D&D 5E I have the DMG!

Psyga315

Explorer
I honestly don't care about what's not included. I was just expecting to get a handbook of advice for DMing and that's it. Everything else is a neat feature.

I'm taking everything said in this thread with a huge grain of salt, and that includes the number of villainous archetypes. If it's true and there's only just the two, then I'd be a bit disappointment. Not majorly upset, since some villainous archetypes are already in the player's handbook (Necromancy and Archfiend Pact, for example) and you can easily create archetypes.

dream66_

First Post
I dont mind that concept of marking, but am wondering whether it costs a bonus action to apply the mark, or if it's a freebie (or something else).

It's not about minding marking, it's that advantage on oppertuinity attacks is super lame, and really isn't what those of us that want marking want.

What would be wrong with Marked target has disadvantage on attacking anyone but you.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
It's very curious that (presumably) WotC would request no more questions get answered. This sort of thing generates interest. I wonder if they thought the speculations and heated side discussions would have some negative impact on perceptions of the final product... if so, I guess they don't spend much time on the internet (which would explain a lot about their tech tools track record).

My guess is they said, "Hey, you broke street date by 3 weeks. We suggest you stop bragging about that, and tell your customer that is talking about it that maybe it's not in your best interest to brag about it too." I suspect it has less to do with the content of what he is saying, and more to do with the popularization of the fact they broke the street date by 3 weeks. They're worried other stores will see it and say to themselves, "Well hey if that store was able to break street date, then I can too!"

FitzTheRuke

Legend
It's not about minding marking, it's that advantage on oppertuinity attacks is super lame, and really isn't what those of us that want marking want.

What would be wrong with Marked target has disadvantage on attacking anyone but you.

Huh. I thought it sounded pretty good. To each their own. (Though I wouldn't have a problem with your last line either, but to answer your question, it's that it leaves it up to the Mark to track it. I guess that's a bad thing?)

FitzTheRuke

Legend
My guess is they said, "Hey, you broke street date by 3 weeks. We suggest you stop bragging about that, and tell your customer that is talking about it that maybe it's not in your best interest to brag about it too." I suspect it has less to do with the content of what he is saying, and more to do with the popularization of the fact they broke the street date by 3 weeks. They're worried other stores will see it and say to themselves, "Well hey if that store was able to break street date, then I can too!"

Speaking as the owner of a store that doesn't break street dates, I'd have to agree. It's pretty much "stop rubbing it in for everyone else."

It's true that threads like these make me want to yell at WotC "Where are MY copies, and why can't *I* sell them NOW!?!" I imagine every retailer feels this way when this happens.

In fact, it's likely WotC is trying to shut this down before more of us hear about it, and their customer service phones start ringing...

Sacrosanct

Legend

The couple times this has come up in the past, my FLGS owner (his store is part of the early release program) has said that WoTC will remove those stores from their program, and not ship to them early any more.

GreyLord

Legend
"Lying the blame"? I don't blame anyone. I don't feel there is a need to burden anyone with guilt over this. Things happen; and this is a trivial thing indeed. Nobody should feel bad about this. But I stand by my point that they weren't being "very careful".

Information is information. The store not being aware of this piece of information is odd, given that people who don't run stores are aware of it. Equally odd is them not saying "hang on, everybody knows this isn't due for release until next week - I'd better be very careful and check!"

That said, I understand the owner is your friend, and likely in an awkward position right now because of this thread, so I've no intention of belaboring the point. I'll drop it. :)

Believe it or not, it's actually far more common than you may think.

I do NOT know why they don't know what you may consider to be common knowledge, but they don't. You wouldn't believe the calls that come in regarding street dates in some product lines. Maybe it's because they deal more heavily in other products (maybe a video game shop, or other type of shop) and so peripheral products that aren't their main drive aren't kept in as strict auspices so that they know these things.

That said, if they don't keep up with the side items, and it's not listed or told to them explicitly, they may not have any clue on the street dates.

Addendum: That said, as implied by Misty...when dates are broken, it's never fun for other shops to hear about it, and can only create problems and headaches in regard to that.

Last edited:

Tyranthraxus

Explorer
I just realised that I wont actually GET the DMG until Mid Jan. I know it comes out to most shops in America by the 9th. But it wont make shipping deadlines to make it to Aus by Christmas. Thus mid Jan Im thinking.

Sad :(

Psikerlord#

Explorer
I just realised that I wont actually GET the DMG until Mid Jan. I know it comes out to most shops in America by the 9th. But it wont make shipping deadlines to make it to Aus by Christmas. Thus mid Jan Im thinking.

Sad :(

Games paradise Sydney will have it 8 Dec or whatever. They had PHB and MM the official release date, I know I went and bought them that day (not the early stores date - I couldnt find anyone in Sydney/Australia who is an official "wotc" store, for the purpose of early releases. :mad:)

If any aussies are aware of an early release store in Australia - do let me in on the secret!!

Last edited:

Remove ads