IC: HUSSies Graduation Exam (Elements of Magic Revised)

Voadam

Legend
Particle_Man said:
Adam holds up a hooded lantern and whispers: "So, at what point would it be best for me to light this for the benefit of those of you who do have not developed the magical talent to see in the dark? There seems to be a need to balance seeing and not being seen."

"For now there is moonlight and my eyes have adapted to the night time. If we were to enter an unlit interior where the moonlight is completely blocked. I would need some illumination to see. For now it would just give away our position. Even blind I can still grapple effectively if next to a foe."

Golian cricks his head to one side then the other in a quick stretch.

Komodo

First Post
"I too can see at night, provided there is at least a hint of illumination," whispers Dereth. "As of now, there is very little reason to betray our position with a lamp, so let's quickly and quietly make our way to the building. We'll figure out what to do then."

The Goblin King

First Post
The four of you move out. Crossing the fields undetected is easy enough. The grain is almost as tall as you are. You stop just before the vine covered fence. Crouching in a small water ditch its about a 50 foot dash over the fence and across the manicured lawn to the shadow of the mansion. The problem is the weeping willow tree. You get the distinct feeling that its somehow watching you. Its only movement is a slight swaying in the breeze. It doesn't appear to be anything other then an ordinary tree. Still, its unnerveing.

Particle_Man

Explorer
Adam whispers: "This will sound odd but that tree seems rather...attentive. Hmmm...I wonder if it is a watchdog that barks (if you will pardon the pun), or bites?" If the former, perhaps we could slip past it with something like my sphere of sneaking, unless it has seen us already. Or perhaps we can try to put the manor between us and the tree before we approach any closer to the manor, although I guess the door to the manor is still in "view" of the tree. If the latter, we may face our first combat, but as an alternative I could perhaps run interference by creating a temporary wall while we dash inside, assuming that the door to the manor does not provide a long-term barrier to our entry. Do the rest of you have any suggestions?"

Last edited:

Voadam

Legend
"I get the same feeling. It could be an illusion covering a guardian or a sentient magical tree beast. Best to just stay out of its reach and go around it quickly. Anybody good with fire, axes, or anti-plant spells just in case?"

Komodo

First Post
"Last time I checked," whispers Dereth, grinning, "Trees aren't too fond of lightning." He grins. "I say we make our way to the door, and blast it if it so much as shakes in the wind."

Particle_Man

Explorer
Adam looks a bit worried, and whispers "well, I suppose I can send of bolt of lightning its way (sort of) if that should become necessary; would it help to send an illusion of one of us up ahead first, to see what the tree does, or would it be better to conserve magical energy for later?"

Last edited:

Voadam

Legend
"I would suggest still moving under the cloak of your illusion past it and not worrying unless it breaks the illusion and attacks."

Komodo

First Post
"Sounds good to me." says Dereth. "If it tries anything, we hack, slash, punch, and blast it into oblivion. Sound good?"

Komodo

First Post
"Sounds good to me." says Dereth. "If it tries anything, we hack, slash, punch, and blast it into oblivion. Everybody ready for this?" He draws his sword and holds it at the ready.

Remove ads