IC: HUSSies Graduation Exam (Elements of Magic Revised)

The Goblin King

First Post
The sun is setting on the private docks at the Hiddles University of Sorcererous Studies. The air is filled with the salty taste of the ocean and the cacophony of sea gulls. Your Air Skiff bobs up and down in the water. It is a pure white boat about 15 feet long. It has a white canvas canopy that is currently folded up into the frame. In the rear is a rudder but there is no place for oars. Your instuctor, Professor Lionheart, is there to see you off. The boatman, whose name escapes you is there too.

Last edited:

Particle_Man

Explorer
The handsome Adam Brait

The breeze ruffles Adam Brait’s thick black hair, and his green eyes twinkle as he smiles in remembrance of his dinner the night before with his fellow students, and his rather more private celebration with that pretty chef. What was her name? Ah, Gloria. A fitting name, considering the glorious task before them. Thank goodness he was able to sleep in this morning. And that he found clothes to wear that were practical, without sacrificing style.

“Well, we have fine weather for our trials, at any rate!” says he in his rich, melodious voice. “After all, ‘Red sky at night, Mages delight’. Is that not so, my friends? And look! There is a seal, to wish us luck!” Adam points out the animal to his friends, for his eyes are among the sharpest, especially at night.

Adam was glad to be with his friends in this, a chance to test his abilities. While he has love only for the art of illusion-craft, he respects the gifts of his companions. And he also wants to justify Professor Lionheart’s faith in him. The professor saw that Adam’s failure to grasp basic spell theory was not necessarily a bar to spell mastery. And the professor argued for Adam to remain in the college, against the wishes of some of the other instructors. And indeed, when introduced to the subject of illusion magic, and allowed time for private tutoring in this field, Adam flourished. For he was an artist, rather than a magical theorist. He drew upon instinct to fuel his creations. One day, he hopes, he will share his dreams with the world…

A comment from one of his shipmates snaps Adam out of his reverie.

Voadam

Legend
Golian Tur remained impassive, readying himself for the trials ahead. His ki was in balance, his being was focused. "Let it begin, we are ready."

Komodo

First Post
Grinning widely, Dereth agreed with the monk, "Yeah, I'm ready, too. Let's get this going!" He adjusted the small sword sheathed at his waist, and made sure that his bow was firmly attached to his back. He tightened the leather belt around his blue-and-white-clad waist, and straightened the gold-trimmed vest that he wore.

Last edited:

Dalamar

Adventurer
"Let's just hope we all make it back alive, no? We aren't just going to be in a test, we'll be fighting for survival."
Vilya gazes over railing and into the horizon, preferring the solid ground to the deck of a ship.

The Goblin King

First Post
You all climb aboard the boat. As the boatsman grasps the rudder there is a hiss of air and the Skiff lurches forward. Professor Lionheart shouts, "Good luck! I know you will do well!" from the dock. He recedes quickly as the boat rapidly builds up speed. After a moment the bow lifts out of the water. You can now see the Air Skiff has four legs connected to two skis under it. At this speed the boat seems to fly as its only touching the water on the two skis. ((It is in fact a magic powered hydrofoil))

You sail north for almost an hour. By this time the sun has all but disappeared and only a glow remains in the sky. The island is dark and foreboding. Beyond the white sandy beach lies a shadowy jungle. Your pilot slows the boat a little before beaching it. He says in a gravely voice, "The manor is in the middle of the island. Be back here in twelve hours. Be careful, there are bound to be patrols."

Last edited:

Particle_Man

Explorer
Adam sniffs the air. "Hmmm...I wonder how long it will take us to get to the manor. I could make us harder to detect for a while, but that might use up magical energies that we would need later. Still, I am open to suggestions. Shall we proceed with all due caution, or send a scout ahead to see what is ahead and report back to us? Or should scouting wait until we are closer to the manor itself?"

Dalamar

Adventurer
"I could scout ahead while the rest of you slowly make way forward," Vilya suggests.
She checks the beach and the edge of the jungle for tracks before it gets too badly walked over by them.

The Goblin King

First Post
There is one set of boot tracks on the beach. They come from the east and head west. They appear to be walking along the beach around the island. You would guess there were maby 3 or 4 of them. It looks like they were walking in a straight line but not trying to hide thier numbers.

Last edited:

Remove ads