• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

I heard that there is a "fix" to Time Stop...

Magus_Jerel

First Post
A basic ASSUMPTION - maybe... but I don't assume that which is not a given.

As far as quickened spell - here is the exact text I have.

Quickened spell [Metamagic]
You can cast a spell at a moments thought
Benefit: Casting a quickened spell is a free action. You can perform another action, even casting another spell in the same round as you cast a quickened spell. You may only cast one quickened spell per round. A spell whose casting time is more than one full round cannot be quickened. A quickened spell uses up a slot four levels higher than the spell's actual level.

Note what ISN'T there:
It has to be your turn to cast a quickened spell.

Granted - I use first printing, second run of the PHB - and don't have a second printing copy - but I don't recall seeing ANYTHING like that in the errata or in the rules concerning free actions that I have, which I repost for convenience of all.

Free Action: Free Actions consume a very small amount of time and effort, and over the span of the round, their impact is so minor that they are considered free. You can perform one or more free actions while taking another action normally. However, the DM may put reasonable limits on what you can do for free. For instance, calling out to your friends for help is free. Reciting your clan's war history, however, takes several minutes.

Again - note what ISN'T there:
It has to be your turn for you to take a free action.

Granted - SPECIFIC actions may bear that restriction - such as that of the Barbarian entering His rage - but when this is present you see something like what follows:

Entering a rage takes no time in and of itself, but a barbarian can only do it during his action.
(under Barbarian's Rage ability - about midway down page 25)

Now - show Me text like THAT concerning quickened spells - and I have to concede the point - but believe Me, I can't find it.

If I be right - maybe I get to make a total ass out of the entire LC for pointing this slight trivial insignificant point out?

Now - again... I do admit that there IS a caveat under suprise- an unaware combatant cannot act, but I am presuming that both combatants ARE aware.

AGGEMAM

First Post
PHB, page 121.

Each round begins with the character with the highest initiative result and then proceeds, in order, from there. Each round uses the same initiative order. When a character’s turn comes up in the initiative sequence, that character performs his entire round’s worth of actions. (For exceptions, see Attacks of Opportunity, page 122, and Special Initiative Actions, page 133.)

Emphasis added.

Last edited:

Magus_Jerel

First Post
You can perform one or more free actions while taking another action normally.

Aggeman - please note that it does not say you HAVE to be taking another action to take a free action in any shape way or form - only that you MAY do so, not MUST BE DOING SO. Slight change of words - big difference in meaning.

Again - I do not have that text on pg 121 and cannot figure out why that is so.

I am headed to take a look directly at the SRD here as well.

Magus_Jerel

First Post
Each round begins with the character with the highest initiative result and then proceeds, in order, from there. Each round uses the same initiative order. When a character’s turn comes up in the initiative sequence, that character performs his entire round’s worth of actions. (For exceptions, see Attacks of Opportunity, page 122, and Special Initiative Actions, page 133.)

however - I reiterate a part of the statement concerning free action here:
Free actions consume a very small amount of time and effort, and over the span of the round, their impact is considered so minor that they are considered free.

To wit - a free action is not "charged" against Me as an action in the "round" system!!! No "worth" is involved.

To take the above quote literally - I can't even blink My eye when it isn't my "six seconds" - but I do.
I make saving throws - take damage and "do" other things as well. If it is a free action - I could do possibly do it.

Magus_Jerel

First Post
You can't shout out anything when it is not your turn!

My teachers always did say I was a very disruptive student unless they kept my geinus occupied. :) :)

I CAN - doesn't mean I am "allowed"...

LOSE THE BRAINWASHING AND THE ASSUMPTIONS.
THINK OUTSIDE THE BOOK

AGGEMAM

First Post
Magus_Jerel said:
however - I reiterate a part of the statement concerning free action here:
Free actions consume a very small amount of time and effort, and over the span of the round, their impact is considered so minor that they are considered free.

To wit - a free action is not "charged" against Me as an action in the "round" system!!! No "worth" is involved.

To take the above quote literally - I can't even blink My eye when it isn't my "six seconds" - but I do.
I make saving throws - take damage and "do" other things as well. If it is a free action - I could do possibly do it.

My quote even speficies the ONLY exceptions to the rule.

And no, basically when it is not your turn, you don't blink, breathe, or anything else if circumstances outside your control does not tell you to do otherwise.

By saying otherwise, you have totally missed the point of breaking the round into initiative counts.

Last edited:

Magus_Jerel

First Post
and aggeman - you mean

and yes, you dont...
not
and no you don't...

Well - your text does NOT say the following:

(For the ONLY exceptions, see Attacks of Opportunity, page 122 and Special Initiative actions, page 133.)

If you had THAT text - sure; but you don't :) sowwy. :(

AGGEMAM

First Post
I have now quoted some phrases that tell you cannot make free actions when it is not your turn.

Please quote the phrases that say you can.

What? You can't find any? Well, I'm not surprised am I?

EDIT: and btw, it's AggemaM, not AggemaN.

Last edited:

Magus_Jerel

First Post
I'll give you one - indirectly.

I have used a readied action to attempt a counterspelling. It is not, therefore My turn.

My condition goes off.

I have succeeded at my spellcraft check, and am now attempting to use dispel magic. I may prepare the components for the dispel magic as a free action - and IT IS NOT MY TURN.

I'll give you another example - directly.

An opponent attempts an overrun on his turn.
I may, as the defender choose to either move out of the way (a 5 ft step) or may choose to block him.

AGGEMAM

First Post
Readying is one of the exceptions noted under special initiative actions (page 133).

Overrun doesn't let you move at all, you choose either to block or avoid the overrunning character. You don't actually move any distance what-so-ever. (page 139).

Last edited:

Remove ads