• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DollHouse #! Ghost Season 1/2009

dravot

First Post
The teacher was pretty close to the victim...he was her teacher. Echo said that it's most likely one guy with information (ie, the teacher), and 3 guys with the inclination.

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
Right now, drug violence in between rival criminal groups and between the criminal groups and the law (military, cops, politicians) in Mexico is mind-blowing and kidnappings have become a very common tool to make money and/or strike back at your rivals. It is a different beast than how kidnappings in the US tend to go.
I concur. Our family is friends another family that lives in Cuidad Juarez. The nightmarish news we here every week frightens us. We're trying to help them leave Mexico legally right now. Anyone remember the nightmare that was Colombia a decade or more ago? That's happening in Juarez right now. This episode did touch on that kind of kidnapping . . .

Richards

Legend
I thought it was a pretty good show, and one I'll continue to watch (at least for now), but it really didn't feel like a Joss Whedon show to me. Where was the witty banter and the sharp dialogue? I'm not a big fan of Eliza Dushku, and I don't actively dislike her or anything, but unfortunately for me she's been permanently "imprinted" as Faith the Vampire Slayer, so much so that seeing her in any role is like, "Hey, there's Faith dressed up like a librarian." (It's not limited to her, either; David Carradine is permanently imprinted in my mind as Kwai Chang Caine from "Kung Fu," and William Katt is forever Ralph Hinckley from "The Greatest American Hero." I can't see any of them in any other role without getting that "weird" vibe in my head because they're not acting the way they're "supposed" to.)

Hopefully the series will improve, and become more of the "Whedonesque" show I was expecting. Right now, it doesn't seem very "Whedonny."

And, just to throw this out there as a "wouldn't it be cool?" prediction: Wouldn't it be cool if, should the series last long enough, the FBI agent finally gets the proof he needs, shows up at the Dollhouse (alone) trying to take them down, and ends up getting captured, personality-wiped, and an Active himself, with no memory of his prior life as an FBI agent out to expose the Dollhouse?

Johnathan

fba827

Adventurer
Most shows take a couple episodes to "take off" - the first episode usually has too much to setup and introduce and often comes out slightly clumbsy because of it.

I found this first episode to be okay enough that I'll watch a couple more episodes to see where it goes and if it holds my attention.

I figure the "A" story line of each episode will be Echo in the action personality of the mainsituation (maybe an assist from another active). The B story line (a couple scenes) of each episode will be the cop trying to uncover the dollhouse. And a C story line (maybe a scene or teaser) tossed in here or there with either the rogue alpha or one of the other actives.

Somewhat random question -- when they were showing the cop getting debriefed/scoled by his superiors, and the cop kept flashing to himself in a boxing ring -- was the guy the cop was fighting the same former officer guy who was echo's handler? They looked the same but there wasn't much focus on the target's face for me to tell for sure.

Grymar

Explorer
Very enjoyable with a great potential for future episodes. Eliza did a solid job, better than I expected frankly. The two great characters are the FBI agent and Echo's handler.

A pretty complex concept with muliple levels of issues. Echo is a slave being used for, among other things, prostitution. Yet she is also able to help people when programmed with the right information/personality. And what about the crime, not only of slavery, but of punishing her by implanting the horrific memories of an abused child?

Not a perfect episdoe, but I'd give it a 3.5 out of 5. Certainly worth watching future episodes if it can survive the Friday night time slot.

Felon

First Post
[cross-post from CM]

In my opinion Eliza Dushku is not a good actress. I know that is not going to fit well with some Buffy and Angel fans. But, it's my strong opinion.

She's soap-opera level. 90210 level. She exaggerates lines because she seems to think that is "acting". She makes for a fine supporting character, because she is pretty and can hold down a character actor role good enough to get by. In fact, she can make a pretty good one-dimensional actor if there is enough smart alec in there to distract from the fact that she cannot portray more than one personality. But she cannot play the lead in this kind of show that calls for depth of personality, and have the show be good. And she isn't going to get any better - because she has enough experience to have had that development happen already, and it did not.
This about sums it up for me. Whedon's putting together a show with a lead role that has to be able to convincingly portray a nonstop cavalcade of different personalities, and he chooses Dushku for that role? How can that NOT turn into a lead balloon? What has she ever doen to demonstrate any kind of versatility?

Having said that, I must note that in the segments with Dushku and Summer Glau schilling their shows together, Dushku came out heads and tails above Glau, who was just mouthing her lines flatly like she's never done any acting before. Guess she's at least smart to stick to being cast in roles that don't require any personality whatsoever.

Last edited:

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
Maybe they will wind up using Dushku only as a show starter, phasing her out as the limited ability dries up and phasing in someone with greater versatility, perhaps even an unknown.

Krug

Newshound
Maybe they will wind up using Dushku only as a show starter, phasing her out as the limited ability dries up and phasing in someone with greater versatility, perhaps even an unknown.

Yeah. They should let it be more of an ensemble piece. I'm sure we're going to see teams of 'dolls' working together in future, and I hope there's more Whedon-style humour. But judging by the ratings, if things don't pick up, it's going to die a quick death.

Grog

First Post
Finally got a chance to see this, and I can't believe that there are people who think Dushku is the biggest problem with the show (not that she's anything great, it's just that there are much bigger problems).

How about the writing? There was no memorable dialogue - it was flat, stilted, and boring. And the plot was just stupid. Why would this guy hire a fake negotiator when he could have hired a real one with an actual track record of success? His daughter's life was at stake; I didn't buy this plot contrivance for a second.

And speaking of plot contrivances, out of all the negotiators and all the kidnappers in the world, those two just happened to know each other? Really? I'm willing to suspend my disbelief quite a bit, but that was too much.

Also, it sucks that Joss felt the need to bring back Andrew with the programmer guy. I already can't stand the little twerp. He's Creepy with a capital C.

Very disappointing. IMO Joss is vastly overrated as a TV producer. More and more I'm convinced that David Greenwalt was the true talent behind Buffy and Angel. *shrug*

Vocenoctum

First Post
Finally got a chance to see this, and I can't believe that there are people who think Dushku is the biggest problem with the show (not that she's anything great, it's just that there are much bigger problems).
<snip>

Very disappointing. IMO Joss is vastly overrated as a TV producer. More and more I'm convinced that David Greenwalt was the true talent behind Buffy and Angel. *shrug*

I didn't really post before since I didn't watch all of it and didn't really want to be negative about it. I got bored with it half way through and went to bed instead. All the acting had that stilted daytime soap opera feel to it, and the music was also not really toned well to the scenes. Everything was a bit melodramatic for my tastes, when the scene didn't actually have much drama to it.

Whedon has had some good shows, but I think a lot of the stuff was more in spite of him than because of him, for me. I forget specifics, but I'd hear him rave about Buffy/Angel stuff and he'd be using things that I thought were low-points of said shows.

Anyway, in regards to Dollhouse, I was never keen on the concept, though I do like Dushku well enough. I think it'll shake itself out and either soar or tank by mid-season. I think by mid-season though, it'll be a very diferent show as the premise evolves.

Remove ads