D&D 5E I like to hit stuff, and I do it as ...

I like to hit stuff as a ...

• Barbarian

Votes: 14 16.5%
  • Valor Bard

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Champion

Votes: 13 15.3%
  • Battlemaster

Votes: 11 12.9%
  • Monk

Votes: 14 16.5%
  • Paladin

Votes: 24 28.2%
  • Ranger

Votes: 7 8.2%

• Poll closed .

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
Ranger. And by Ranger, I mean the idealized Aragorn badassery that is Ranger, in my head. Or something.

I only GM, so it's not like it matters, anyway.

I'd probably be happy to play any of them, though -- well, besides Barbarian. I love a good Barbarian like you love a good Paladin. Which is to say, I reject the underlying premise of that adjective being applicable to that noun.

I go for the same typ of ranger, though interestingly my BA Aragorn "Ranger" tends to be some Fighter - Scout, some Ranger, and maybe even 2 levels of Barbarian.

I choose barbarian for pure bone headed stupidity. I normally DM, so when I get to play, I don't want to think. I just want to hit stuff, be hit, and suggest stupid plans that no one with more than 2 brain cells should think "That's a good idea. Let's follow the barbarian's lead".

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I choose barbarian for pure bone headed stupidity. I normally DM, so when I get to play, I don't want to think. I just want to hit stuff, be hit, and suggest stupid plans that no one with more than 2 brain cells should think "That's a good idea. Let's follow the barbarian's lead".
That sounds like the kind of barbarian I want to play. Every time there is planning I want Krunk to say "Krunk have axe... what if Krunk hit it with axe?"

The signature of champions.

Unfortunately . . . well not for me actually. The one time I got to actually play such a character for any length of time (Shark totem in a Polynesian campaign), the other players all decided that my barbarian's plans were brilliantly simplistic. I think the DM cried a little bit each night.

Salamandyr

Adventurer
I picked Barbarian, but I think I'm gonna opt for Swashbuckler rogue. Because resource management...feh.

Because sometimes I'm Fafhrd and sometimes I'm the Gray Mouser.

flametitan

Explorer
What does Banneret hitting count as? Where you don't want to just hit stuff good, but you want to inspire those following you to rally around you and hit stuff too.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
This poll is very strange. I gather the College of Valor is called out for Bard because the other Bard subclasses are more spellcasting focused than martial focused. But why separate out Battlemaster and Champion? And why no option for Rogue?

Mercule

Adventurer
I go for the same typ of ranger, though interestingly my BA Aragorn "Ranger" tends to be some Fighter - Scout, some Ranger, and maybe even 2 levels of Barbarian.
There's definitely some overlap between Barbarian and Ranger. Personal opinion: most of the Barbarian stuff should go to either the Ranger or to a "Berserker" Fighter subclass.

Funny enough, some of the newer Barbarian kits make a good argument for having a Warden class that lacks rage, but has some other source for the effects. In that case, I'd actually move the pets from Ranger to Warden. I suppose if I look at the Barbarian class as a Warden, the class is starting to mature. I still don't like rage as a core mechanic, though.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
There's definitely some overlap between Barbarian and Ranger. Personal opinion: most of the Barbarian stuff should go to either the Ranger or to a "Berserker" Fighter subclass.

Funny enough, some of the newer Barbarian kits make a good argument for having a Warden class that lacks rage, but has some other source for the effects. In that case, I'd actually move the pets from Ranger to Warden. I suppose if I look at the Barbarian class as a Warden, the class is starting to mature. I still don't like rage as a core mechanic, though.

Oh yeah the "Raging Guy" Archetype could definitely have been a Fighter subclass, leaving the Wilderness Warrior to the Ranger. I mean all 3 new barbarian subclasses: Spirit guy, Elemental guy, and Gods touched guy make more sense as a Shaman, or like you said Warden. Totem Warrior too.

As it is I've had to redefine what I see "Rage" as in terms of translating the use of the ability on a non-Berserker or non-Battlerager to something more akin to some kind of Primal Instincts.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
I find the poll to be insufficient. I sometimes like to hit stuff as a Blade Pact Warlock. Or as an Eldritch Knight fighter. Sometimes as both. (I have actual characters that are blade pact warlock, eldritch knight fighter, and a chain pact/eldritch knight fighter/warlock. Plus a tome pact/vengeance oath warlock/paladin. )

Remove ads