• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Discussion of Scotley's Pathfinder game (closed)

J. Alexander

First Post
Okay downloaded hero lab and worked thru most of it with mikes help
Still getting a error messeage in ability points saying i overbought cant seem to get the exact 22 points necessary or configured right...could we use 25 instead or i will need step by step instructions to get the 22 so i dont get an error messeage.

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
Okay downloaded hero lab and worked thru most of it with mikes help
Still getting a error messeage in ability points saying i overbought cant seem to get the exact 22 points necessary or configured right...could we use 25 instead or i will need step by step instructions to get the 22 so i dont get an error messeage.

Order is important, here (Not sure why, I just know it is).

First, go to the "Personal" tab (tabs are just under the menu bar). At the bottom on the left you'll see "Click to add a new Permanent Adjustment." Click it. In the wizard that pops up, you'll see a long list of selections. One of those will be "Ability Score Points." Select it and then click "Add & Close" at the bottom of the wizard. It will disappear, leaving a brand new Permanent Adjustment at the bottom of the Personal Tab. On the right side of that is a red '0' with a small arrow to either side. Click the right arrow twice (to change the '0' to '+2').

Next, on the menu bar at the top go to "Character" then select "Configure Hero." In the wizard that pops up, on the left side you'll see a drop box that most likely reads "Pick/Roll Ability Scores." Change that to "High Fantasy: 20 Points." Click OK.

Your point buy value should now be set to 22.

I'm attaching a screenshot of the adjustment below.

Attachments

• Ability Score Point Adjustment.jpg
    Ability Score Point Adjustment.jpg
    971.3 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:

Leif

Adventurer
Besharnn, Half-Orc Ranger

Went back and got skills corrected, favored terrain selected, favored enemy selected, and combat style chosen. Background is still in progress.
[sblock=Besharnn]
Besharnn, Ranger3, Half-Orc
Favored Class: Ranger

22 point-buy:
S 15 (7 pts); D 14 (5 pts) +2 racial adjustment; C 14 (5 pts); 12 (2 pts); W 12 (2 pts); C 11 (1 pt)

Final Ability Scores:
S 15 (+2)
D 16 (+3)
C 14 (+2)
I 12 (+1)
W 12 (+1)
C 11 (+0)

Languages: Common, Orcish, Draconic

AC:21 = 10+7(+1 Breastplate)+3(Dex)+1(Dodge Feat)
[AC:25 if Shield of Swings in use]
FF:17, T:14

HP:13+11+11=35 [fixed hp + con mod + favored class mod]
BAB: +3
CMB: +5
CMD: 18 [22 if Shield of Swings in use]

Saves:
Fort: +5 Ref: +7 Will: +3

Traits:
Indomitable Faith (+1 on Will saves)
Deft Dodger (+1 on Ref saves)

Feats:
L1 - Dodge (+1 Dodge bonus to AC)
L2 -Ranger Com Style Feat (2-Handed Wpn) Shield of Swings-[1/2 damage (full att only) for +4 AC & CMD]
L3 - Mobility (+4 AC against AoO from movement)
L3 - Ranger Bonus Feat - Endurance

Skills: (Ranks 7+7+7 = 21) [CS=Class Skill]
Climb 3 ranks +2 str +3 CS = +8
Intimidate 3 ranks +2 racial +3 CS = +8
Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 3 ranks, +1 Int +2 Favored Terrain +3 CS = +9
Perception 3 ranks +1 wis +3 CS = +7 [+2 underground]
Stealth 3 ranks +3 dex +3 CS = +9 [+2 underground]
Survival 3 ranks +1 wis +3 CS = +7 [+2 underground] [+1 (half Ranger Level) to follow tracks]
Swim 3 ranks +2 str +3 CS = +8

Favored Enemy(ies)[+2 on Bluff, Knowledge, Perception, Sense Motive, and Survival checks. +2 att and damage. Can make untrained knowledge checks to identify these creatures]
L1 - Monstrous Humanoid [Ogre]

Wild Empathy - roll 1d20+3 Ranger Level+0 Cha mod to modify reaction of an animal

Favored Terrain(s) [gains +2 initiative, Knowledge (geopraphy), Perception, Stealth, and Survival; leaves no trail, and cannot be tracked]
L3 - Underground

Favored Weapons:
Heavy Crossbow (P) 1-10, crit 19-20 X2, range 120 ft
Halberd (P or S) 1-10+3, crit X3, brace, trip
Short Sword (P) 1-6+2, crit 19-20 X2

[Wealth:3,000 gp]

