Humans rule at distance running

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
that make a lot of sense right there. What animals sweat?
partial answer to my own question: I am guessing simians sweat

Also: Homicidal Squirrel, by that study, it almost seems to say that fallen arches are the eventual norm. Am I in the right thought path?

Grehnhewe

First Post
Thanks for the links squirrel. Remember that video of I posted of the marathoner front launching with ridiculous awesome form...I should try to find it.

partial answer to my own question: I am guessing simians sweat

Also: Homicidal Squirrel, by that study, it almost seems to say that fallen arches are the eventual norm. Am I in the right thought path?
I haven't read those studies in quite some time, but from what I remember, no, I don't think so. I mean, maybe if everyone strapped on a pair of cushioned shoes and used a heel strike to land, then I guess eventually, yeah, the human foot could evolve so the norm would be fallen arches. However, I see that as very unlikely. That, and you know, it would take a really long time.

I think the point is that like anything else, if you don't use it, you lose it. What most people don't realize is that by wearing shoes that have a lot of cushioning they are actually supporting the arch of the foot, and thus not using it. Those shoes allow to you take a wider stride, and land your foot with a heel strike. If you use shoes that have a lot of cushioning, you should try to pay attention to how your foot lands when you walk or run. If you are like most people who wear those types of shoes, you'll notice hat your heel is the first thing that makes contact. Now take off your shoes and walk around barefoot. You should land your foot much softer, and either your mid-foot or fore-foot should be the first thing that makes contact. If you are still heel string, walk around a bit more and you'll notice that it hurts.

That's because your heel wasn't designed to take that kind of impact. Modern athletic shoes, though, are. So when you are running around with some clunky nikes with a thick sole, you'll be able to heel strike without any problem. You may have noticed that most of the cushioning in shoes tends to be in the heel area.

If you wear minimalist shoes, or go barefoot, you don't have all that cushioning. You're able to walk and run with better form. This is usually because your body will try to void pain. You'll end up changing your running gait, and you will avoid heel striking. You'll actually end up using the arches of your feet, which will strengthen them. Also, using minimalist shoes is a lot more fun. Depending on the shoes, you can get good ground feel. You'd be amazed how different walking and running feel when you can actually feel the terrain you are on.

Grehnhewe

First Post
The Squirrel speaks true, and MY nikes are not clunky! At least they are not Asics. (They might make decent shoes but gosh they are ugly.). Either way I agree that stride and form is what matters...Minimal cushion and zero drop rules.

Janx

Hero
that make a lot of sense right there. What animals sweat?

Horses.

From a discussion I had with my deer raising friend, deer have a low endurance for running. So once they spook and bolt, just follow after them, and you'll find them some ways off panting heavily.

So, not just kenyans, but basic humans can keep chasing after a deer until it's really tired and then more easily kill it.

And the humans don't have to be sprinting to do this strategy.

Scott DeWar

Ah, yes. Horses do indeed sweat, and will run until their heart stops. [running a horse to death] as for shoes, I move around in new balance shoes with clunky heels. I will watch how I walk, however as a diabetic it is advised that I not walk about in sandals or bare feet. I told my podiatrist that I own a pair of okibasha [?] sandals and he hissed at me like a cat at a bath of water. Not a Purdy sight.

You'd be amazed how different walking and running feel when you can actually feel the terrain you are on.

To play Devil's Advocate for a minute, an equally big problem is that the terrain many of us walk on isn't what our feet are evolved for, either. Paved and tiled floors are much harder than dirt, and walking on a hard surface for too long basically requires good shoes to avoid problems. I'm a huge fan of being barefoot and would love to buy some of the minimalist shoes available today if someone would make a pair that fit me, but I'm fairly certain running on the sidewalk barefoot is going to hurt you much more than running in grass is athletic shoes.

Not that you were advocating running on concrete, of course. But it's important to remember that padded shoes came in to fashion for a reason.

To play Devil's Advocate for a minute, an equally big problem is that the terrain many of us walk on isn't what our feet are evolved for, either. Paved and tiled floors are much harder than dirt,
True, but you also have to consider that paved and tiled surfaces are far flatter and far less full of hidden rocks and tree root that can hurt you if you step on them.
and walking on a hard surface for too long basically requires good shoes to avoid problems.
Not true. I've walked for hours around Disney World wearing Vibram Five Fingers. I wore the KSOs. I also walk around my university campus all day wearing VFFs. Also, since I work for myself, my boss is pretty cool with the dress code so I can wear them all day. They are quite comfortable.
I'm a huge fan of being barefoot and would love to buy some of the minimalist shoes available today if someone would make a pair that fit me,
I find it hard to believe that with the multitude of minimalist shoes (some more minimalist than others) that are out that you can't find a pair that fits you.
but I'm fairly certain running on the sidewalk barefoot is going to hurt you much more than running in grass is athletic shoes.
Sure, if you have bad form. Even so, running in modern running shoes can still hurt if you have bad form.
Not that you were advocating running on concrete, of course.
I advocate running on any surface, so long as you have proper running form. I run on sidewalks and streets. I do sprints on grass and sidewalks while wearing my VFFs.
But it's important to remember that padded shoes came in to fashion for a reason.
That being money.

Scott DeWar

I have been watching how I walk at home bare foot: outside of the ball of my foot along the edge of my arch.

Remove ads