Leif's AD&D 1E Game [OOC 01]

Leif

Adventurer
Old School Rangers

You do recall the Old Skool rule about multiple Rangers in a party, don't you? There is a rule in the 1E PH that no more than three rangers can work together on a continuing basis. This was elaborated in a Dragon article, where it was said that Rangers are too concerned for the people of the lands everywhere for them to have a concentrated force in one place, with the exception of rangers coming together to eliminate a specific threat and then dispersing again once that threat is quelled. We only have 2 players who wish to have rangers, so it's not a problem, but this seemed like a good time to remind everyone of the old-school ranger rule.

The actual rule is on page 24 at the bottom of the second column under "The following restrictions and strictures apply to Rangers:"

"3. No more than three rangers may ever operate together at any time."

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
*Ahem!*

To: The Esteemed Dungeoneer Deuce Traveler

What: A soon-to-begin game of 1E AD&D

Where: ENWorld

Who: Deuce Traveler, Scott DeWar, Helfdan, and Kiraya TiDrekkan

What-it-be-like: Some Dudes/Dudettes rolling some characters, making an adventuring party, and rockin the dungeon old-school, 1E AD&D, that is.

Will that do, your Deuceness??

I will keep and cherish it forever.

I rolled the following: http://invisiblecastle.com/stats/view/37270/

Str: 13, Int: 14, Wis: 14, Dex: 13, Con: 9, Cha: 11

I can't say I love the result, as nothing stands out and I was hoping for a 16+ somewhere. I might go with a straight fighter or straight magic-user. Then again, almost everyone else is going with multiple classes. I guess I could go with a dual-class with a fighter of a couple levels and a magic-user in order to have a spellcaster with armor. Was this possible in 1e? I think it was in 2e.

Last edited:

Leif

Adventurer
We're all arranging scores to suit ourselves, if that helps.

But your dual-classed human fighter, magic-user is also permitted to wear armor and use all of his fighter abilities once his magic-user level exceeds his fighter level. Until that time, if he is to gain any xp as a magic-user, he must abide fully by the restrictions of that class.

Last edited:

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
So if I wanted to nerf, I could go with a first level fighter/4th level magic-user dual-class for this game and be casting spells with armor while advancing solely from here on out as a magic-user. Well, if the DM would allow... :)

Leif

Adventurer
Hmm! Not sure that I like the sound of that. Pretty sure that I don't. That would just let you by-pass all of the inconvenience of dual-classing almost solely for the purpose of circumventing a rule that you don't care for.

No, we're not even going to start down that road, so it's disallowed.

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
I'm going to have to drop out so [MENTION=34958]Deuce Traveler[/MENTION], you can go ahead with your magic-user if you like. Sorry, I'm just not able to squeeze enough time together to get this character done. :(

Remove ads