• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Leif's AD&D 1E Game [OOC 01]

Leif

Adventurer
Old School Rangers

You do recall the Old Skool rule about multiple Rangers in a party, don't you? There is a rule in the 1E PH that no more than three rangers can work together on a continuing basis. This was elaborated in a Dragon article, where it was said that Rangers are too concerned for the people of the lands everywhere for them to have a concentrated force in one place, with the exception of rangers coming together to eliminate a specific threat and then dispersing again once that threat is quelled. We only have 2 players who wish to have rangers, so it's not a problem, but this seemed like a good time to remind everyone of the old-school ranger rule.

The actual rule is on page 24 at the bottom of the second column under "The following restrictions and strictures apply to Rangers:"

"3. No more than three rangers may ever operate together at any time."

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
*Ahem!*

To: The Esteemed Dungeoneer Deuce Traveler

What: A soon-to-begin game of 1E AD&D

Where: ENWorld

Who: Deuce Traveler, Scott DeWar, Helfdan, and Kiraya TiDrekkan

What-it-be-like: Some Dudes/Dudettes rolling some characters, making an adventuring party, and rockin the dungeon old-school, 1E AD&D, that is.

Will that do, your Deuceness??

I will keep and cherish it forever.

I rolled the following: http://invisiblecastle.com/stats/view/37270/

Str: 13, Int: 14, Wis: 14, Dex: 13, Con: 9, Cha: 11

I can't say I love the result, as nothing stands out and I was hoping for a 16+ somewhere. I might go with a straight fighter or straight magic-user. Then again, almost everyone else is going with multiple classes. I guess I could go with a dual-class with a fighter of a couple levels and a magic-user in order to have a spellcaster with armor. Was this possible in 1e? I think it was in 2e.

Last edited:

Leif

Adventurer
We're all arranging scores to suit ourselves, if that helps.

But your dual-classed human fighter, magic-user is also permitted to wear armor and use all of his fighter abilities once his magic-user level exceeds his fighter level. Until that time, if he is to gain any xp as a magic-user, he must abide fully by the restrictions of that class.

Last edited:

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
So if I wanted to nerf, I could go with a first level fighter/4th level magic-user dual-class for this game and be casting spells with armor while advancing solely from here on out as a magic-user. Well, if the DM would allow... :)

Leif

Adventurer
Hmm! Not sure that I like the sound of that. Pretty sure that I don't. That would just let you by-pass all of the inconvenience of dual-classing almost solely for the purpose of circumventing a rule that you don't care for.

No, we're not even going to start down that road, so it's disallowed.

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
I'm going to have to drop out so [MENTION=34958]Deuce Traveler[/MENTION], you can go ahead with your magic-user if you like. Sorry, I'm just not able to squeeze enough time together to get this character done. :(

Remove ads