Gaming w/Jemal: Mutant Apocalypse Issue 2: Vegas!

jkason

First Post
Terry Quinlan, The Grid

Terry bit his lip as the group entered. Masked to both organic and electronic eyes by the pairing of his abilities and their new friend's, it was still disconcerting to simply trust to their effective invisibility and silence. He decided not to try hacking any alarms for the moment, though he did keep a mental eye on the status and location of the systems connected to them. He'd worry about disabling something when they had to bypass it; at least then, if he mucked something up, they'd be closer to their goal.

As Uomo managed their tour guide (and Terry found himself wondering how much longer they could all pretend to not be there and still effectively work the mission), the hacker started surveying the local network for the most likely access points to the underground mainframe. He didn't imagine they were close enough quite yet, but the less wandering about they did, the better in his estimation.

Voidrazor

First Post
Enoch guffaws at Uomo and Claudia, while being careful to maintain the visualization of a four dimensional sieve network he had dreamed up on the way over. He had played with various designs while at Starke. And the psychiatric institution had made perfect lab for figuring out which objects on the mental plane govern perception. By and large screening them out entirely is easier than tweaking them on the fly. So the teen feels comfortable joking around even now. "Hot stripper babe has you on the brain, gramps! I didn't think you had it in you."

Shayuri

First Post
Cassandra feels her teeth grind as she realizes what Uomo's done. He's warned her what they're going to do. Oh, not directly, but she'd have to be an idiot not to hear the concern in his voice...to mistake that Prince Charming complex as he tried to ride to her rescue.

She quickly stepped up next to him and tried to send things down a different path.

"He's right," she said warmly. "If we get caught, they'll realize someone let us in. If you're not here...you won't be a suspect. Now, we're not planning on getting caught, but we really appreciate what you've done, letting us get this story. Protect yourself, okay?"

Now, hopefully, this feels like protecting her from suspicion, not protecting her from bullets and mayhem. And who knows...maybe we really can pull this off without those things...

Unlikely.

Zerith

First Post
Felix face palmed, hard, aloud and quick; at Cassandra’s comment: the girl was supposeto be there. She would become a suspect for not being there when she was suppose to be there. Sadly it would be blatant as soon as she glanced at ‘gramps’ that she was in on it, do to apparent worry for and not apparent terror of, that it made no real difference. That and she had already been seen showing Uomo and Cassandra in, on camera: Grid could not mask the three of them without blowing their cover.
all in all, the girl was a used, fully spent, and fully exposed asset, she was suspect number one as soon as this operation was over, he knew it and Uomo knew it, there was no hiding her involvement and getting her FAR away from her known haunts within an hour was the safest place she could be.

Getting the girl out of dodge was the right call, but Felix could not help but find fault at Cassandra’s logic.
And so the short were-cat pulled his palm down his face and breathed a annoyed grown.

This was going to get ugly, he just knew it at this point, their reporter just blew something that is learned in reporting 101… for dummies...
'Why me?' he thought.

Jemal

Adventurer
OOC: For the record, Claudia was not seen on camera with them, she went in, and a few moments later they entered while she was distracting the guard with the 'accidental spill'. Then a few minutes after that she went into the conference room (Which has no camera) to meet them.
Maybe not Super-Spy material, but not 'OMG SHES OBVIOUSLY IN ON IT' And I was assuming that Grid was keeping you all off the cameras, I fail to see how that blows your cover, it's kinda what he's here for.

As far as her working, Shall we assume Uomo/Cass tell her to go home 'sick', or tell her to go back to work and pretend to know nothing?
In either case, back to the story:

Claudia nods "Alright, Good luck.." She glances at Cass, seeming like she wants to say more, then clears her throat and turns to leave.

A few moments after she's left, Grid thinks he's discovered a location where he can get to the computers he needs to access, and off they go. Despite being protected by Enoch's illusion, the group takes care to try and avoid guards, in case any of them aren't your standard weak-willed rentacop.

Though it takes several minutes, they manage to find their way to an empty office that seems the same as the rest, but as soon as he tries to access the computer, Grid can tell that he's in the right place - The encryption programs are Military grade, and it is connected to a different network than the others. They quickly pick the lock and get inside as they hear someone coming down the hallway.

Crowded into the office, they wait as Grid sits down and tries his luck at the computer.

