IC: HUSSies Graduation Exam (Elements of Magic Revised)

Komodo

First Post
"Well, this is supposed to be an infiltration. So yes, go ahead and scout around for us. But watch out - it looks like they've got patrols out here. Come back immediately if you encounter anyone," Dereth says, drawing his bow and nocking an arrow. He points the bow at the ground and adds, "Even if you're being chased."

Last edited:

Dalamar

Adventurer
"The beach isn't probably the best place for you to stay. They might be coming back," Vilya says, and then moves to the jungle. She does her best to stay unnoticed (Hide and Move Silently), going for some couple hundred feet before coming back to check on the others. She will keep a sharp eye out for anything out of the ordinary and more tracks.

The Goblin King

First Post
Vilya scouts ahead about one hundred feet. Fur and movement catches your eye. Hiding, you see a creature come into view. Walking on all fours its about 6 feet high at the shoulder but would be about 8 feet tall if it reared up. You can see now that its brown coat is a mix of fur and feathers. Its about 50 feet away and stops. It turns its head, seemingly looking right at you. You can hear it sniffing the air through its beak. After a moment, the owlbear turns away and continues its hunt in an easterly direction.

Last edited:

Dalamar

Adventurer
That was a tad too close, Vilya thinks to herself as she moves a bit from her hiding place. She takes another moment to see that the owlbear isn't coming back, and then returns to the others.
"There is an owlbear in the jungle. Is one of you able to mask our scent?"

Last edited:

Particle_Man

Explorer
Adam smiles. "That should not be a problem so long as well all stay within 10 feet of myself until we are past the owlbear -- say, for 10 minutes? I will try to mask our noise at the same time, and try to mute our appearance slightly. I am afraid I cannot completely succeed at this, but this should do well enough if we are cautious. But, since we should be quick, I shall begin immediately. Let us call this particular illusion the 'sphere of sneaking.' Prepare yourselves, my boon companions." He then spends some time concentrating, and with some hand gestures and muttered words (perhaps with a little more flourish than is strictly needed to cast the spell), begins his incantation. It takes longer than normal, but at the end, you notice the muting of the scents and sounds immediately around you, just as one might notice the abscence of a wall that one has been leaning against. In addition, all of your appearance changes slightly to match the background coloration, until you realize that it is, after all, only one of Adam's improvised illusions. Then your ability to smell, see, hear and feel things around one snaps into focus. But you can tell that the magic is still there.

[OOC: This is not a signature spell. It is: Illusion Acid 1/Illusion Void 1/Illusion Shadow 0/Illusion Metal 0/Gen 2 - masks the scents and sounds of all within 10' of myself for the next ten minutes, requiring any "sniffers" to take a -10 on their smell detection checks and listen checks. Slightly dulls and dims our coloration (a minor chameleon effect), so that spotters take a -5 on their spot checks. Also affects the abilities of those who can detect us by vibrations by a -5 penalty. This costs 4 points. If others interrupt Adam *before* he starts casting, he will wait to hear what they say (they might have other requirements of the magic). Otherwise, consider yourselves harder to smell, hear and see. And the "resist illusions one knows are illusions" is what I am following with the above effect, so that others cannot sneak up on us by virtue of this spell. Oh, if it is bad protocol to put this stuff in this post, let me know and I will edit it out. I'm new at this, but wanted to keep us all mechanically on the same page. End OOC]

Voadam

Legend
Golian nods at Adam in recognition of his strategic requirements and takes the point for the small group as they go forward once the illusion is in place.

The Goblin King

First Post
After a short trek through the jungle you arrive at your destination. From the edge of the trees you can easily see across the plantation fields. In the moonlight the white walls of the mansion seem to glow eerily. Its a three story building that is completely dark except for a single light in the second story corner window. In the yard is a weeping willow tree. Around the yard is an overgrown wooden fence.

((btw- what light sources, if any, are you using to see?))

Particle_Man

Explorer
Adam holds up a hooded lantern and whispers: "So, at what point would it be best for me to light this for the benefit of those of you who do have not developed the magical talent to see in the dark? There seems to be a need to balance seeing and not being seen."

Dalamar

Adventurer
OoC: Vilya has low-light vision thanks to her items, and can gain darkvision for a short while. Right now she only has the former, though.

IC: "I can scout ahead again for a bit," Vilya says, "or we can all go in and try for that window on one go."

Remove ads