• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Discussion of Scotley's Pathfinder game (closed)

Lou

Explorer
Leif, recall that in Pathfinder, the characters are limited in skill ranks to no more than hit dice. So no more than 3 ranks in any skill for a 3rd level character.

Leif

Adventurer
Leif, recall that in Pathfinder, the characters are limited in skill ranks to no more than hit dice. So no more than 3 ranks in any skill for a 3rd level character.
Good save, Lou! That is offset exactly for a 3rd level character, by the +3 bonus for a Class Skill. Anyway, I reduced the skills where I had too many ranks, picked up an additional skill, got 3 ranks in ALL of my skills, and added in the +3 Class Skill Bonus. All in all, I'd say that Besharrn came out ahead!

Got Favored Enemy and Favored Terrain chosen, and Combat Style selected (archery - heavy crossbow)

Last edited:

Leif

Adventurer
only third level and already 1d10+6 to damage? x3 on crits! So, you could do in theory 48 points of damage on a crit.
I'm sure you know this, Scotley, but the bonuses are not multiplied when you do 2X or 3X damage on a crit, only the actual damage dice of the weapon, and the extra dice are all rolled, not multiplied. So, for Sharnn critting with his halberd it would be 3d10+6 damage, assuming you have the correct figres shown after I've been monkeying around with him. That's "only" a max of 36 damage, which is a far cry from 48. Like I said, I know that you know this, but I wanted to point it out anyway for the benefit of any kiddies who might accidentally view this thread. We don't want any tender eyes to be shocked by massive damage, even if its erroneously reported damage.

THIS IS ALL BOGUS!! THANKS, LOU!

Last edited:

Lou

Explorer
I'm sure you know this, Scotley, but the bonuses are not multiplied when you do 2X or 3X damage on a crit, only the actual damage dice of the weapon, and the extra dice are all rolled, not multiplied. So, for Sharnn critting with his halberd it would be 3d10+6 damage, assuming you have the correct figres shown after I've been monkeying around with him. That's "only" a max of 36 damage, which is a far cry from 48. Like I said, I know that you know this, but I wanted to point it out anyway for the benefit of any kiddies who might accidentally view this thread. We don't want any tender eyes to be shocked by massive damage, even if its erroneously reported damage.

Bro, I think you need to re-read the Pathfinder section on combat damage one more time. The Pathfinder OGC says to add the modifiers for each roll of the dice. I checked the original from Paizo, and it's the same. It reads:

"Multiplying Damage: Sometimes you multiply damage by some factor, such as on a critical hit. Roll the damage (with all modifiers) multiple times and total the results" [emphasis added]

Perhaps Mowgli could chime in.

Leif

Adventurer
Bro, I think you need to re-read the Pathfinder section on combat damage one more time. The Pathfinder OGC says to add the modifiers for each roll of the dice. I checked the original from Paizo, and it's the same. It reads:

"Multiplying Damage: Sometimes you multiply damage by some factor, such as on a critical hit. Roll the damage (with all modifiers) multiple times and total the results" [emphasis added]

Perhaps Mowgli could chime in.
I've read that paragraph numerous times, and it never really sunk in. But, son of a gun if y'ain't right, Bro! I stand corrected. Roll with all modifiers three times (for triple damage) and total results. The exception being that if you double damage twice, you double the original damage, so in effect doubling twice is tripling. See Pathfinder Core Rulebook p. 179. Never mind, Scotley!

DANG, BRO! QUIT SHOWING ME UP SO BAD, YOU'RE INFRINGING ON MOWGLI'S TERRITORY! :p

Last edited:

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
Yeah, usually when extra damage is given as a straight up number (STR bonus, magic bonus, etc) it's added to each instance of the crit roll. Usually when the bonus comes in the form of extra dice (like the precision damage from a sneak attack or the extra dice of damage from a flaming burst weapon) it's only rolled once on a crit.

Leif

Adventurer
Yeah, usually when extra damage is given as a straight up number (STR bonus, magic bonus, etc) it's added to each instance of the crit roll. Usually when the bonus comes in the form of extra dice (like the precision damage from a sneak attack or the extra dice of damage from a flaming burst weapon) it's only rolled once on a crit.
Dang! I've been doing that wrong all these long years now. I've only been adding bonuses once on a X2 crit. No wonder I've never been able to do flippin damage!

Leif

Adventurer
Besharrn take one thousand...

Does this look right yet?

