: rise from sitting, draw weapon (Intimidate +10 Base, if possible). Combat reflexes (5 AoO) to attack within ten feet if either provoke (Spiked Chain +16 [+12 Melee, +1 Weapon focus, +2 Enhancement +1 Haste] 2d4 +14 piercing damage [+5 Str x 2, +2 Specialization, +2 enhancement] crit 19-20 x2). AC is Haste adjusted.

Ghostknight

First Post
Seeing the others spring into action Shariau thinks

An opportunity to prove myself and hopefully gain their trust!

Ili'koa, help our friends!

So saying he jumps to his feet (He would have been sitting with his back to the hearth in the middle of the table), turns and points to TarnK and shouts

Be Stilled in the name of Shaundalkur!

ooc Casts Hold person on Kyln, DC 19

Ili'koa, hearing SHariau's shout dances into action- gracefully bringing his sword up as he moves to strike at Kyln. Snarling he moves in, bringing his sword in to strike at Kyln, then moves out of striking range of his target.

ooc Ili'koa who had been standing behind Shariau with his sword out moves in to engage TarnK- using Spring attack to move in, attack, and move out (if not possible he will just move in and attack).

Kosji swoops by the two men, sinking his tail-tip into both of them unerringly. The first (Kyln) looks drowsy for a moment, but shakes it off. The second one (Jakk) drops to the ground, falling victim to the poison. Amara stands, waiting to see the intentions of the intruder, while Quillia energizes the party and orders the man to freeze or she'll shoot. Durindal spins Cutter in an obvious threat, but the remaining Tarnished One looks unimpressed with Durindal's weapon display. Xuxia also stands and prepares to defend herself or her friends; her eyes flick to Pumbar for direction.

Shariau calls out to Ili'koa and then chants a prayer to his God, ending it with a gesture to the Tarnished One; invisible bands constrict him for a moment, but with a grunt the dark-cloaked man resists them. He glances at Quillia. "You speak for yourself - but can you restrain your companions?" He throws back his cloak, revealing a dark-enameled metal breastplate, and mutters an odd incantation. He stoops and touches the ground at his feet; a great shadowy darkness springs up, filling the room completely. His gestures and words are strange, even to those of you trained in magic. Despite that, Amara, Quillia, and Shariau recognize it as
a globle of Deeper Darkness.
"I did not come here to fight, but I will if you wish it." His voice holds a certain edge of dark enjoyment, and you hear a rustle of cloth and clank of metal as he moves.

Taking advantage of the man's distraction, Durindal whips Cutter out and towards him, but misjudges his position. Jonathan moves out from behind the bar and waits near the wall with his mace, uncertain if he should venture any further.

Quillia suddenly realizes why his casting seemed so odd, and a moment later it hits Amara as well:
He is using the gestures and words of a cleric praying for a spell, but where there should be a deity name he is instead inserting an arcane magic incantation. Although it is a cleric spell, he is fueling it with arcane power.

[OOC: Kosji's attacks rolled 17+23=40 & 12+23=35 both hit. Damage rolled 2-1=1 & 3-1=2 + poison. (Save vs. poison Fort DC 17: 12+11=23 & 2+9=11.) Sneak Attack: 4d6 rolled 8 and rolled 13. Total damage: 9 and 15 + poison.
Durindal's Intimidate rolled 3+10=13. AoO: rolled 9+16=25 miss.
Shariau's Hold Person DC 19 vs Kyln's Will save: rolled 18+16=34.
Spellcraft DC21 to recognize the spell, and DC30 to recognize the info in the spoiler tags above.
Amara's spellcraft check: rolled 10+26=36
Quillia's spellcraft check: rolled 16+24=40
Xuxia's spellcraft check: rolled 3+16=19
Shariau's spellcraft check: rolled 10+12=22
Durindal's spellcraft check: rolled 9+9=18]

Revised Initiative (status) [last actions]:
Ili'koa (unhurt)
Pumbar (unhurt)
Tarnished One Jakk (slightly hurt; unconscious)
Kosji (unhurt) [attack]
Amara (unhurt) [hold action]
Durindal (unhurt) [draw weapon; Intimidate; hold action]
Quillia (unhurt) [cast haste; drew weapon]
Xuxia (unhurt) [hold action until silentspace returns]
Shariau (unhurt) [cast hold person on Kyln]
Tarnished One Kyln (slightly hurt) [cast spell, move]
Jonathan (unhurt) [move, hold action]

[OOC: Sorry Keia, I thought I had everyone. You had a 21 (13 rolled+8), which would have put you after Amara and before Quilla.
Silentspace, just jump in with your actions whenever you see this thread. :)
Ghostknight, I didn't enter Ili'koa's actions, because I thought he might change them. If anyone wants to change their actions based on the events above, please let me know and we can do so.]

