• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DollHouse #! Ghost Season 1/2009

Arnwyn

First Post
Pretty much what LightPhoenix, Mistwell, Felon, and Grog said.

I thought it was... mediocre. The concept has promise, but I found the writing to be not very good and the acting to be not great either. Contrary to what one of the posted reviews said, though, I thought Dushku does a very very good 'vacuous look' (not in a good way).

I'll watch a bit more to see if it gets better.

Grog

First Post
I didn't really post before since I didn't watch all of it and didn't really want to be negative about it. I got bored with it half way through and went to bed instead. All the acting had that stilted daytime soap opera feel to it,

I've been thinking about this some more, and I really don't think the acting was the problem. The characters are bland and uninteresting, but it's the writing much more than the acting (though the acting isn't great by any means).

Take the FBI guy - he's an incredibly generic character. Let's see - argues with his superiors? Check. Obsession with the case destroying his career and his personal life? Check. Disregards procedure in pursuit of his goal? Check. He's basically a Dirty Harry clone, watered down for network television. Where have I seen this character before? Oh, that's right - every other cop show ever made.

Grymar

Explorer
Wow, Grog, you expect a fully fleshed out characterization from a secondary character in the pilot episode? Look at what we thought about kate, or jack, or sawyer on Lost after the first episode...not much to go on. Give them time. The show's premise has potential and I think it may work out ok.

DonTadow

First Post
I've been thinking about this some more, and I really don't think the acting was the problem. The characters are bland and uninteresting, but it's the writing much more than the acting (though the acting isn't great by any means).

Take the FBI guy - he's an incredibly generic character. Let's see - argues with his superiors? Check. Obsession with the case destroying his career and his personal life? Check. Disregards procedure in pursuit of his goal? Check. He's basically a Dirty Harry clone, watered down for network television. Where have I seen this character before? Oh, that's right - every other cop show ever made.
You completely missed the character then. All I got was that he's the anti of what I've seen on other shows. Wish Joss would have went with a cable network with this show.

Vocenoctum

First Post

Writing, pacing, music, it was all "off" imo. Acting too, sure.

Like I said, if I liked the premise more, I'd keep watching. I think it's going to tighten up and improve as the season progresses, but I won't remember it by then.

Felon

First Post
Yeah. They should let it be more of an ensemble piece. I'm sure we're going to see teams of 'dolls' working together in future, and I hope there's more Whedon-style humour. But judging by the ratings, if things don't pick up, it's going to die a quick death.
Yes, I'd enjoy an ensemble. Whedon does ensembles really well. He used to say that he learned from doing the first season of Angel that a one-man-show is pretty limited.

Grog

First Post
You completely missed the character then. All I got was that he's the anti of what I've seen on other shows. Wish Joss would have went with a cable network with this show.

I didn't miss anything. There was nothing more to the character than what I described. He certainly isn't the opposite of what I've seen on other shows; he was exactly like the kind of character you see on just about every cop show that ever gets made. Nothing original in the slightest.

Krug

Newshound
Looks like poor ratings might not kill it off:
Dollhouse: Dollhouse Finds Its Audience... On iTunes
The ratings and reviews for new Joss Whedon show Dollhouse weren't exactly wonderful, but there's one place where the love for the show is easy to find... Apple's iTunes store.

"Ghost," the first episode of Whedon's new Fox series, is the best-selling TV show at the Apple store, having spent the last few days slowly creeping up the charts (It started as the 19th most popular, on Saturday).

Remove ads