[sblock=Besharrn]
Besharrn, Ranger3, Half-Orc
Favored Class: Ranger

22 point-buy:
S 15 (7 pts); D 14 (5 pts) +2 racial adjustment; C 14 (5 pts); 12 (2 pts); W 12 (2 pts); C 11 (1 pt)

Final Ability Scores:
S 15 (+2)
D 16 (+3)
C 14 (+2)
I 12 (+1)
W 12 (+1)
C 11 (+0)

Languages: Common, Orcish, Draconic

AC:21 = 10+7(+1 Breastplate)+3(Dex)+1(Dodge Feat)
[AC:25 if Shield of Swings in use]
FF:17, T:14

HP:13+11+11=35 [fixed hp + con mod + favored class mod]
BAB: +3
CMB: +5
CMD: 18 [22 if Shield of Swings in use]

Saves:
Fort: +5 Ref: +7 Will: +3

Traits:
Indomitable Faith (+1 on Will saves)
Deft Dodger (+1 on Ref saves)

Feats:
L1 - Dodge (+1 Dodge bonus to AC)
L2 -Ranger Cmbt Style Feat (2-Handed Wpn) Shield of Swings-[1/2 damage (full att only) for +4 AC & CMD]
L3 - Mobility (+4 AC against AoO from movement)
L3 - Ranger Bonus Feat - Endurance

Skills: (Ranks 7+7+7 = 21) [CS=Class Skill]
Climb 3 ranks +2 str +3 CS = +8
Intimidate 3 ranks +2 racial +3 CS = +8
Knowledge (Dungeoneering) 3 ranks, +1 Int +2 Favored Terrain +3 CS = +9
Perception 3 ranks +1 wis +3 CS = +7 [+2 underground]
Stealth 3 ranks +3 dex +3 CS = +9 [+2 underground]
Survival 3 ranks +1 wis +3 CS = +7 [+2 underground] [+1 (half Ranger Level) to follow tracks]
Swim 3 ranks +2 str +3 CS = +8

Favored Enemy(ies)[+2 on Bluff, Knowledge, Perception, Sense Motive, and Survival checks. +2 att and damage. Can make untrained knowledge checks to identify these creatures]
L1 - Undead

Wild Empathy - roll 1d20+3 Ranger Level+0 Cha mod to modify reaction of an animal

Favored Terrain(s) [gains +2 initiative, Knowledge (geopraphy), Perception, Stealth, and Survival; leaves no trail, and cannot be tracked]
L3 - Underground

Favored Weapons:
Heavy Crossbow (P) 1-10, crit 19-20 X2, range 120 ft
Halberd (P or S) 1-10+3, crit X3, brace, trip
Short Sword (P) 1-6+2, crit 19-20 X2

[Wealth:3,000 gp]

Halberd, Masterwork, +7 att (3BAB+3Str+1M/W), 310 gp, 1d10+3 dam
Short Sword, Masterwork, +6 att (3BAB+2Str+1M/W), 310 gp, 1d6+2 dam
Heavy Crossbow, M'work +8 att (3BAB+3Dex+1M/W+1P/B shot) 1d10 dam,+1 dam if P/B, 19-20/X2, 350 gp
20 Crossbow bolts, 2 gp, 1d10 dam
7 Magic +1 Crossbow Bolts, 40 gp ea, [+8 att, 1d10+1 dam, 1d10+2 dam if P/B]
Magic Breastplate +1, 1,350 gp, AC +7, ACP -3,
Explorer's Outfit 3 gp
Backpack 2 gp
Pouch 1 gp
Waterskin 1 gp
3 Days' Trail Rations 1.5 gp
2 Flasks Acid 20 gp
Wand of Cure Light Wounds, (Ranger) CL 1, 6 charges 180 gp
Tanglefoot Bag 50 gp
Tindertwigs, 10, 10 gp ea.
Smokesticks, 5, 20 gp ea.
Mirror, small steel 10 gp
Spell Component Pouch ['cause ya just never know...] 5 gp

gp=60
sp=5

Background:
Besharrn was born to a human farm woman whose husband died in the raid during which she was raped. He grew up spending the vast majority of his time helping to work the farm, but he went exploring the neighboring woodlands and hunting when he wasn't plowing or planting. (Mom figured she'd better get some work out of the b****rd since his daddy killed her husband. She loved her son Besharrn as much as she could under the circumstances, but she never let him feel like he was accepted unconditionally. It was always more like, 'well, yeah, this is the cruddy hand I was dealt, so I might as well learn to like you, ya little b****rd." And when his mother died, there was no way in h**l that the village was going to let him inherit the farm. Now, they would have been tickled to have him "buy the farm," but only in the euphemistic sense.) Besharrn's socialization suffered because of his isolation down on the farm. He is only just barely able to be tolerated by "polite" company and the feeling is very mutual. Besharrn is a major loner and prefers to be alone and outdoors if at all possible. In an adventuring party, he recognizes his dependence on the other members, but that doesn't mean he has to like it, and he'll gladly volunteer to pull as many shifts on watch as he can stand just so he can get in some quality time with his best friend -- himself. Plus, he's not a bad dude to have on watch, so it should be a definite win-win. There is much room for character development here, as Besharrn hopefully will make some genuine friends among his adventuring companions. He's never really had a friend before, so this will be all new to him.

[sblock=Elementary Orcish]
Sha-ta ko queem -- literally: "Naked ape throw fit." Translated to common, "Human dude is pi**ed."
Treem Voria -- literally: "blood moon." Translated to common, "Elf wench is on the rag."
[/sblock]
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Rhun

First Post
Dang! I've been doing that wrong all these long years now. I've only been adding bonuses once on a X2 crit. No wonder I've never been able to do flippin damage!

I figured it out a few years ago...but I was doing it wrong for several years after I first started playing 3.x. It seems so counter-intuitive.

Remove ads