Last edited:

Ghostknight

First Post
Ili'koa moves closer to the man

SPeak and say what you need - what do you do here?

His sword remains ready, his muscles quivering ith restrained energy waiting for the man to respond

ooc:Hold action but if it looks as if the man is preparing a spell or readying a spell he will attack.

Keia

I aim to misbehave
Durindal si'Tempus AC: 26 HP: 86

Man in Black said:
"You speak for yourself - but can you restrain your companions?" He throws back his cloak, revealing a dark-enameled metal breastplate, and mutters an odd incantation. He stoops and touches the ground at his feet; a great shadowy darkness springs up, filling the room completely. "I did not come here to fight, but I will if you wish it."

Durindal allowed the power of his supposed heritage fill him and flow through him.** He looked around for the black cloaked one, first in the direction of Jonathan, the bartender, then to the others.

“Those who use the darkness to mask their actions, also ask for our trust?” Durindal asked allowed, actually laughing heartily. “I find it difficult to trust those I cannot see.”

**Daylight, at will as a half-celestial

OOC: Note: I assume the black cloaked one cast his spell defensively and didn’t provoke an attack from me? [10ft reach]. Actions: Daylight, move to within 5 feet of the cloaked one. Combat reflexes (5 AoO) to attack within ten feet if either provoke (Spiked Chain +16 [+12 Melee, +1 Weapon focus, +2 Enhancement +1 Haste] 2d4 +14 piercing damage [+5 Str x 2, +2 Specialization, +2 enhancement] crit 19-20 x2). AC is Haste adjusted.

Despite Ili'koa's ability to see in the dark, he is having difficulty locating the man, although he can more or less make out his companion's locations. Moving to where he thinks he can attack the individual should he prove belligerent, Ili'koa waits for an answer.

"I and my companion simply came to deliver a message to the innkeeper. The elf's presence surprised me momentarily, and then we were attacked. Tell me, what is it that you want with us?"

A sudden brightness engulfs the room, dispelling the shadows. As it does so, although he does not make any threatening moves, it looks to Ili'koa as if the man is tensing for action. Durindal prepares to move forward to stand not far from Ili’koa.

"You have no message that would interest me, Kyln. I will not forgive you for my wife’s death.” Jonathan moves forward now that he can see clearly.

Kyln glances at Durindal. “Hide my actions? To defend myself, yes. Even I have the right to protect myself.” He sneers at the innkeeper, obviously unconcerned about his words.

[OOC: Paxus - You are correct, my apologies. I have edited the above post to reflect the sneak attack.
Ghostknight - I assumed you moved into melee range, let me know if I am incorrect.
Keia – yes, he did cast defensively. However, you used your move action this round to stand from the table and draw your weapon, and your held action to use Daylight. You can move up on your next turn. You would have gotten an AoO from him moving away though, and I will adjust above post to reflect that.
All - I will post revised initiative and map shortly.]

Last edited:

Pumbar stands and gets ready to move should his help be needed.

Revised Initiative (status) [last actions]:
Kosji (unhurt) [attack]
Amara (unhurt) [hold action]
Durindal (unhurt) [draw weapon; Intimidate; AoO; Daylight]
Quillia (unhurt) [cast haste; drew weapon]
Xuxia (unhurt) [hold action until silentspace returns]
Shariau (unhurt) [cast hold person on Kyln]
Tarnished One Kyln (slightly hurt) [cast spell, move]
Jonathan (unhurt) [double move]
Ili'koa (unhurt) [move, hold action]
Pumbar (unhurt) [hold action until silentspace returns]
Tarnished One Jakk (hurt; unconscious) [sleep for 1 min]