Halberd, Masterwork, +7 att (3BAB+3Str+1M/W), 310 gp, 1d10+3 dam
Short Sword, Masterwork, +6 att (3BAB+2Str+1M/W), 310 gp, 1d6+2 dam
Heavy Crossbow, M'work +8 att (3BAB+3Dex+1M/W+1P/B shot) 1d10 dam,+1 dam if P/B, 19-20/X2, 350 gp
20 Crossbow bolts, 2 gp, 1d10 dam
7 Magic +1 Crossbow Bolts, 40 gp ea, [+8 att, 1d10+1 dam, 1d10+2 dam if P/B]
Magic Breastplate +1, 1,350 gp, AC +7, ACP -3,
Explorer's Outfit 3 gp
Backpack 2 gp
Pouch 1 gp
Waterskin 1 gp
3 Days' Trail Rations 1.5 gp
2 Flasks Acid 20 gp
Wand of Cure Light Wounds, (Ranger) CL 1, 6 charges 180 gp
Tanglefoot Bag 50 gp
Tindertwigs, 10, 10 gp ea.
Smokesticks, 5, 20 gp ea.
Mirror, small steel 10 gp
Spell Component Pouch ['cause ya just never know...] 5 gp

gp=60
sp=5
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
Haven't worked on my background yet, other than general ideas. His father is/was a Human Sczarni (think Gypsy meets Organized Crime) and almost certainly a werewolf. His mother is a Varisian Elf, also a Gypsy but not of the Sczarni. Mom is still around (of course, and will be long after Vadim's dead), reading the Harrow (Golarion Tarot) and singing/dancing her way through Varisia and Ustalav with the clan. Dad shows up every once in a while but has never been a stable figure in Vadim's life.

Scotley

Hero
Looking of Besharnn, he's very interesting. I think most folks would max out strength with this build, but you've spread you abilities out a little more and so you've got pretty high AC with the magic medium armor, dodge and a 14 dex. High Hp from Con as well. High damage with the polearm. I guess you are going with the two-handed combat style from APG? Power attack seems like the natural choice with that. Trading +1 to hit for +3 damage is a no brainer. Damn, only third level and already 1d10+6 to damage? x3 on crits! So, you could do in theory 48 points of damage on a crit. I'm gonna have to really scale up the fights in the adventure path.

A few mechanical things I noted:

You had the +1 breast plate down as 2,500 gp. I'm only getting a cost of 1350 gp. Am I missing something?

You have a bonus feat of Endurance coming at third level.

As a half-orc you get a +2 to intimidate.

You should pick your combat style, first favored enemy and favored terrain.

Remember in Pathfinder you get plus three to any class skill you take at least one rank in. You might want to spread your points around just a bit since you really get a nice bump for taking any points at all in class skill. Knowledge nature, geography or dungeoneering would all be +5 for an investment of one rank.

You can take various bonuses for taking a level in your favored class, which I presume will be Ranger. Are you taking extra skill rank, hit point or as a Ranger I think you can give you animal companion extra hit points when you get one.

Leif

Adventurer
Looking of Besharnn, he's very interesting. I think most folks would max out strength with this build, but you've spread you abilities out a little more and so you've got pretty high AC with the magic medium armor, dodge and a 14 dex. High Hp from Con as well. High damage with the polearm. I guess you are going with the two-handed combat style from APG? Power attack seems like the natural choice with that. Trading +1 to hit for +3 damage is a no brainer. Damn, only third level and already 1d10+6 to damage? x3 on crits! So, you could do in theory 48 points of damage on a crit. I'm gonna have to really scale up the fights in the adventure path.

A few mechanical things I noted:

You had the +1 breast plate down as 2,500 gp. I'm only getting a cost of 1350 gp. Am I missing something?

You have a bonus feat of Endurance coming at third level.

As a half-orc you get a +2 to intimidate.

You should pick your combat style, first favored enemy and favored terrain.

Remember in Pathfinder you get plus three to any class skill you take at least one rank in. You might want to spread your points around just a bit since you really get a nice bump for taking any points at all in class skill. Knowledge nature, geography or dungeoneering would all be +5 for an investment of one rank.

You can take various bonuses for taking a level in your favored class, which I presume will be Ranger. Are you taking extra skill rank, hit point or as a Ranger I think you can give you animal companion extra hit points when you get one.
Yes, the +1 Breastplate should be 1,350 gp, so if I made a mistake there, that gives him another 1,150 gp to spend. Thanks! I already took the extra hp for Favored Class. That should be clearly shown on the sheet. I missed the bonus feat and forgot about favored enemy/terrain and combat style. +2 to intimidate is GREAT! Thanks! Guess I have more work to do.

Also, the 14 Dex was before racial bonus, so it's 16 total. ;)

Last edited:

Scotley

Hero
Yes, the +1 Breastplate should be 1,350 gp, so if I made a mistake there, that gives him another 1,150 gp to spend. Thanks! I already took the extra hp for Favored Class. That should be clearly shown on the sheet. I missed the bonus feat and forgot about favored enemy/terrain and combat style. +2 to intimidate is GREAT! Thanks! Guess I have more work to do.

Also, the 14 Dex was before racial bonus, so it's 16 total. ;)

D'oh! The favored class bonus hp is quite obvious, sorry. I thought you'd find a use for the extra cash. I really think this guy is going to kick some serious monster butt. I'll be interested to see what you do with him personality-wise as well.

Remove ads