Jessica Jones [spoilers allowed]

Ryujin

Legend
I am not sure that he understood that as child, to be honest.

That's left rather ambiguous but the feel that I got from it was as I stated; that he convinced himself that his parents performed evil experiments on him. It makes it easier to support the inner narrative that none of it is his fault, just as he claims to have never killed anyone. It's one big denial of reality.

After 5 episodes, I'm wondering if this show will be able have a good second season. The show is good because it focuses on JJ's trauma and her relationship to Kilgrave. Take that away and I'm not sure what we have. Would it be more up beat? As engaging if the BBEG of the second season isn't as personal for her?

I'm wondering if the intent is to continue with a second season? They've started introducing less power characters like Daredevil and Jessica Jones, and while DD is getting a second season, they might well be just effectively introducing such 'lesser' characters to the public. They could well be creating an ongoing narrative to cover the rest of the Marvel Universe, without betting the farm on any single property.

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
I'm wondering if the intent is to continue with a second season? They've started introducing less power characters like Daredevil and Jessica Jones, and while DD is getting a second season, they might well be just effectively introducing such 'lesser' characters to the public. They could well be creating an ongoing narrative to cover the rest of the Marvel Universe, without betting the farm on any single property.
It is possible we do not get to see a 2nd season. I think originally they wanted to do one season for each character and then do the Defenders.

Some teasers for the 2nd season of DD sure points to JJ and Luke Cage being characters in that show. http://io9.com/netflix-and-marvel-know-the-exact-ten-seconds-which-wil-1744261590 How much will they be in it I do not know. Maybe DD's second season wasn't supposed to be, but ratings forced Disney's hand and they put JJ and LC in it a bit.

DD had a lot of foreshadowing about the the enemy the Defenders will fight. For now I haven't seen any in JJ.

Ryujin

Legend
It is possible we do not get to see a 2nd season. I think originally they wanted to do one season for each character and then do the Defenders.

Some teasers for the 2nd season of DD sure points to JJ and Luke Cage being characters in that show. http://io9.com/netflix-and-marvel-know-the-exact-ten-seconds-which-wil-1744261590 How much will they be in it I do not know. Maybe DD's second season wasn't supposed to be, but ratings forced Disney's hand and they put JJ and LC in it a bit.

DD had a lot of foreshadowing about the the enemy the Defenders will fight. For now I haven't seen any in JJ.

"The Defenders" certainly makes sense. They did drop a comment about Matt Murdoch in JJ too.

*EDIT* I figure that it's only a matter of time before The Playboy Channel gets in on the comic book game too, by making a series for "Empowered."

Last edited:

Kramodlog

"The Defenders" certainly makes sense. They did drop a comment about Matt Murdoch in JJ too.

I'm ambivalent about the Defenders. A team composed of Hulk, Doctor Strange and the Silver Surfer sounds like a lot of fun. A team composed of JJ, DD, Luke Cage and Iron Fist sounds more like a neighborhood watch.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
They've started introducing less power characters like Daredevil and Jessica Jones,

I'm not sure I'd agree they were lesser powered. They're more powerful than Black Widow or Hawkeye, or most of Agents of SHIELD. JJ seems tougher than Captain America to me (Luke Cage, too). At least as tough.

Less famous, sure. Not lesser powered though!

Ryujin

Legend
I'm not sure I'd agree they were lesser powered. They're more powerful than Black Widow or Hawkeye, or most of Agents of SHIELD. JJ seems tougher than Captain America to me (Luke Cage, too). At least as tough.

Less famous, sure. Not lesser powered though!

Well given that Black Widow and Hawkeye are generally the butt of Avengers jokes..... ;)

[video=youtube;pb9l988kqL4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pb9l988kqL4[/video]

Though less famous certainly applies to JJ and Luke Cage, it doesn't to Daredevil. As far as comics go he was right up there with Spiderman, in my youth. The movies made the difference. After all, everyone really wants to forget THAT movie.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
. A team composed of JJ, DD, Luke Cage and Iron Fist sounds more like a neighborhood watch.

I think thats the point. Marvel doesn't want another franchise to compete with the Avengers flagship and thus steerss things towards the grim and gritty stories of people coping in the world. You can even credibly have 'normal' villains like Kingpin and the Maggia go up against them.

You can't really tell gritty ground-level stories with Silver Surfer and the Scorcerer Supreme or even the Hulk, although having Namor appear would be cool.

I'm interested to see what crossovers we get in the Marvelverse pulling SHEILD and the Defenders together against the 'normal' villains

Kramodlog

I do not mind the neighborhod watch heroes, just that the Defenders are so epic in scale. The name seems soiled. Marvel ruined my childhood. #michaelbay

What's most intriguing to me;

While I do enjoy the characterizations of the titular heroes (Charlie Cox did an adequate job as Daredevil, but Krysten Ritter is quite enjoyable as JJ), it's the villains that are making these two shows for me.

Vincent D'Onofrio's Wilson Fisk was brilliantly played; you grow sympathetic to him, which makes it only more horrifying when his rage takes over (I'm thinking of the car door).

David Tennant does a fantastic job of playing an obsessed stalker who is utterly and completely creepy.

I've been genuinely impressed with both shows; the characterizations of both the heroes, the supporting characters, and especially the villains make both shows extremely compelling.

Remove ads