iPad

Festivus

First Post
I think it's neat... but I also think there is going to be better stuff along these same lines in a year or two. Look at the evolution of the iphone, the first iteration was okay, but the second and 3rd were both far better. That it doesn't multi-task is extremely limiting, but probably just an os limitation that can be corrected later. Certainly I would prefer this over a kindle. I saw 10 hours of batterylife, but is that while the system is running or is that how long till you need to recharge it? My iphone battery life sucks, and I have to always charge it every night.

For me, I have my eye on the Lenovo Ideapad U1 (Lenovo IdeaPad U1 Hybrid hands-on and impressions -- Engadget). It's more my speed... and it runs Windows 7.

Edit: Oh, at $499 I might pick one up just to have one for reading books on.

coyote6

Adventurer
I've already seen doctors using tablet PCs -- and that was a few years ago.

I want an awesome iPad, but I don't know if Apple's releasing that yet. Might have to wait a few iterations. :)

Heck, I haven't even gotten a smartphone yet, since I can't find one that has all the features I'd like to see (microSD or some other expansion memory, multitouch, multitasking, etc).

Kzach

Banned
Banned
I can't believe they wasted all their energy on this sort of suck.

I was hoping for a MacBook Pro update and instead got this. Bleh.

Scribble

First Post
Ack! The HIPA ramifications of that are giving me convulsions. I'd hate to be InfoSec for the first hospital to adopt tablets.

Most of your medical info when you enter a hospital/doctor's office is already in digital format... The HIPAA concerns shouldn't be any different.

My company is actually working on some really cool initiatives though that puts the medical info in the hands of the patient... so essentially when you go from doctor to doctor they're using the same info- tablet computers would be great for something like that.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
I think I was hoping for more from the iPad than a bigged up iPhone. The flash memory doesn't seem enough (it is scarcely more than the iPhone, so what if I want to have lots more music or (especially) video on it?)

The screen resolution isn't so great. 1024 x 768 or thereabouts, so it can't do top HD, only the lesser 720p HD for movies etc.

Plus, when used in portrait mode many websites won't display properly (like ENworld for instance!). 10 years ago websites were largely designed to a width of under 800px, which would work fine, but far too many websites nowadays work to a minimum width of ~1024, which means it is landscape mode or cropped portrait (or shrunken webpage).

I'm stuck thinking where it would be of most use personally. If I'm at home and I want to watch a movie, it wouldn't replace my TV (or PC). If I'm on the go it is too large to always be in my pocket like my iphone, so when exactly do I use it?

It is also primarily a consumption device rather than a producing device; I'll not be doing programming, web development or writing on it any time soon. As a touch typist I'm probably much happier doing my email on something with a real keyboard too. Even posting on ENworld would be much more awkward than with a PC.

I'll watch it with interest, but I'm not sure whether it will be a real game-changer or not.

I suppose it all comes down to the content, really.

Cheers

Jason Anderson

First Post
I saw 10 hours of batterylife, but is that while the system is running or is that how long till you need to recharge it?
The 10 hours was continuous use (eg: watching a video), and 1 week if it is just running on standby. Of course every manufacturer lies about how long the batteries last in their devices (when did a laptop ever last the length of time that's quoted?), so take that with a grain of salt until the reviews come in.

Slander

Explorer
It's definitely a nice piece of equipment. And I really wanted to love it. I've been waiting for a quality, affordable tablet since 1987. I thought the day had finally come when I could pick up the iPad, a bag of dice, and a 2-liter of Dew and have everything I needed to run a game. No laptop bag, no power bricks, no physical books (landscape monitors aren't as convenient for reading books) ...

But no go. Can't run Maptool (or any Java apps); even if it could, can't have it, all of my go-to books, my browser, background music, and my campaign organizer open all at once. I had hoped for a laptop with a tablet form factor, good price with the trademark Apple experience. What I got was a beefed up iPhone.

Still might end up getting one (what's a tax return good for if not to splurge a little), but it won't replace my laptop.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
I love my iPhone, but the iPad doesn't wow me.

I think I'd be more likely to buy a netbook for half the price (or less) than this device.

However, with a couple more iterations, I may change my mind.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Most of your medical info when you enter a hospital/doctor's office is already in digital format... The HIPAA concerns shouldn't be any different.

But most of the current tech is hardwire. Having it available over wireless will create the occasional conniption, I am sure. But it seems to me that it'll be so darned useful that they'll solve the problems involved.

Remove ads