OOC: Lucky roll!
OK, Grid's up. This is the access point you need, make some rolls and tell me what you're looking for. DC 25 for normal access, are you taking the +5 DC to prevent your actions from being noticed, or at this point are you going all out and trying to do it fast? You can take 10 for normal access, but hiding your tracks will require either rolling an 11 or using a HP. Everybody elses tech skill is pretty low so I'm ruling none of them can assist, as this is too far over their heads.

Last edited:

jkason

First Post
Terry Quinlan, The Grid

OOC:
And I was assuming that Grid was keeping you all off the cameras, I fail to see how that blows your cover, it's kinda what he's here for.

So had I. Enoch obviously wasn't hiding the pair from Claudia, but unless she was looking right at a security monitor, Claudia would have no way of knowing the other two didn't show up on camera, so hiding everyone seemed like the safest proposition.

This is the access point you need, make some rolls and tell me what you're looking for. DC 25 for normal access, are you taking the +5 DC to prevent your actions from being noticed, or at this point are you going all out and trying to do it fast?

I think he's going to try for the non-detection route, since being noticed mucking about ruins all the surprise they've been trying to build.

If the roll's the same no matter what he's looking for, I'd say he'd start with looking for schematics, security specs, and data on any lab's contents. I'm not sure how much he can get on a single roll, but I figure his first pass is going to be trying for information, and he'll worry about trying to disable security once he knows what's where.

Grid bit his lip as he finally had the access he was looking for. The longer no one knew they were here, the better. So, while he was relatively sure he could rip out what he wanted, the young man took his time, sorting through the mainframe to effectively pickpocket the system of the data he needed. There was a tense couple of silent minutes, where his companions only saw Terry's eyes darting about, his fingers twitching slightly as if he were flipping through pages, then he smiled and looked up.

"Bingo," he said.

Last edited:

Jemal

Adventurer
Grid is able to get in without tripping any security checks, and after a few minutes, pulls up the information he's looking for, including a layout of the underground facility, personnel files, and details on a few projects. He also notices that they have 2 'test subjects' in the basement. He pulls up a related file, and puts a video journal entry from the previous day onto a nearby monitor.

On the screen, a thirty year old man with pale skin, dark hair, and an emotionless expression adresses the camera.

"This is doctor Noah White on project Pride. Our breakthrough the other day seems to have been a premature declaration. Though all three test subjects were restored to a state of humanity and the genetic defects removed, the process caused a genetic instability which acted like an extremely aggressive cancer, the tumors overwhelming their systems before anything could be done about it. The last of them was put down after 36 hours of inability to deal with the problem."

He clears his throat, seemingly uncaring, and flips a page in his notebook
"The researcher responsible for the miscalculation has been suspended without pay for three days and will be subject to supervision for a period not less than two weeks upon his return."
"While this test proves that the bioagent is effective, it's usage is not recommended as the instability of the pathogen may cause it to mutate and affect the general population. We have acquired two new test subjects and hope to begin testing with the recalculated formula within 48 hours."

Grid pulls up the files on the two prisoners. One of them is a young German woman with pyrokinetic powers, the other is a tall Arab with his 'genetic defect' listed as 'undocumented, keep unconscious at all times'

OOC: Anything else, specifically?

Last edited:

jkason

First Post
Terry Quinlan, The Grid

Terry blanches at the entry.

"Definitely we have to take this thing out. Now," he says as the full potential hits him. "Give me a second to see if I can get the security patrol schedules and alarms. We're getting these 'subjects' out of here, too, right?"

[sblock=ooc]Anyone else is free to suggest other info we need, but specifics Terry's after if they're available:

* Location of bioagents and research materials for Project Pride.

* Location of the test subjects

* Security patrol schedules as relates to pathways to both of the above.

* Ditto alarm / automated defenses along the path.

He's not trying to disarm anything yet, so I don't know if you need a second roll, or if the first is still sufficient.[/sblock]

Shayuri

First Post
"If it's at all possible," Cassandra said, after a quick shift of her eyes towards Uomo. "Stopping the weapon has to come first, but we won't just leave them behind. Be sure and find out if they've got any backups stored somewhere else...and...our ruse has me thinking. Is there any way we could go public with this? Not that it's an anti-mutant bioweapon obviously, but really any kind of bioweapon production and testing in such a populated area would be a huge scandal. It'd make future research a lot harder; they'd be worried about having the same thing happen."

Remove ads