iPad

It can run your iphone apps... but BIGGER!

:p

Count me as not so impressed.

I'll be excited when the non apple touch pads come out that are... you know... real touch pad computers, and not just a big ipod touch.

Don't discount form factor.

Which would you rather watch a movie on? A 13" CRT or a 50" HDTV?

So it's not a Windows based machine. So it's not a MacBook. But it wasn't supposed to be. If you want those...those are already available. Some of us wanted something different.

Scribble

First Post
Don't discount form factor.

Which would you rather watch a movie on? A 13" CRT or a 50" HDTV?

So it's not a Windows based machine. So it's not a MacBook. But it wasn't supposed to be. If you want those...those are already available. Some of us wanted something different.

Shrug. I'm sure it will do well with the Apple fans.

But I'm still not impressed- Again I'll be impressed when the rest of the touch screens start hitting the shelves.

Those I think will start to revolutionize mobile computing.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Gizmos are nice, but I don't have the disposable income for early-adoption. After a year or two, I'll look over my computer use, my income, and we'll see if a tablet makes sense.

To be honest, it seems to me that home use is not where tablets will prove to be killer-useful. I'm thinking medical professionals will eventually find them key - access medical records over a clinic or hospital network, every staff member having one to carry around. Now that's valuable use.

Jeff Wilder

First Post
Same here. Considering I don't have an iphone, netbook, e-reader, or even laptop (wife has taken over mine as well, though, but more for Facebook), this is exactly something I would love.
If the device turns out not to multitask ("no multitasking" seems to be the consensus, but I'm withholding judgment,because it seems like such a serious mistake to drop these without multitasking), give it some serious thought before buying one.

I recently restarted grad school and reading journal articles and textbooks
But not a textbook and the web at the same time.

Include the gaming possibilities
What, exactly, and how useful without multitasking?

I don't mean to harp on this, but ... I was this close to buying an iPhone, only vaguely aware of its lack of multitasking. But as a Palm loyalist, I waited for the Pre and I am so glad I did. It turns out that I almost never have only one app open on my Pre, and usually it's three or four. (Email with a PDF attachment sends me to PDF Viewer, Friendsbook sends me to YouTube, and so on.)

For gaming, I could see having open two or three books, an app to play sound effects, a dice roller, and so on.

You may very well be different in how you use devices, so all I'm advising it that folks give thought to the importance of multitasking for them.

Blastin

First Post
Gizmos are nice, but I don't have the disposable income for early-adoption. After a year or two, I'll look over my computer use, my income, and we'll see if a tablet makes sense.

To be honest, it seems to me that home use is not where tablets will prove to be killer-useful. I'm thinking medical professionals will eventually find them key - access medical records over a clinic or hospital network, every staff member having one to carry around. Now that's valuable use.

Yup. I work with one Doc that opened a private office and this is what he did...all records electronic and uses a pad. He loves it.

Ruined

Explorer
I'm thinking medical professionals will eventually find them key - access medical records over a clinic or hospital network, every staff member having one to carry around. Now that's valuable use.

If someone makes an app that mimics the special medical coding diagrams ER's use, that would be awesome. I used to work in medical billing, and you would not believe the cost for those sheets.

Anyhow...

I'm not an Apple fanboi by any means, but this is good timing for me. I've been watching the Kindle and other projects like the Skiff Reader. The big sell point is seeing how easy it is to get my files (pdfs, docs) onto the device. (and the unknown price point for the Skiff)

Last edited:

Tale

First Post
What, exactly, and how useful without multitasking?
A battlemat program. Include the image file for the area. Overlay it with image files for player tokens. Have effect tokens to overlay ontop of them or to click in a check box. Scroll and zoom functionality. That'd be sweet. That'd be incredibly useful, with or without multitasing.

Ack! The HIPA ramifications of that are giving me convulsions. I'd hate to be InfoSec for the first hospital to adopt tablets.

Remove ads